The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#190522 - 12/11/09 04:12 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: Dagny]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
The off road tourer is an older (90's era) Trek 930 frame.

This is an older pic and I have changed out the seat and seatpost for a Brooks Champion Flyer instead. I built the wheels myself and run Conti Travel Contacts on them. The Trek now has fenders as well.

My road tourer is a Hollands (custom). In this pic I don't have any of the racks on it, but I used the same type of Tubus racks that I used on the Trek.

It also now has a Champion Flyer on it instead of the B17 that is pictured. The gearing on the Hollands is custom, and very low.

I use Ortlieb panniers for both and a handlebar bag on the road tourer. I love the Scott AT4 bars on the Trek, but I do lose the handlebar bag.

At the moment I just wish it wasn't 10 degrees outside so I could take one of them for a ride.

Greg

Edited by Greg_Sackett (12/11/09 04:16 PM)

#190531 - 12/11/09 04:49 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
There are many motors, both electric and gasoline powered that one can attach to their bicycle to extend the range/increase speed. These might be viable for folks with less than perfect physical condition.
Does anyone have any experience with any of those?
I worked for UPS last year and had a trailer and a bike which I used to deliver my packages. I could haul up to 300 lbs over the hills on my route and still have some semblance of control. I would seriously consider a trailer as well as one of those gasoline powered motors to assist in long, steep ascents if they actually have the oomph to go. The gas ones appear to be fairly economical, you could cover a lot of territory with a two gallon gas can.

#190535 - 12/11/09 05:17 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
There are many motors, both electric and gasoline powered that one can attach to their bicycle to extend the range/increase speed. These might be viable for folks with less than perfect physical condition.
Does anyone have any experience with any of those?
I worked for UPS last year and had a trailer and a bike which I used to deliver my packages. I could haul up to 300 lbs over the hills on my route and still have some semblance of control. I would seriously consider a trailer as well as one of those gasoline powered motors to assist in long, steep ascents if they actually have the oomph to go. The gas ones appear to be fairly economical, you could cover a lot of territory with a two gallon gas can.

#190553 - 12/11/09 07:21 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: Tarzan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The ones I have seen look like garbage - I wouldn't trust them. Several don't increase top speed beyond what a typical cyclist can attain (20MPH or so). They might be useful in some kind of limited situation, but most look like just one more thing to malfunction, adding weight and bulk.

A lot depends upon the circumstances and the distance you need to cover.

#190556 - 12/11/09 07:36 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you need a motor on a bike, just get a Scooter like Honda's Metropolitan. Adding a motor to a bicycle looks like half a thought.

#190691 - 12/13/09 01:38 AM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
If you want a motor on something, just get one of those razor scooters.

#190803 - 12/14/09 07:04 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: comms]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
There has been a lot said about bikes since I posted, some of it personal opinion. I will only comment on the facts.

Mountain bikes are heavy and cumbersome. Ok if you are willing to spend some good money you can buy a sub 20lb cross country bike but on the whole they are heavy. The geometry of a mountain bike is set for better handling, control and stability and not efficiency over long distance. 26” wheels, short cranks and upright cycling position all sap the efficiency.

Why are wheels so important? Wheels are the major moving part of a bike. The heaver the wheels the more energy is used to turn them. Machine tied wheels sag and flex a bit. Hand built wheels can be tied a lot stiffer giving much better rolling resistance. And again, anyone that spends a small fortune on a bike is nuts to buy it off the shelf without specking it. That includes, at least having the wheels rebuilt.

A point about fixies and single speed bikes. I said they are for the hard core but saying that there is a growing interest in fixie/ss touring. Fixies still hold some of the TT records (you will have to look them up as I can not remember them of the top of my head) and they are actually very efficient at hill climbing as you have a 100% of traction all the time. SS is far better to use down hill.

This is all relative as using a bike for bug out we need to take a different approach. A similar approach to cycle touring but not being frightened to jump of the loaded bike and push it over rough ground and up steep hills. If we were to seriously consider using a bike for bug out we almost have to take the Far East’s view of the bicycle, as a jack of all trades, go anywhere pack horse.

#190804 - 12/14/09 07:07 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: PureSurvival]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
Greg your Holland is sweet. Made even sweeter by the Brooks saddle.

Edit: the Selle Italia Flite makes the other bike.

Edited by PureSurvival (12/14/09 07:10 PM)

#191070 - 12/16/09 10:22 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: Dagny]
drahthaar Offline

That mountain bike in your pic (assuming it's yours) would be fine.

I would suggest that you look at getting a set of heavy duty handmade wheels built up (by someone like universalcycles.com - I have no relationship with them other than being a satisfied customer). The wheels will make or break the bike, esp when you load it down with 50-80 pounds of packs.

Next get a set of good kevlar lined tires, such as specialized armadillos. I've commuted through city streets on those for over two years with only one flat.

Get some good weight-rated racks and panniers.

One alternative I just saw mentioned above is a trailer for your bike - that would allow you to just dump your BOB into a trailer instead of dealing with panniers.

#191876 - 12/26/09 09:00 PM Re: Bug Out Bike - Mt, Hybrid or Road? [Re: drahthaar]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Bike lights -- what's your all's choice?

I'm particularly curious as to whether generator lights are made anymore. I had one on my ten-speed Nishiki when I was a kid. [addendum: Googled and answered my own question - yes they are still made ]

For the past few years, I've used Niterider Trail Rat 2.0

10w halogen, heavy NiMH battery. Plenty of light for the sissy city riding/bikejoring I do. Fine for commuting.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3660787

Today I used a gift card to order a Planet Bike Blaze 2-Watt LED Runs on two AA batteries.

http://www.rei.com/product/797836

And the SureFire Saint Minimus LED Headlamp which I will carry hiking and biking. 100 lumens max. CR123A lithium battery. Have been looking at this headlamp for awhile. Love my Surefire flashlights.

http://www.rei.com/product/796823

Attachments
ets - bike light.jpg

ets headlamp.jpg

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.