The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#190721 - 12/13/09 01:48 PM Re: Locked out [Re: SwampDonkey]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I think the limiting factor is going to be the energy required to turn over the mechanical starter--same as with a keyed ignition.

A few years ago I looked into a remote starter for my car, but didn't end up buying one. The installer said that he needed a "chipped" key so the remote would work, without my key in the ignition. My impression--and I should have asked--was that he was going to put the chip next to the ignition switch, so that the car would recognize its presence and that, once that was satisfied, if I wasn't using the remote control, I could use an unchipped key.

Edit: anyone tried this?

Edited by UncleGoo (12/13/09 01:48 PM)

#190726 - 12/13/09 03:20 PM Re: Locked out [Re: UncleGoo]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'm actually fairly adept at slim-jimming cars, usually with a coat hangar. Not that most people have those handy.

And I've certainly locked myself out of my house once or twice. Sometimes I throw a spare key on my dog's collar if I'm out for a run (she stays home). The house I live in now is much harder to get into without breaking a window than the last several. I'll have to think about that.

#190729 - 12/13/09 03:55 PM Re: Locked out [Re: UncleGoo]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
UncleGoo, I was thinking more about getting into the car with the keyless entry. If I can get into the vehicle then I have access to all my stuff, including a 12v PowerBox that I can boost the vehicle battery with. Do vehicles with keyless entry also have a back-up keyhole?

Mike

#190730 - 12/13/09 04:16 PM Re: Locked out [Re: SwampDonkey]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

AuntGoo's Prius has keyless entry and ignition. Inside the fob, there's a traditional key. The only keyhole is in the driver's door. It's kind of spooky to walk up to the car, and have the dome light come on, before you even touch the car.

#190732 - 12/13/09 04:43 PM Re: Locked out [Re: UncleGoo]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Cool! Does the Prius system detect the remote fob or do you have to press a button on the fob?

If someone stole or found your keys it would be easy for them to detect which vehicle in a parking lot was yours by pressing the key fob auto-start, lock/unlock (lights flash), or even distress horn button.

I never thought of this before because I do not carry a remote vehicle starter, I have too much stuff on my keyrings now.

Once in your vehicle a thief could also then usually determine your home address from the ownership/insurance papers and access your house with the keys on the keyring or with the garage door opener in the vehicle.

Mike

#190746 - 12/13/09 09:15 PM Re: Locked out [Re: SwampDonkey]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

The fob doesn't do a remote start on this car. It does however have a panic button, like any other fob, so it would be easy to locate the vehicle. You don't need to press any buttons to unlock the car, but there is one, if you want to use it. If you walk up to either of the front doors, or the hatch, and place your hand on the handle, the door unlocks. Starting the car is similar: the fob stays in your pocket, and you just press the on/off switch on the dash. To lock the doors on exit, you can use a button on the fob, or you can press a button on the exterior doorhandle. When I use her car, the fob goes into the watchpocket of my jeans and stays there. This car took some time for me to get used to: I drive a 20 year old truck with auto-nothing.

#190748 - 12/13/09 09:28 PM Re: Locked out [Re: UncleGoo]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Smart Car. I also am the owner of an older not-so-smart truck.

Mike

#190760 - 12/14/09 12:22 AM Re: Locked out [Re: SwampDonkey]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
My belt is a "money belt" with a small concealed zipper compartment. I keep a spare car key in there.

For my house, I've installed a keypad lock on the garage door. So, in order to get inside you have to first key in a combination to open the overhead garage door. Then, enter a combination to open the man door to let you inside. As long as I remember the two combinations I don't have to worry as much about getting locked out.

I used to keep spare car and house keys in my wallet, but then I realized if someone ever mugged me, not only am I handing them my identification (with my home address on it), but I would also be giving them the means to get to my address before I do (the car key) and a way to enter the house unopposed (the house key). I figured that wasn't too smart.

#190768 - 12/14/09 01:28 AM Re: Locked out [Re: Paul810]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
One of the problems with the just need a key fob cars is if you place the key on top of the car. The car can start, you drive off, key falls off of car, and you get to your destination turn off the car and it will not re-start because you don't have a key fob. Don't know if it works on all cars with the fob only start but i have heard of it happening.

Do know that if you place the key fob in the trunk of a Corvette the receiver will not see the fob and when you close the car everything locks and you will be calling onstar to unlock the car. And no i didn't do this one, i was out with a friend of mine in her new Corvette and she locked us out of the car.

#190769 - 12/14/09 01:46 AM Re: Locked out [Re: RayW]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have my ways. All already described here.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.