Topic Options
#190645 - 12/12/09 05:04 PM Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA

#190646 - 12/12/09 05:37 PM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: kd7fqd]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Seems to happen every few years ... esp. with the early (sudden) winter storms. Hopefully they will be OK.

Reminds me though ... I need to practice building snow caves.

the other Pete

#190655 - 12/12/09 06:49 PM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: Pete]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It is happening EVERY year! And sometimes more than once a year. There are still bodies up there that they haven't found.

If they are such experienced hikers, why are they there when this weather was predicted a week ago (at least)? Why are they calling for help? Why are they putting rescuers lives in danger to retrieve them?

Personally, I'm getting tired of these idiots. They're just bozos from the It Won't Happen To Me School of Fools.

If people insist on climbing mountains in winter, they can darned well be responsible for themselves. You go up, you get yourself down, and stop whining.

Sue

#190670 - 12/12/09 10:41 PM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Strovink also said the climbers had not rented an emergency locator beacon which would indicate their location for searchers.

He said it costs $5 to rent a beacon.

Crimeny. Heck of a thing to cheap out on.

I wish them, and the rescuers, well. Mt. Hood is as alluring as it can be lethal. Seems every year that a few people, and their loved ones, find that out the hard way.

#190673 - 12/12/09 11:18 PM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: Dagny]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I had the option to rent a PLB for a few dollars a day, I wouldn't even blink. Sign me up! It's the big up-front outlay that makes me hesitate.

#190677 - 12/13/09 12:23 AM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: dougwalkabout]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
It's the big up-front outlay that makes me hesitate.

And the possibility of ever-changing standards threatening to making units obsolete.

#190698 - 12/13/09 02:55 AM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: dweste]
LazyJoe Offline

Loc: Oregon
One climber has been located, deceased. Still looking for the other two... sad.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/three_climbers_reported_missin.html

#190703 - 12/13/09 03:32 AM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: Susan]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Susan
It is happening EVERY year! And sometimes more than once a year. There are still bodies up there that they haven't found.

If they are such experienced hikers, why are they there when this weather was predicted a week ago (at least)? Why are they calling for help? Why are they putting rescuers lives in danger to retrieve them?

Personally, I'm getting tired of these idiots. They're just bozos from the It Won't Happen To Me School of Fools.

If people insist on climbing mountains in winter, they can darned well be responsible for themselves. You go up, you get yourself down, and stop whining.

Sue

Sue, can I appeal to your better nature and ask that you don't call these climbers idiots, bozos, and fools? They went for a climb up an accessible summit adequately equipped, in a normal climbing season for that summit, they are experienced, and they are not as much endangered by adverse weather as by the possibility that they have taken a fall. If they have fallen, even if they had a PLB they might have lost it in the fall, or be incapacitated such that they couldn't activate it.

These climbers are human beings and deserve better than you've given them. My thoughts are with them and hoping for their safe return, and with their families too. And besides, I don't know any weather advisory issued a week ago that is any good in the states of Washington or Oregon. Weather forecasts are generally good for 72 hours tops, beyond that they are not very reliable.

#190708 - 12/13/09 04:06 AM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: dweste]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: dweste

And the possibility of ever-changing standards threatening to making units obsolete.

SARSAT PLB standards do not change rapidly. There are significant international obligation entanglements that give the system considerable inertia.

Also there is a substantial investment in the private and public sectors in beacons and many people to oppose unnecessary changes. If you're forced to replace your SARSAT PLB there be a lot of unhappy airplane and boat owners, and the Navy won't like it either. Not to mention that satellites are expensive and incompatible satellites difficult to fund.

To give perspective, the SARSAT system went live in 1982 and I believe every beacon that worked then would still work until February of this year when some older frequencies were cut off: 26+ years.

There are likely to be advancements and extensions that will be desirable. But a PLB purchased today is likely to be usable, as specified when sold, for the life of the unit.

#190713 - 12/13/09 05:32 AM Re: Hikers Stranded on Mt. Hood [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would add that there is not yet enough real information to critique or evaluate this incident. Normal news channels, barring the exceptional in depth journalistic effort, will not provide enough data to support a rational analysis.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.