The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#19076 - 09/18/03 04:26 PM Re: Yes! -- Some feedback
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Craig,

I will pass along your suggestion to AMK for consideration. Thanks for your kind words.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#19077 - 09/18/03 04:32 PM Also ... the Aitor Jungle Kings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still Available

note: tourniquet and ctault fork on sheath are acutally a slingshot device. I think these things can shoot arrow-darts ??

http://www.cutlerytogo.com/aitor1.html

http://www.cutlerytogo.com/skinsporknif.html

#19078 - 09/18/03 04:38 PM Re: Yes!
Hutch66 Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Awesome!! One question and one comment.

Question: How does the mirror compare to a starflash (or any other plastic mil-spec mirror, the starflash is just the one I am familiar with)

Comment: I'd like to second Craig's recomendation for an ETS edition. That would be great.

Thanks,

Chris.

#19079 - 09/18/03 04:38 PM Re: Yes! JUST A QUESTION MATE
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Mick,

It was a decision the revolved around cost. I had hoped for a $20 kit (silly me!) and the $25 we ended up with (both street prices) was still a fight to meet. In addition to the the expense of the water treatment, and my current choice (Katadyn MP1) is not cheap, there would also be the need for a container to be included and I have some specific ideas on what I want for that component, it also isn't cheap to have done as I'd like. The HD aluminum foil provides a means to boil water and that, combined with the good odds in the survivor's favor in most cases, will have to do. As you note, that is the sort of thing that a purchaser can add and the package insert makes specific suggestions as to that. If this kit is a commercial success, the possibility exists for an "advanced" kit follow-on that covers water treatment and some other upgrades and additions, though obviously at a much higher price point.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#19080 - 09/18/03 04:45 PM Re: Not a Brewer ... an Aitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes i do. When I graduated Navy AOCS school the first thing we bought were a fancy expensive car and an expensive exotic survival knife.

I have an Explorer with a built-in flaregun launcher on the sheath. Also, there was/is an attachement that you can bolt thru the wire-cutter hole in the blade to turn it in to a harpoon. But this harpoon is large and would work on shark or whales not average game fish. Kinda like hunting rabbit with a bazooka. The iodine tablets have their own little compartment on the bottom of the capsule ... the top cap is a magnifing lens. The needle & thread sutures were replaced by butterfly bandaids.

In looking i have only seen one other offered on ebay. Don't remeber outhers in any blade auctions. I think it safe to say it is a collectible.

I paid 80.00 marked down from 160.00 in 1986. Have carried it around the world with me and caught and ate a monkey with it.

And note, at the time, a survival knife book, stated this was the only hollow handle knife that actually worked. He hammered i into a tree and stood on it for several hours or use it to climb the tree as a foothold. Didn't impact the knife or bend it. It is sturdy and not light. And way cool !!

#19081 - 09/18/03 04:51 PM Re: Not a Brewer ... an Aitor
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I know my brother has one.He and I were also in the Navy.I am still doing reserves and am looking for a realy good survival knife.Check out my bio.And tanx for the PM

#19082 - 09/18/03 04:55 PM Re: Yes!
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chris,
Quote:
How does the mirror compare to a starflash (or any other plastic mil-spec mirror, the starflash is just the one I am familiar with)

I cannot say at this point, per se, because we have not yet seen full production conforming prototypes. Compared to the StarFlash, I think it will be as easy or easier to aim since I find a grid easier to use than the edge of the "star." YMMV It will have more surface area since it has no "rim" as the StarFlash has, so it will have a proportionally larger reflective area, always a plus. Overall reflective performance will be comparable, I think, to the StarFlash, perhaps better since the latest StarFlashes don't seem to be as effective as earlier production units. It will certainly be capable of generating an effective signal out 10-20 miles under ideal conditions. It may or may not float, that depends on a lot of factors having to do with the final material selection that have not yet been finalized. The StarFlash floats because it is hollow inside, the polycarbonate is heavier than water. Some acrylics are lighter. Best answer I can provide at this time.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#19083 - 09/22/03 12:45 AM Thanks (nt)
Hutch66 Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA

#19084 - 10/14/03 04:58 PM Re: Yes!
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Perhaps purchasers could braid a para-cord lanyard.

#19085 - 12/17/03 08:57 PM Re: Kit Endorsed by Doug?
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
That was me that posted that on the lightweight backpacker forum...haha. It's been awhile since I visited. Regarding the mirror in the kit, I wonder how the ChromeFx Sheeting (metal bonded to lexan) would compare to the acrylic mirror in the kit. I just posted that today in another thread. Doug needs to check it out. It is a pliable material though, so that might make it less useful.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.