The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#196703 - 02/27/10 03:58 AM Re: Locked out [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
I use a single key for the car and carry another on the set for the house. And yet a third key in a magnetic key box on top of the car frame. Difficult to get to but not impossible as a last resort.

#197820 - 03/12/10 05:24 AM Re: Locked out [Re: KI6IW]
RichStillinWyo Offline
Stranger

Great idea!!!! I think that I will share it around to family. Normally I keep both house and spare vehicle keys on me.

Originally Posted By: KI6IW
I have a key safe mounted outside of the house. It contains our keys and the neighbor's. The combination can be changed, so if we need to give it out to someone else (like a contractor doing work on the property) we can. It can also be given to first responders via 9-1-1 if they need to make entry.

#197929 - 03/13/10 03:53 PM Re: Locked out [Re: RichStillinWyo]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

here's another "lock out"--your gas cap,does it have a lock? does everyone who drives that car have a key or know where it is hidden in the car..i say this because--ya...i took off all the extra keys on my ring before i went on a two week canoe trip to cut down on the stuff i would have tucked away in my pack--id,cell phone,credit card,all the "real world" things..and yes when i swapped off keys onto another ring i just put on the car and house key..250 miles on the road i pulled in to top off the tank before heading down the trail to the canoe landing and no gas cap key....
well i ripped the cap off with a screwdriver explaining to some folks gassing up there powerboats what a dope i was to forget the key--so on--lucky that little town had a place to get a new cap..

#198039 - 03/15/10 08:20 AM Re: Locked out [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I have a code lock on my tool shed and a house key well hidden inside there. Just recently I asked a good friend and neighbor to go inside and check out a fire alarm in our house. Worked like a charm.

We're a group of close friends that live fairly close together. We're probably going to implement that we don't stash our own keys in some hiding place on our property - we stash EACH OTHERS keys. Friend A has the key to friend B, friend B has the keys to friend C and so on. Any burglar who finds a set of keys in any of these hiding places will be though out of luck trying to find the house it fits to.

Of course the hiding places will be hard to find - but let's be realistic, there are not that many possible options (dry, out of sight but possible to reach etc) and a thorough search by anyone who's not totally dim witted will probably turn up some keys.

#198542 - 03/20/10 10:03 PM Re: Locked out [Re: oldsoldier]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
I have a spare housekey hidden near my residence, but not actually on the property. This idea I got from geocaching.
What I did was take a standard metal coathanger, snip & straighten it, hammer one end flat, and form that end into a hook. So, it resembles an upside down J. At the straight end, I taped a set of spare apt keys to it. I then went to a storm drain on my street, up a little ways from my apt, and dropped it in, with the J part of the hook over the grate. It blends in perfectly, and no one EVER looks in the storm drains. I check on it when I go for a jog, and pull it up once a month or so to ensure its still attached. Even if someone finds it, they would have to figure out who it belongs to then which door inside the complex.

you didn't get that idea from MY geocache, did you? i have had a micro hidden in a storm drain like that for a few years...haven't seen it replicated anywhere, though.

i've been meaning to hide a set of keys ala GCing for a while now, but have yet to make the effort - despite having locked myself out at least twice since deciding i need a back-up plan.

dolt.

#198549 - 03/20/10 11:11 PM Re: Locked out [Re: nouseforaname]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Our garage door can be opened with a keypad next to it. Just inside is the spare housekey we've got hidden.

As for my car the spare key is in my wallet pouch.

#202274 - 05/22/10 02:43 AM Re: Locked out [Re: Russ]
BrianB Offline

Locksmith or break cheapest to replace piece of glass in a pinch. =)

#202276 - 05/22/10 03:58 AM Re: Locked out [Re: BrianB]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I have a spare car key attached to inside engine bay with a neodymium magnet, no way it's going to fall off. It doesn't have the remote for the ignition kill system but I know how to bypass it.

As for house key, I have key to the shed hidden in the yard, then house key hidden inside the shed. Chance of someone finding both is simply astronomical.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.