Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#195359 - 02/08/10 04:50 PM Re: Locked out [Re: Anonymous]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Since I have two dogs that go almost everywhere with me, I normally don't carry a purse (need both hands) but carry a small nylon billfold in my pocket with a car door key inside. However, I've got myself in the habit of always using the remote to lock and unlock doors and haven't locked my keys inside the car in years. I live in a semi-rural area on acreage so I do have a hiding place for a house key, that's not too close to the house and doubtfully would be found by anyone else.

#195371 - 02/08/10 06:32 PM Re: Locked out [Re: UTAlumnus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"The Toyotas with this system won't let you lock the key inside. If you try, they emit a long, distinctive beep and won't lock the door."

Most of the newer cars are like this, I think.

HOWEVER... that can only be depended upon IF THE KEY IS IN THE IGNITION. Drop it on the floor, set it down on the seat, etc, and the car will think you have it in your hand and lock the door.

That's why I always carry a $1 door key (unchipped).

Sue

#195375 - 02/08/10 07:11 PM Re: Locked out [Re: Susan]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have a spare housekey hidden near my residence, but not actually on the property. This idea I got from geocaching.
What I did was take a standard metal coathanger, snip & straighten it, hammer one end flat, and form that end into a hook. So, it resembles an upside down J. At the straight end, I taped a set of spare apt keys to it. I then went to a storm drain on my street, up a little ways from my apt, and dropped it in, with the J part of the hook over the grate. It blends in perfectly, and no one EVER looks in the storm drains. I check on it when I go for a jog, and pull it up once a month or so to ensure its still attached. Even if someone finds it, they would have to figure out who it belongs to then which door inside the complex. The downside is that there is always a potential of losing the keys-but, this is a relatively small price to pay I suppose.
I cannot lock myself out of my apt, as the door has to be locked via key. My jeep is a softtop, so locking myself out is a non-issue. However, the backup keys are in the event I lose my keyring-I have dupes of my apt, jeep, & gun safe on there. The gun safe may be an issue to have another dupe made, as I have to contact the manufacturer directly.

#195401 - 02/09/10 02:14 AM Re: Locked out [Re: oldsoldier]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Man Severely Injured by Drunk Driver While Fishing In Storm Drain! More news at eleven!"

Sue

#195405 - 02/09/10 04:46 AM Re: Locked out [Re: scafool]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Not cheap ($70) but there is one solution available for vehicles with a towing kit. It's called a HitchSafe - combination lock insert for a 2" hitch receiver. Besides keys, you can include currency or a credit card! Follow the link for the pictures. The following text is from the website. NO, I do not own one - my hitch receiver is only 1 1/4" sq. (Class 2)

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2006/09/01/hitchsafe_key_vault/
The HitchSafe measures approximately 5" long x 3" wide on the combination end, and it weighs one pound six ounces. The HitchSafe’s body is made of metal with a black finish. It will fit into any standard 2" receiver, and the included EVA foam inserts make the HitchSafe adjustable for pin hole variances. According to the specifications listed on the site, "the maximum hole reach from front of receiver to middle of pin hole is 2-9/16", and the maximum body depth into receiver is 4-3/8.".

The HitchSafe is the perfect gadget for people with unused or seldom used hitch receivers. Never again will a magnetic key box of mine be lost on a bumpy back country road, and never again will I have to smash a window to get inside my locked vehicle. Well, never again after I order an additional HitchSafe for myself; this one went on my 16 year old daughter’s truck. Now I have peace of mind that she will not only be able to get into her truck if she loses her key, she’ll also have access to the emergency $20 bill that I’ve tucked inside. If your or someone you care about has a vehicle with a hitch receiver, I can highly recommend this ultra-secure method of carrying extra keys and cash.

#195416 - 02/09/10 12:11 PM Re: Locked out [Re: Susan]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Susan
"Man Severely Injured by Drunk Driver While Fishing In Storm Drain! More news at eleven!"

Sue

If you cannot get out of the way of a car barrelling at you, well, you deserve to get hit wink

Not that it couldnt happen, but the likelihood of it on my street is small. The geography and layout of the street is in my favor. Small town, not a lot of traffic, little used road.

#195424 - 02/09/10 02:00 PM Re: Locked out [Re: oldsoldier]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I have a combo box next to the back door. Its not hidden. If someone wants to get in my house, they're just going to break a window elsewhere on the house instead of using a crowbar and sledge on the lockbox.

You don't have to go to elaborate measures, just enough effort to make it so they'll find some other way in, or move on. Typical American houses built in the last 20 years are defensive nightmares so chances are they'll find another way in without much effort.

Everyone's situation is different of course. But you have to think about the most likely course of action. Don't be too smart for your own good.

#195454 - 02/09/10 06:41 PM Re: Locked out [Re: clarktx]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Those asre some astute, common sense "observations", and I agree with you!

#195499 - 02/10/10 08:36 AM Re: Locked out [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

I lived in a neighborhood in SoCal where every single house was burglarized except mine and one other... both of us had barking dogs IN THE HOUSE.

Sue

#195502 - 02/10/10 11:29 AM Re: Locked out [Re: Susan]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have carried a spare key inside of the gas cap lid of my Chevy for a long time. There is some sheet metal supports in there that will hold a key securely. The truck is black, and I covered the key with black duct tape. It is practically invisible even when the lid is open, and it can't be lost.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.