Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#190783 - 12/14/09 01:00 PM Re: Locked out [Re: UpstateTom]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: UpstateTom
The car, other than the spare key, is more of a problem. The car has one of those *&^&^ computer chips, so the car won't work without the special key. This will be the last car I own that has that, unless I have no other choice. Ideally I'd have push button start and keyless entry. This is 2009, why should I need a metal key to operate my car? That's like 11th century technology.

It's becoming very common for a car to require a chipped key for the ignition. The nicer the car is, the more likely it is to have this technology.

My car has remote start and keyless entry, but I still need to put the chipped key into the ignition and turn it on before putting my foot on the brake pedal, or it cuts out.

Some cars are truly keyless and work on RF technology. You stick the key in your pocket and the car unlocks when you walk up to it, and the start button works when you're inside the car. That's pretty neat, but it doesn't make solving the spare key issue any easier.

Edited by chaosmagnet (12/14/09 05:21 PM)

#190791 - 12/14/09 04:11 PM Re: Locked out [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

How about storing spare keys in an unused power outlet ?

OK you may think that someone could find out if they plug something in it and find no power. But what I mean is that you have two power outelts side by side in your backyard or tool shed ..etc . One with real 110v and the other one empty and covered (looks like a spare outlet if you need to wire it in the future). Inside, there is no wiring, only the keys.

Some folks have tried it and they are still lucky no one found out.

#190796 - 12/14/09 05:39 PM Re: Locked out [Re: Chisel]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

there a million places to hide a key.the trick is to make finding it take time,which the bad guys don't want.things like under a rock by the sidewalk or in a power box are easy finds.under a rock in a pile of rocks in a garden,painted brown with parts of it filed down so it does not shout out "key" and hid behind a tree or green and hung deep inside a bush.in a bit of phony trash inside the garbage can,slipped under a shingle on the side of the house..those are all time wasters and the in and out gang won't work those..plus all those key hiders sold in catalogs are just targets.

#190854 - 12/15/09 02:30 AM Re: Locked out [Re: philip]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
And I'm not worried about getting locked out of this baby:

Obligatory link back to flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/4185678147/

#190973 - 12/16/09 02:28 AM Re: Locked out [Re: chaosmagnet]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: UpstateTom
The car, other than the spare key, is more of a problem. The car has one of those *&^&^ computer chips, so the car won't work without the special key. This will be the last car I own that has that, unless I have no other choice. Ideally I'd have push button start and keyless entry. This is 2009, why should I need a metal key to operate my car? That's like 11th century technology.

It's becoming very common for a car to require a chipped key for the ignition. The nicer the car is, the more likely it is to have this technology.

I know. But what people don't realize is that it's a step backwards in technology. Without having to have a key, I can access any of my work computer systems, from anywhere in the world. Why should I have to continue to carry hardware to operate my car? Why isn't my car smart enough to recognise my password, my fingerprint, or my voice? To me it's just because people haven't demanded it, because they're so used to carrying things around.

#190988 - 12/16/09 04:00 AM Re: Locked out [Re: UpstateTom]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
They've been too busy making cars stupid-proof.

Even though you have a chipped key, that key may be sitting on the seat when you locked the door. Many times, you just need to get past the door lock, not past the ignition lock.

Sue

#191012 - 12/16/09 02:56 PM Re: Locked out [Re: Susan]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have had a couple of these chipped keys in my last two vehicles. As I understand it, w/ my models, you don't need a chipped key to open the door only turn the ignition.

#191014 - 12/16/09 03:28 PM Re: Locked out [Re: scafool]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Let’s see … keep spare keys for home, office and car on person. Keep spare keys for home and cars hidden outside home. Garage door opener in cars so can get in that way (but carry and hide spare keys to house in case door inside garage is locked or the garage door itself is locked). Of course wife and I both have keys to each other’s cars. Select neighbors, friends and family members also have house keys. Am I missing anything important?

#191017 - 12/16/09 03:38 PM Re: Locked out [Re: Susan]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Been there, done that. Not a nice place to visit and definitely don't want to go back. See previous post.

#191093 - 12/17/09 01:50 AM Re: Locked out [Re: chaosmagnet]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
That's pretty neat, but it doesn't make solving the spare key issue any easier.

The Toyotas with this system won't let you lock the key inside. If you try, they emit a long, distinctive beep and won't lock the door.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.