Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#190699 - 12/13/09 03:06 AM Re: Lost but not alone [Re: UpstateTom]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: UpstateTom
I have never done it. I don't quite understand it.

As I understand it, the drum walk is one of many exercises to help you experience how, because we are vision-entic, we have foregotten to be aware of the sensory input of our hearing, touch, smell, etcetera. Be excluding vision with a blindfold, you experience navigation with your other senses and learn that your awareness of the feeling of slope, the sound and feel of what is underfoot, the echo-non echo / sound-deadening qualities of close objects, the smell of certain flora and fauna as you near them, and such are always being offered by your senses if you open your awareness to them.

Dim light navigation, stalking, moving quietly, back-tracking, and things I am sure I have not yet discovered can all be materially aided by wider use of more of the clues offered by our senses.

I continue as a student of these practices.

Edited by dweste (12/13/09 03:17 AM)

#190704 - 12/13/09 03:37 AM Re: Lost but not alone [Re: dweste]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Ah, ok. I believe I get it, and that sounds interesting. I would still suggest some sort of helmet though, in case you trip on something or walk into a branch.

#190706 - 12/13/09 03:48 AM Re: Lost but not alone [Re: UpstateTom]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: UpstateTom
... I would still suggest some sort of helmet though, in case you trip on something or walk into a branch.

Yeah, I seriously considered full body armor!

Part of the idea is to learn a different way to walk that eliminates almost all potential for tripping, stepping on dry crackly branches or leaves, etcetera. In the group I am learning from it is called "fox walking." I hope to be taught this technique in a week or so.

Another part of the idea is to learn to sense objects as you approach them, but from what I can see everybody walks into branches from time to time. The blindfold offers some eye protection and your relatively slow speed limits most potential injury. I do wear a substantial hat with a brim and crown that also limit potential injury, but I get your point.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.