Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#190284 - 12/09/09 04:18 AM Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;)
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Anyone know of a thermal switch that will close the circuit at 25*F ???

I need to insulate and air tight my pump house my 3/8" pressure switch line just froze (barely - took 10min to thaw with propane heater) it's 20*F. I`m going to insulate it, make it air tight (as can be), put up some walls (OSB), and put in an overhead heat lamp. I want to rig the heat lamp to a thermal switch to kick on at 25*F and probably turn off at 27*, or maybe on at 23 off at 27... not too sure yet what kind of temps it will maintain once I get it insulated.

Ideas ???

The well house is about 7'x7' so it's not huge, and has 8' walls, and open ceiling (which I will close to form a mini-1' tall attic space.

#190287 - 12/09/09 04:47 AM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Heat tracing cable might be an option. Tyco thermal has a site advertising their line of it.
http://www.tycothermal.com/usa/english/

There is a downloadable pdf that explains the idea in a lot more detail here.
http://www.tycothermal.com/assets/Americ..._Guide_0509.pdf

They also sell a controller that turns the system on if it gets close to freezing temperatures (I think they say 40*F) but I believe most of the heating cable systems are self regulated for temperature anyhow.

Not an expert in this or related to the company but it seems more effective than a heat lamp would be.

Edited by scafool (12/09/09 04:48 AM)

#190288 - 12/09/09 04:51 AM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: scafool]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

The area I need to heat is <10" and the sensitive area is <5"... I think insulating may do the trick, will put a temp monitor in their to see what the lows drop too.

I was thinking too and I think a Heater/AC monitor will work, those kick on your floor or window AC/Heater units... available at most box stores!

#190289 - 12/09/09 05:07 AM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

You can get short heat cables in most building supply and hardware stores. You don't need to buy hundreds of feet of it.
I have also seen it sold as heating for oil sumps on stationary machinery and for battery warmers.
Anyway it was just a thought.

So if you are going to put a heater in the shed then why not just put an old house baseboard heater in there instead of rigging a light and thermostat controller?
I know baseboard heaters can be found fairly cheaply complete with thermostats. I think they are usually regulated so they don't get hot enough to cause a fire, but you might want to check and be sure.

I don't like the stand alone electric space heaters because they usually go too high in temperature (glowing red) on the elements and can start fires.

#190290 - 12/09/09 05:27 AM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: scafool]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: scafool
You can get short heat cables in most building supply and hardware stores. You don't need to buy hundreds of feet of it.
I have also seen it sold as heating for oil sumps on stationary machinery and for battery warmers.
Anyway it was just a thought.

So if you are going to put a heater in the shed then why not just put an old house baseboard heater in there instead of rigging a light and thermostat controller?
I know baseboard heaters can be found fairly cheaply complete with thermostats. I think they are usually regulated so they don't get hot enough to cause a fire, but you might want to check and be sure.

I don't like the stand alone electric space heaters because they usually go too high in temperature (glowing red) on the elements and can start fires.

The heat cables scare me, maybe unjustly but it seems like a controlled short could cause a fire pretty easily. Same with baseboard heaters, heard about fires/damages.. I guess really anything could heat lamp, something fall on it, etc.. L O L.

Thanks for the ideas, not knocking you or them wink I plan to explore them all.

#190302 - 12/09/09 01:02 PM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: Todd W]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Thermocube is a temperature controlled power socket for things like extension cords to engine preheaters and such.
This link is just one possible supplier. There are choices of setpoints.

http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResult...CFdA65QodFRg-rw

#190333 - 12/09/09 04:19 PM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: unimogbert]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Awesome thanks!

BTW - It's froze again this morning... even after I thawed it, and insulated it somewhat last night. The pump house is just too drafty with the hole in the wall and eve vents all around it, sitting on a concrete slab in the shade 95% of the day.

Going to have to insulate it ASAP before the next storm hits! It's one thing to lose power but have water in the tank to use it's another to be completely waterless and rely on my 5g jugs and lugging them around wink

#190338 - 12/09/09 04:59 PM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

In the mean time leave a tap running just a little bit.
If there is a trickle of water flowing it is usually enough to prevent pipes from freezing.

#190340 - 12/09/09 05:51 PM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: scafool]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: scafool
In the mean time leave a tap running just a little bit.
If there is a trickle of water flowing it is usually enough to prevent pipes from freezing.

We did that shocked last night before bed... yikes.

45 minutes of my heater running on the lines and the pressure switch worked, and pressure gauge adjusted (like last night) to normal but still no water pressure in the house. Basement temp was 45*F so I know not in there...

Going to have to get it insulated sooner than later, and get a heat lamp or something in there for maintaining the temp.

I think I`ll probably insulate the lil-pump house entirely, and then build a lil box around the pressure tank, and pipe setup to keep it even more insulated. And then just try to use a lamp in there only... that should work rather well I hope, and be cheap.

#190353 - 12/09/09 08:19 PM Re: Thermal Switch & Winter Lesson ;) [Re: Todd W]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

We have water again.

Cold full pressure but hot is slow in the kitchen, I`m thinking since it hasn't run in there sense Sunday, yet in the bathroom it's fast probably because I showered with it.

Going to have to make sure we keep the hot in use even w/out power to keep it moving.

We also set cold to drip last night, gonna do that to hot too I guess until we get it settled!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 396 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.