Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#184935 - 10/11/09 09:06 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Andy]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Andy

I was thinking about putting a hotel giveaway sewing kit in there but didn't have any at home. And didn't feel like buying 500 of them from the hotel supply site. Taking a trip next week, I'll try to find some.

www.minimus.biz
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#184941 - 10/11/09 10:42 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska

#184959 - 10/12/09 01:10 AM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: T_Co]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK T_Co, you just proved yourself to me. Burgandy and chablis powder on the first page, along with PURE beef stock and au jus powder, none of this bullion silliness. Next page has powdered honey, which leads us into powdered molassas. Then their meals- oh my gods, the bangers and mash sounds wonderful for winter camping, <6oz in the pack, add boiling water, and 640 calories of something that sounds pretty good.

*thumbs up*

Andy, this sounds like it is intended for office uncrisises as much as anything real world, right?

As it sounds like the fauxton can be locked on, I'd say dump the chemlight. As YT said, these little guys aren't worth much. Don't count on someone using a NOD in an urban rescue situation. Fire deparments use FLIR because light enhancement does diddly in smoke.

If you worried about freaking out the customers with hallitosis, BreathSavers instead. smile

I'm mixed on the signal tape. How is the bulk and texture compared to survey tape? Can you write on it with a sharpie? A mini sharpie would let you write on more surfaces than a pencil and is a lot cheaper than a space pen.

But it sounds pretty good for suit and tie territory. For people running the roads, something like a PSP and Heatsheet might not be a bad choice.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#184980 - 10/12/09 03:46 AM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: ironraven]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Another potential use for the flagging tape would be to literally flag off a danger, ie, a doorway or stairway that shouldn't be used in an evacuation situation. Tear off small bits and attach as you go to mark a safe path.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#184981 - 10/12/09 03:59 AM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: JohnE]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Thanks IR. Thought it would also be a good site for backpackers who do not want to buy smaller dropper bottles to take along a few good seasonings.

Signal tape... Does anyone know the reflective qualities through smoke when a light is shined on it?

Edited by T_Co (10/12/09 05:18 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#185005 - 10/12/09 11:12 AM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: T_Co]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Quote:
=Signal tape... Does anyone know the reflective qualities through smoke when a light is shined on it?

My brief experiements (not in smoke conditions) shows that it is not highly reflective (in fact there are grades of this stuff) but is much more noticeable than the non-reflective tape. This is film-based tape, non-adhesive and a Sharpie writes nicely on it. It takes up very little volume in the kit. Try TapeBrothers to see all kinds of tape at reasonable prices. That's also the place where I found the glow tape and duct tape packages.

Edited by Andy (10/12/09 11:14 AM)

#185028 - 10/12/09 03:47 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Andy]
Y_T_ Offline

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Andy
Quote:
=Signal tape... Does anyone know the reflective qualities through smoke when a light is shined on it?

My brief experiements (not in smoke conditions) shows that it is not highly reflective (in fact there are grades of this stuff) but is much more noticeable than the non-reflective tape. This is film-based tape, non-adhesive and a Sharpie writes nicely on it. It takes up very little volume in the kit. Try TapeBrothers to see all kinds of tape at reasonable prices. That's also the place where I found the glow tape and duct tape packages.
I have several different kinds of non-adhesive reflective tape and ribbon (don't ask, I like shiny things) so I figured I'd share my observations. I agree that there are different grades of quality. I have some that are super bright and seem to catch even small amounts of light, others are more dim and/or require strong direct light. The industrial variety is of course the most effective (the stuff used in safety materials and clothing). I haven't used the adhesive kind because adhesives don't tend to stand up well to heat and dust here. Instead I use the sew-on kind for clothing and gear.

Regarding visibility in smoke, I'd have to say I don't think it would be very effective. For 2 reasons:
First, in order to "shine" or "light up" the reflective strip needs light. Smoke blocks, diffuses, or otherwise interferes with a beam of light. I think the light source would have to be very strong to cause a reflective reaction on the strip *and* the strip would have to be high quality to be seen by the light source.
Second, reflective tape "lights up" white. Smoke is white or grey. Therefore the rescuer would be trying to see white "light" through white or grey smoke. I don't think there's enough contrast there to be distinguishable, which is probably why most signal lights are red (indicating emergency) or green (often perceptibly the brightest color in most EL, LED, or chemlight materials).

#190085 - 12/06/09 08:53 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Y_T_]
Streamside Offline
Stranger

Loc: NY
You'll have to excuse me since I am a newbie smile . But while the sentiment is certainly in the right place, I might suggest the following. Let me illustrate with this. If you placed me in the nearest Mercedes Benz dealership at midnight (with every conceivable mechanic's tool in the shop), then asked me to fix something on one of their sweet looking cars, I wouldn't have a clue. If your trying to help your employees putting together a toolkit wouldn't it be better yet getting someone really qualified in house for half a day to teach them basic survival techniques? When an emergency arises reading an instruction sheet might not be doable. Am I off base? Just trying to help out.

#190136 - 12/07/09 07:51 AM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Y_T_]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Y_T_
...Regarding visibility in smoke, I'd have to say I don't think it would be very effective. For 2 reasons:...

The third reason - smoke particles may clutter the fine retro-reflective structure of some of the tape materials (not completely sealed), so it wouldn't reflect the light so effectively after a while. However, every firefighter's jacket I saw have the retro-reflective stripes. And logically, they should be more visible than any other color stripes on your clothes under directed light.

#190150 - 12/07/09 03:22 PM Re: Urban/office EDC kit, suggestions please! [Re: Alex]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Alex
Originally Posted By: Y_T_
...Regarding visibility in smoke, I'd have to say I don't think it would be very effective. For 2 reasons:...

The third reason - smoke particles may clutter the fine retro-reflective structure of some of the tape materials (not completely sealed), so it wouldn't reflect the light so effectively after a while. However, every firefighter's jacket I saw have the retro-reflective stripes. And logically, they should be more visible than any other color stripes on your clothes under directed light.

That's why they wear traffic vests over their turnouts when responding to a MVA.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.