Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#189779 - 12/03/09 01:41 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Brangdon]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Without having seen the episode, I wouldn't expect either of those to be good tools for breaking glass, regardless of whether you are underwater. Did they do any above-water control tests?
Neither did they. They were looking at the most likely options for the "ordinary" person. Keys, cellphone, and try to kick it out.

The Life Hammer strike looked more like a hard tap than a swing. The window broke instantly.

Quote:
It sounds to me as though it would be better to break the window first, and unbelt yourself and others afterwards.
Unless you run out of air before you get your kid out of the child safety seat in the back (or your panicky/unconscious passenger out of their belt), under stress, with water blasting in through the open window . . . .

I've seen "official" statements that say to get everyone out of their belts, THEN open/break a window. That gives you the maximum amount of time before you have to start holding your breath.

Originally Posted By: thseng
How is the tip of a center punch much different than the tip of a knife?
If I had a Ritter Grip with me, I'd try using it closed. There's a steel angle at end of the thumb-ridges which looks like it would be enough of a point, while still being strong and hard enough, and with much less risk of cutting something. [/quote]If I couldn't get my Res-Q-Me or my Life Hammer, I'd go for the awl on my Leatherman.

#189831 - 12/03/09 04:58 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Compugeek]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
FYI, IIIRC, the episode in question is available under "Mythbusters: Collection 2" on Netflix instant watching.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#189900 - 12/04/09 03:01 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: thseng]
Tag Offline
Stranger

Loc: UK
Has anyone had any reliability issues with their ResQMe?

#189902 - 12/04/09 03:16 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Tag]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I had two issues with one of mine (I have several). I lost one hanging on my PFD during a drill in which I was getting back into an inflatable boat, it must have snagged on something. The replacement has been on my vest for well over a year, so the lost one may just not have been fully locked in place within the little retaining holder. I also notice the blade developing some surface rust, tried it out on some webbing and it still worked fine, just something to keep and eye on.

Pete

#189937 - 12/04/09 07:18 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: paramedicpete]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The spring on mine became loose and the center punch became useless. The failure could be easily heard, because of the rattling. It was 2 years old and i replaced it.

#189947 - 12/04/09 09:58 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Tjin]
Hookpunch Offline

Originally Posted By: Tjin
The spring on mine became loose and the center punch became useless. The failure could be easily heard, because of the rattling. It was 2 years old and i replaced it.

Did you drop it?

#189960 - 12/05/09 02:51 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Compugeek]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
How to break car widows-

...suggesting that the issue is Mohs hardness, not size of impact point or energy applied. Perhaps a diamond-encrusted DR folder, a quartz crystal, or a spark plug fragment?

#190012 - 12/05/09 07:56 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: SwampDonkey]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I keep a Res-Q-Me on the steering column of both my work and personal vehicles, they are cheap and it just makes good sence to me.

I fully agree. How do you mount the Res-Q-Me? This is what I always struggle with.

#190017 - 12/05/09 09:56 PM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: Hookpunch]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
Originally Posted By: Tjin

Did you drop it?

No, i always carry one on mine belt (not ideal, but i don't own a car. But i do drive often, so i have to have it somewhere...)It just became loose.

#190035 - 12/06/09 02:04 AM Re: Am I nuts? No Res-Q-Me or Equivalent [Re: sodak]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Sodak,

They are currently hung from elastic bands on the turn signal lever on the steering column, probably not the most secure location in an accident.

Maybe 2 part velcro tape would be a better idea to mount the Res-Q-Me?

I am currently ordering a Houdini Automotive Rescue Tool to keep on my work keys which would either be in the ignition or clipped to my belt if away from the truck.

Mike

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.