Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#190115 - 12/07/09 03:03 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Susan
"If there is danger present - why on earth DON'T people flee? It seems like such an obvious thing to do."
Sue

Perhaps because they have not thought through the decision-factors and information sources necessary to make a sound decision? Like I am suggesting we try to do in this thread.

Hindsight is one thing, but in the moment of a real danger what thought aids would work for things like trying to decide when to flee a hurricane?

#190127 - 12/07/09 05:42 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That's why I use the checklist that I use.

#190183 - 12/07/09 08:45 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Perhaps because they have not thought through the decision-factors and information sources necessary to make a sound decision?"

Perhaps because they aren't used to making decisions because someone else usually makes them for them, or they aren't really used to dealing with reality?

But when you watch people do such incredibly stupid things, from driving to choosing partners, I have the feeling that it often comes from that 'It won't happen to me' syndrome.

Sue

#190362 - 12/09/09 08:51 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: epirider]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
While it may be true that public servants might not mobilize to work any longer if they aren't getting paid, I would not then assume that they would just quit doing what they do altogether. It might be a prudent alternative, then, to develop a few key associations with such people so that in the event of a financial disaster, you have access to such services off-line as it were.

#190364 - 12/09/09 09:15 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"...I would not then assume that they would just quit doing what they do altogether"

I have often wondered if the people who maintain the electricity, the water, etc, would see the point of keeping it going even if they weren't paid, just so they and theirs would have that convenience. After all, what else will they be doing with their time that would be more important?

Sue

#190370 - 12/09/09 09:57 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Most of the plant ops guys I know have enough committment to their job that they'd keep stuff running even if they weren't getting paid for an extended period, assuming the rest of the community were in the same boat as them. If they were singled out, I am sure it would be a different matter of course.

#190377 - 12/10/09 12:01 AM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Just like what happens in most of the world, eventually bribes and other "donations" would make up for a reduction in salary. IMO, someone will still keep the lights on and the water running, but who gets service and how its paid for may change.

#190425 - 12/10/09 06:51 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: LED]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I can't think of too many things that would cause us to leave, unless the house caught fire or something, but then we aren't going far.

Volcano's aren't much of a threat in KC, neither are hurricanes or tsunamis. New Madrid earthquake maybe, but the damage here won't likely be enough for us to leave. Tornados are the big threat here, and there is no running from them except to the basement shelter (the ultimate bugging in).

A hazmat incident is fairly likely, but almost all of them involve sheltering in place as the smart option. True nuclear (as in warhead) and it isn't going to matter much. If the house survives the blast then it's probably better than running around in the open. If it's radiological, I am grabbing my meters and will make a TON of money, since that's my gig. Radiological is nothing to be afraid of, unless it's already on or in you, and running after the fact is only more likely to contaminate you. My APRs are as good as the hazmat guys, so I'm not running from many plumes either.

Armed mobs or zombies are about the only thing we would likely run from...

Greg

#190559 - 12/11/09 08:07 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: Greg_Sackett]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In my circumstances, I need to be either to flee (wildfires) or bug in (earthquakes). In terms of preparation, it sees to come down to the same thing - preparedness is preparedness

On the edge of town, my home has been threatened twice in the last fifteen years by spreading wildfires less than 1/4 mile distant. Both times I have loaded up the car following our written check list and have been ready to turn the key and drive away. Interestingly, none of my neighbors appear to have made any preparations on these occasions. Possibly none of them have experience fighting wildfires - I do.

Earthquakes provide no advance warning and I may not even have a realistic option to flee. My inclination, in any case, is to hunker down and deal with the consequences of the tremor, including fire. I would basically camp out in the yard for the duration.

In preparing and storing supplies, I realize that storage within the house might render supplies inaccessible or damaged due to the shaking. I resort to a dispersed strategy, with goodies stashed where I think I can reach them, even after the quake.

Two of these relatively safe locations are our vehicles (they are routinely parked in the open). They thus carry at least minimal gear, and I try to refuel them when the tanks are about half full. In a bug in scenario, I would use the alternators to provide 12VDC, and use a converter to power various small electrical appliances. In preparing to hunker down, I have also prepared to flee...

I make sure I have a pair of sneakers, spare glasses, gas shutoff tool, and a stout pry bar right at hand next to the bed. The water heater is bolted down. Ah, life in La-la land!

#190571 - 12/11/09 10:47 PM Re: When do you flee? [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Earthquakes provide no advance warning and I may not even have a realistic option to flee... I would basically camp out in the yard for the duration."

That is my plan, also. I have far more assets here than I could take with me. I would also hope that I am home when it happens. Trying to get home past 300 collapsed overpasses and two or three largish rivers would not be fun.

Sue

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.