Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#190059 - 12/06/09 01:52 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: hikermor]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I hate to be cynical, but 82% of the people polled said they were prepared for an emergency situation where they would have to survive on what they had for two weeks and that percentage sounds inflated to me. Unless they were poling ETS forum members or similar, I'd think 33% was a high number. Not even 10% of my family and friends are prepared for a two week emergency and I talk about the necessity of being prepared all the time.

On the other hand, I actually hope that 82% is correct...

#190060 - 12/06/09 02:03 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Just read a short sidebar article in Consumer Reports on emergency preparations. They polled 1000+ adults, 82% of whom stated they were prepared for a situation where they would be holed up for two weeks at home. Only 1% had all sixteen items considered by CU to be essential - the average individual had less than 10 of the items. Best prepared were non renters, 30 and older. I suspect most of those on this forum would do pretty well. Here is the "sweet sixteen items," listed from most commonly possessed (90%) to least (14%)

flashlight
nonprescription pain reliever
manual can opener
sanitation and personal hygiene items
FAK
two week supply of prescription drugs
extra batteries
thermometer (presumably medical)
hand sanitizer w/60% alcohol
portable radio (hand cranked or batt operated)
two weeks supply of non-perishable food
nonprescription diarrhea meds
two week supply of potable water for each family member
chemical cold packs
electrolyte drinks
surgical masks - N-95 or higher

Your thoughts, please......
I read that to mean 82% thought they were prepared, but in fact most (99%) did not have everything on the list. I don't have everything; why would I want chemical cold packs when I have ice.

#190061 - 12/06/09 02:07 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: Nicodemus]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I agree that the list appears to be lacking in some basic essentials. A manual can opener is good, but no knife? Everyone has knives, go look in the kitchen.

But, having something is better than having nothing.

I too think the 82% number is hyper-inflated. It may be a matter of perception - I "think" I am ready for a two week situation as opposed to I "know" I am ready for a two week situation.

I also think that too many people are believing that Uncle will be there to help them in a time of crisis, making things all better. Good luck with that line of thought.

#190062 - 12/06/09 02:08 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I doubt that 82% are prepared for tomorrow.

Storing adequate water is probably where most families would fall short. They use more than they think and storing enough for two weeks requires real commitment and substantial storage.

Things like knives it is reasonable to presume everyone has in their kitchen.

#190063 - 12/06/09 02:32 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I agree, but 82% think they're ready -- it's a matter of perception.

I agree on knives/tools, but if you don't have them you probably won't know how to use them. Since a set of knives (meaning more than one) is in 99% of the kitchens in the U.S., putting knives on the list couldn't have hurt but doesn't really matter.

#190064 - 12/06/09 02:41 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: Russ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
How come duct tape is not on the list? I am not the brightest knife in the drawer (mixed metaphor?), but I would think that would have made the list. I know not everyone views it as a necessity. But, it is just so darned handy and versatile.

Also, remember that 75% of statistics are made up on the spot and the other 25% are made up later. I seem to recall Mark Twain said something about statistics.

Edited by MoBOB (12/06/09 02:49 PM)

#190065 - 12/06/09 03:11 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: MoBOB]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

2 weeks worth of water is 40- 80 gallons for us. Seems like quite alot. What does the Red Cross recommend?

#190070 - 12/06/09 04:06 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Twain's quote was' "there are lies, damned lies and statistics".

#190071 - 12/06/09 04:21 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i would like to see a list like this..done better of course,that was aimed at different parts of the country with the needs of large city's factored in.the water issue prompted this thought.where i live i have lots of water in lots of places i can walk too.some cleaner than others but nothing that one of my water filters can't clean so there is no need to store lots of water--but--if it was winter and sub zero i would want someway to heat at least one room of my home and the space that water would take up in Arizona i would have filled with wood,coal,LP gas.or in winter and stuck in the house i may want more high calorie foods that i would than down south where dealing with the cold would not be an issue.anyway you get the idea--people don't get prepared not just because their lazy but they get bad and sometimes opposite information.there are lots of food blogs that cater to a city or part of the country,how about a group of blogs that do the same and include the SW corner of Ohio or the panhandle of Texas until just about everyone knows not just a good place to eat in town but what they would need in a emergency where they live.

#190081 - 12/06/09 07:30 PM Re: Emergency Kits [Re: TeacherRO]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
2 weeks worth of water is 40- 80 gallons for us. Seems like quite alot. What does the Red Cross recommend?

I believe Red Cross recommends the minimum, 1 gallon per person per day. Two weeks is 14 gallons, times the number in your household - for us currently 3. 42 gallons - the size of a 55 gallon barrel or 2 x 30 gallons would do; or for those optimistic about reaching it, your home water heater might cover that. 42 gallons is not very much once you have bought the barrels and run the garden hose, and have a pump etc - and you rotate your stored water with daylight savings time. Personally though I would plan for more water, 3 gallons per day per person.

I think the gist of the CU article is that only 1% of those who say they are prepared have at least the things on their list, and if you list more things then the 1% will go down, but what's the point. I daresay any list is slanted to the abilities of those who make them - I can survive for weeks from the contents of my home without a knife (gasp) or duct tape, but I won't last more than 3 days without warm clothing and shelter to protect us from cold or wet.

Another way of putting Consumer Reports' analysis: if a disaster forced you outdoors in the next five minutes, what would you have to sustain life? Their poll indicates alot of people *think* they have some supplies, but only 1% actually do. So there will be alot of neighbors digging in their rubble looking for stuff (and maybe people), and/or in need of the basics, food and shelter.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.