The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189756 - 12/02/09 07:06 PM Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank
Horus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: MA
I just hooked up a generator to my house. Or, rather, the transfer switch and then tested the generator. It works. Thanks to all those who offered advice on an earlier post about types of generators. But it got me thinking about gas. I've got a little now stored in my shed. And there's obviously some in my suv if I need it, but as far as I can tell it would be VERY DIFFICULT to get this gas out. There's probably a anti-siphon lock, among other features that prevent this.

I did watch a youtube video with a delinquent using a drill pump and very small tubing to circumvent the anti-siphon filter.

Anybody know how to get gasoline out of newer vehicles that doesn't involve siphoning?

Thanks,
John.

#189759 - 12/02/09 07:25 PM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: Horus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Eugene has some good info on this in this thread.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#189767 - 12/02/09 10:33 PM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: Blast]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Drop the gas tank ?

#189774 - 12/03/09 12:01 AM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: Todd W]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
You could contact the manufacturer and explain that you need to know how to do it for maintenance purposes. I imagine providing model make and year would held. Or try a mechanic familiar with your vehichle.

#189775 - 12/03/09 12:02 AM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
A couple years ago the hose from the gas fill to the tank of my 2002 Hyundai was cut and all the gas drained. I found out when the gas I was trying to pump into the car went all over my shoes.

While not advocating such vandalism, perhaps it sugggests a location to install and inline valve / outlet? I'm thinking you might want to keep this quiet from the manufacturer, your insurer, etcetera.

#189782 - 12/03/09 02:19 AM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: Horus]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
some older vehicles had a 1/4 in. drain plug at the low end of the tank. If you have one of those, Exchange it for a petcock and your problem is solved. smile

#189785 - 12/03/09 02:27 AM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: Horus]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
[censored]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Pump-Drill-...item5884b85c33.

#189791 - 12/03/09 03:01 AM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: big_al]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: big_al
some older vehicles had a 1/4 in. drain plug at the low end of the tank. If you have one of those, Exchange it for a petcock and your problem is solved. smile

I used to drive a service truck that had a small brass valves installed in the two gas tanks. Handy. We used to drain off a bit to kill wasp nests (A couple of ounces of gasoline tossed at the nest drops wasps on contact), for running small equipment like chainsaws or trenchers, and for filling up generators on a work site.

It was also handy for draining water that condenses in the tanks as temperatures swing. Park the truck to the taps are on the low end of the tanks in the evening and when you get there the next morning you drain off the water and sludge that fell out overnight.

If you have frequent call to siphon gas out of a vehicles tank and you happen to drop the tank for service it is easy to drill a hole and install a tube from the top. This can be stuffed down into the tank leaving the plugged end where you can grab it with your hand. Gas on tap. Probably wildly unsafe and certainly a violation of DOT standards but it is a country-boy solution.

#189792 - 12/03/09 05:28 AM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: Art_in_FL]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
another approach,

put a Y or a T in the outlet line from the tank on your vehicle, if the outflow is small enough or regulated to a low pressure, you can use the fuel pump to do the pumping. If you have an electric fuel pump you can do this while the key is on and the engine is off, for a mechanical pump it needs to be running first. Word of caution, too much pressure in the outflow will kill the engine/introduce air into the line (rough idle). most fuel pumps put out more pressure than the engine needs, hence the return line. Guess you could redirect the line to your generator tank.

I am sure it is unsafe and would directly influence your insurance premiums but i don't feel i am required to disclose that unless specifically asked, i had to use a variation to empty my tank on an '82 Ford F250, I needed to drop the tank (of course it was full) so i put an inline pump in and used it to fill all of my, and a neighbors, gas cans.
I have an extra.

#189809 - 12/03/09 01:36 PM Re: Getting Gas From My Vehicle's Gas Tank [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Something you may wish to think about is as your doing this that some of the newer cars have pressurized gas tanks and if the pressure isn't right the "check engine" light will come on.

I would go with the valve or look into adding a hard line solution but nothing that vents open or allows for free flowing air.

Just my two cents

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.