Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#189682 - 12/02/09 01:51 AM Re: Early winter fungi foray [Re: dweste]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
Drive until vehicles begin to fishtail on morning ice and snow in highway. Turn and drive back a few miles.
Ya that was kinda of fun smile

Park in volunteer fire station area per our local leader and retired fire guy. Cold, snow seasoning the ground here and there. A recent burn area - some stumps still smoking, lots of char, and drifts of burned duff. Fungi zero except one guy found some oyster mushrooms growing out from under a log.

All i found were some unknown white mushrooms and mud.

Group drives to lower elevation and searches. Mushrooms of several kinds found, especially in leaf litter under oak trees [tan and canyon oak I think]. Damsel reports finding phone lying on deer trail after she followed her mother's lead in retracing their steps from where they started.

Alas i didn't find any whily mushrooms at the lower level.
but I did find whily acorns to give to dweste.

Restaurant back room rendezvous and ID session. Folks who gambled on lower elevations than any I saw found many more types of mushrooms. Group collected about 30 types overall.

It was interesting to see all the different kinds of mushrooms.

I focused on edible fungi. Oyster, white chantrelle, deer, puffball, and "slippery Jack" 'shrooms.

Made some more contacts, learned about some more 'shrooming hot spots, and solidified some new relationships. I need to invest in the local bible, Mushrooms Demystified, and spend some time with it.

Thanks for the reminder on the title of that book

katarin]

#189708 - 12/02/09 03:34 AM Re: Early winter fungi foray [Re: katarin]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Good to see you online, Kat.

Kat is a member of The Sacramento Tracking and Wilderness Training Group if you are loooking for a second source of info on the group.

#189711 - 12/02/09 05:03 AM Re: Early winter fungi foray [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

On Saturday a couple of us will be attending an outdoor skills / awareness class in the Napa hills, after which if energy permits we hope to harvest some toyon berries and fungi. We will cook up the toyon berries into jelly and take the fungi to be identified by experts at the Fungi Fair on Sunday in Berkeley.

You got anything going?

Edited by dweste (12/02/09 05:04 AM)

#190118 - 12/07/09 03:09 AM Re: Early winter fungi foray [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Back from the awareness class. Pre-class we harvested toyon berries and during class breaks we harvested some mushrooms. Next day [today] we spent at the awesom 40th annual fungus fair at UC Berkeley's Lawrence Hall of Science.

After getting over the spectacular view of the SF Bay from the LHS we learned, tasted, and made contacts to do more of the same, re many mushrooms. Great event.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.