The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#189654 - 12/01/09 05:38 PM In Real Life Contacts Between Members
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I have noticed of late that some members are attempting to contact one another in real life. While I appreciate this sentiment (I'd love to meet many of you in person), some of our members are minors, and most of our members do not provide easily verifiable credentials to connect a user profile to an actual person.

As such, I urge you to exercise a prudent level of background research on the person you are contacting here. One level of research you can conduct is asking for the person's real name and email address via a private message. There are tool for doing more research about a person - Zabasearch.com is one.

Always meet in a public place (the mall is always a good idea) and don't be too specific in where you're going to meet - just say "by the central fountain, I'll be wearing a blue shirt" - not "I will be at the Walden Books main entrance, wearing a Chicago Bulls Jersey and green sweats, I have glasses and blue hair and I drive an unmarked white van with no windows." - that way if the person gives you a bad vibe you can just keep walking.

Never meet in a car, or in a parking lot.

FWIW, I've met plenty of people In Real Life from my online activities - only once did I feel that things were "off" and that's a whole different story.

#189656 - 12/01/09 05:54 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: MartinFocazio]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Do members of a region ever get together, as a group, to practice any skills or for any other reason?

#189662 - 12/01/09 06:44 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I've never really thought about it before, but that is some good advice on meeting anyone IRL that you've met online.

#189663 - 12/01/09 06:57 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: Nicodemus]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
What is this "real life" you speak of...?

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#189666 - 12/01/09 07:09 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: JohnE]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The only time I've met online friends "in real life" was when I drove 400 miles to Kansas specifically for that. We all met at a shooting range, and everybody was armed to the teeth ... and then some. I think things were pretty secure around there! Of course we didn't take firearms just because we were meeting each other, ... after all, it WAS a two day shooting event we were attending! What a great bunch of folks and a super fun event. So don't avoid meeting others because of fear, you'll miss out on a lot of fun, but be sure where/how you're meeting is safe and secure.

Edited by haertig (12/01/09 07:11 PM)

#189668 - 12/01/09 07:13 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: haertig]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I tried that "real life" stuff one time and boy was it a pain in the sitdown.

Anyhow, rule of thumb, if you feel "funny" about meeting someone, don't. And I echo Martin's post also.

#189669 - 12/01/09 07:23 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: JBMat]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I've met hundreds of people in real life from multiple forums, most all went well.

Doug's advice is great, and my personal advice is to don't meet someone you JUST met online. Get to know their "online" persona, and also do some google searches on their name, email, etc...

Meeting in groups is good too.

#189670 - 12/01/09 07:46 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: Todd W]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
In my endurance racing life, I have met dozens of people that I only knew from online. In fact one just stayed with my family last week for 5 nights when she flew in for a race. Of course there really is no hidden life in that particular online environment.

On ETS for example or ZS, I haven't had a F2F with anyone, though I will say that the PM's, trades and purchases I have done with people have been exemplary. I would meet any of those people based on those interactions.

Key is to let others know what is happening in case of any 'drama'.

#189672 - 12/01/09 09:25 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: comms]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
My family went to PHX two yrs ago and my son and I met DR himself, had a great lunch

BTW Doug what was the name of that restaurant?

Thanks

Mike D

#189675 - 12/01/09 11:53 PM Re: In Real Life Contacts Between Members [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I haven't met anyone off of ETS yet. Though I am sure if I end up in the Texas area I'll go hang out with Blast. We'll go get attacked by cats, killer bees and forced to hide underwater while breathing through our titanium EDC straws.

Don't forget to come fix up my house... hehehe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.