Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#189279 - 11/27/09 02:23 AM Survivor Man Relative to Staying Safe in SW Asia
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
Working seven days a week 12 hour a day does not leave a lot of personal time. Fortunately the internet connectivity is pretty good at the base I’m stationed out of here in Afghanistan. Prior to leaving home my wife and children bought me an iPod to enjoy. Recently I started downloading Season 3 and a few other episodes for Seasons 1 and 2 of Les Stroud’s SurvivorMan. Heading into winter over here I’ve been watching and taking notes from all the cold weather episodes. The mountain and desert episodes are also proving to be invaluable. If anybody knows Les he needs to do a couple special episode on survival in Iraq and Afghanistan for the Military, they would be well received.

Cheers,
W-W

Edited by WILD_WEASEL (11/27/09 05:11 AM)

#189320 - 11/27/09 06:30 PM Re: Survivor Man Relative to Staying Safe in SW Asia [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, not much else for a civilian employee to do in the war zone but work and sleep. I had the same sort of schedule in Baghdad. I preferred the connex boxes to the tents for dwellings; I have no idea what the contractor housing is like in Afghanistan. Some of the crew had tvs and occasionally you'd find one with an XBox, but most of the time I just goofed on my laptop as it was my gen purp entertainment system. Movies, internet, music, games, pretty much an all in one approach. Since I couldn't do much else for entertainment/recreation, other than read a book or watch Al Jazeera, The laptop was pretty handy.

Of course, running for the bunker was always a big distraction from the ho-hum work routine.

#189337 - 11/28/09 12:17 AM Re: Survivor Man Relative to Staying Safe in SW Asia [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: WILD_WEASEL
If anybody knows Les he needs to do a couple special episode on survival in Iraq and Afghanistan for the Military, they would be well received.

Cheers,
W-W

Unfortunately, Les is not doing any more Survivorman episodes. The physical toll, especially with the 1-week periods of little food/water have caught up to him. He's on to other things now like last spring's show on YTV, teaching kids how to survive in the wilderness. He's also expanding and doing more of his Shark shows as well.

His hometown of Huntsville, Ont. will be the next stop on the G-8 heads of state tour (the G-20 will be meeting in Toronto 2-hours away). He's probably glad he lives "off the grid" and out of town and away from the politicians!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.