Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#189336 - 11/28/09 12:06 AM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I haven't had a chance to use the lightweight Titanium windshield in the field yet but it does look quite promising to help improve efficiency of the stove in very windy difficult conditions during winter.

The setup looks awesome, but my initial gut reaction is "that is a HUGE gap between the windscreen and the pot". You may want to try out tightening the titanium wind screen (which really is just a sheet of titanium bent around the stove, right?).

Hmm, I have another opinion about the windscreen. The wide gap around the stove in this case is a blessing in disguise at it provides more space around the cannister and avoiding a potential problem. In fact a wind screen that is too close to the cannister and stove can overheat the cannister. If you tighten the windscreen, better to allow for a lot of bottom ventilation so that the a good portion of the heat isn't reflected down on to the cannister. Having good airflow from underneath will help carry the heat up the sides of the pot and better to cook the entire pot instead of just the bottom. Just don't enclose the cannister - a disc reflector under the flame can also help prevent the cannister from overheating.

#189387 - 11/28/09 08:14 PM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: Roarmeister]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Getting the balance between ensuring enough ventilation and access to the stove controls and ensuring a good enough shield from the wind can be a bit tricky. I have punched through some holes using a paper punch at the bottom of the windshield. The idea was that the wind shield would be pegged to the ground using 4-5 lightweight ti tent pegs with the wind shield arranged in a horseshoe arrangement with the curved top part formed into the direction of the wind. The Titanium sheet is quite rigid even when not formed into a tube structure so it should hopefully stand up to the wind conditions. Hopefully it will successfully replace a much heavier flat folding Rigid Aluminium wind shield like the one below.

The heat from the stove could be a problem causing the stove gas cartridge to overheat only if the stove flame actually stayed burning. When I arranged the windshield with a very narrow gap then put the pot on, the stove actually went out due to the lack of oxygen starving the flame, hence the much wider gap between the wind shield and pot. The heat exchanger on the base of the pot is very impressive at transferring the heat from the stove directly into the water as there appears to be very little heat going up the side of the pot. I might consider using an aluminium reflector though in warmer sunnier conditions but during colder days overheating the gas cartridge isn't really a problem but can help keep the gas cartridge working by maintaining internal gas temperatures above freezing.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/28/09 08:21 PM)

#189478 - 11/30/09 04:28 AM Re: How to Choose a Backpacking/Survival Stove [Re: Compugeek]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
It seems to me that some posters have limited experience with gas appliances. While it is wise to be aware of the dangers of CO2, use of a camping/backpacking stove or lantern for emergency cooking and illumination is really not as dangerous as some warnings make out. Unless you are in a small space or a room specifically designed to be air-tight, the CO2 put off by a single gas lamp and, intermittently, by camping/backpacking stove poses no more risk than using a residential cooking appliance that uses natural or propane gas.

As for wood-burning fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, coal stoves, even vented gas fireplaces and heaters, these things are all designed to exhaust fumes outside. Many people, including myself, have spent weeks at hunting/vacation cabins without electricity, relying only on wood-burning and gas appliances for heat, light and cooking. Our ancestors lived with these conditions 365-days a year.

I wouldn't use an unvented gas (or any other) appliance for heat without cracking a window. I wouldn't use dirtier fuels such as charcoal or any liquid fuels indoors, both because of safety (spilled, burning fuel) as well as fumes. And the only thing I'd trust in a tent is a well-protected candle.

We've had as many as six adults stay in a 12x16', 1 room cabin for several days, with the wood stove going continuously, cooking most of our meals on an RV-size propane stove/oven combo, a Zodi propane unit for warm water, and Coleman propane lanterns for light. The cabin is fairly tight (to keep out the critters), but we never had any issues related to CO2, (cramped space and various bodily odors were another story).

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.