Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#188769 - 11/20/09 08:14 PM top national cellphone carrier other than Verizon?
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

It occurred to me that for a second, backup cellphone it might be good to use a major carrier other than my primary provider (Verizon). So next to Verizon, who of the other major providers is considered to have the widest coverage and reliability?

#188776 - 11/20/09 09:42 PM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Verizon? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You might try a pay as you go service _ inexpensive and I think several of the major carriers offer them.

#188781 - 11/20/09 10:14 PM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Verizon? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I think that AT&T has the next best coverage. Their 3G footprint is nowhere near Verizon, but for basic phone calls, text messages and lower-speed data, AT&T works practically everywhere Verizon does. Also, if you get a quad-band GSM phone from AT&T it will work in most foreign countries (but you'll pay through the nose if you don't unlock your phone and get a local SIM card).

Sprint, except for the old NexTel service, uses the same technology as Verizon, (CDMA), but the phones are not interchangeable (due to carrier lock-downs), and they do not seem to have cross-roaming agreements. Their coverage is nowhere near Verizon or AT&T. But I think that in 911 (Emergency Call) mode they will connect you via a Verizon cell.

Boost, Cricket, MetroTel and many of the more economical pre-pay carriers are reselling Sprint service, so the same caveats apply as for Sprint.

Note that NexTel, although a Sprint product, is a completely different technology (iDen) and coverage is limited to metro areas and major highways (and surrounding areas). Outside of this they are a paperweight.

T-Mobile also uses GSM, and you can interchange phones if you get them unlocked. But, in spite of their coverage map, T-Mobile's reliability is reported to be the worst of all (except NexTel) and although the phones use GSM there is no roaming agreement with AT&T.

I currently use AT&T and my kids and I are generally satisfied.

I've used AT&T, Verizon and Sprint and my observations are:
  1. AT&T has the best nationwide coverage for voice calls.
  2. Verizon has the best nationwide coverage for 3G data.
  3. GSM, used by AT&T, is the global standard for cell phones.
  4. CDMA, used by Verizon and Sprint, is rarely available outside North America and a few Asian countries.
  5. GSM phones can be unlocked so you can just replace the SIM card to change carriers.
  6. CDMA phones can not be interchanged between CDMA carriers.
  7. As far as I've discovered, all the inexpensive Prepay Cellular Providers actually resell Sprint.
  8. Sprint has the worst coverage and reliability (as of 2004) and the poorest selection of phones
  9. Sprint has the worst customer service, but none of them are much better.

Coverage Maps:

Edited by Mark_M (11/20/09 10:16 PM)

#188796 - 11/21/09 01:53 AM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Verizon? [Re: Mark_M]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Pre-Paid ATT and Verizon vice/versa depending on what you have I think would be good.

Or, you could like my folks and pay the $10/mo for a verizon phone that shares my minutes... (With your friend/family of opposite carrier.)

-Todd

Edited by Todd W (11/21/09 01:53 AM)

#188801 - 11/21/09 02:30 AM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Verizon? [Re: Todd W]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Here is Marty Focazio's info/breakdown on TracFone: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post153657

TracFone apparently doesn't have any towers of its own, it rents time on all the others, so you're usually within reach, but not always (I can't use it here at home).

Sue

#188823 - 11/21/09 02:22 PM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Verizon? [Re: Susan]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I have had a good experience with TracFone for several years now - almost always a signal, with some service holes like near Susan's home. The available phones are pretty basic, although they recently came out with a couple models (Samsung?) that seem to have a few more features (web browsing etc), which I do enough of that I don't really want to do it from my phone, but whatever floats your boat... The tradeoff though is in runtime - I love that I can charge my phone once or twice a week. And the whole process of admining a phone account on the Internet is very slick, I have added #1 son and that has gone pretty well through a succession of lost or bricked cell phones, all son-induced...

I also have a second phone / account with Sprint, and my experience has been different than reported earlier in the post - good customer service, and great coverage at least in the PNW and other areas I travel. The phone (smartphone Palm Pre) I have mixed views on, its great for navigation (which I sometimes need driving to fire scenes), great for email access, pretty good for apps (e.g. I don't need an app for everything in life, so weather tracking / forecasts, and a few specialized ones are enough for me), poor for battery life.

#188825 - 11/21/09 03:32 PM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Verizon? [Re: Lono]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Try Net10. It's the same company as TracFone, same coverage, minutes are cheaper (even after you add double minutes to TracFone), and it comes with 300 minutes.

Straight Talk is also worth looking into if you're going to be using it as a primary phone. It's by TracFone as well, through Verizon's network.

#188827 - 11/21/09 04:48 PM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Veri [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Remembering I am in this industry.....

Best to worst nationwide:

Verizon
ATT Mobility
T-Mobile
Sprint

Thats the top 4. I won't even get into all the smaller regional operators.

RIP OBG

#188940 - 11/23/09 02:54 AM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Veri [Re: Desperado]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Excellent info; thanks everybody.

Desperado, I want to take advantage of your SME status. What do you think is the best way to go to get a backup cellphone using AT&T? I keep my primary (currently only) phone from Verizon on my belt, but I'm thinking of stashing a backup in my shoulder bag. I'm fine with a prepaid plan but I don't want to pay for minutes that melt away constantly.

Edited by Glock-A-Roo (11/23/09 02:54 AM)

#189119 - 11/24/09 08:00 PM Re: top national cellphone carrier other than Veri [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Well I can't find any plans from Verizon or ATT where the minutes don't constantly expire if unused within a month or so. As a stopgap measure, I took my old Motorola Razr phone and stashed it in my 2nd-line shoulder bag. At least I can use it for 911.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.