Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#189391 - 11/28/09 10:14 PM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
My family and I have been to the Everglades. RESPECT them... That said...our biggest 'fear' is that this schmuck is going to write a book and make a whole lot of money on his stupidity and luck.

#189395 - 11/29/09 12:02 AM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: CJK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

In my experience, I have done my share of hiking in the Florida swamps, the gators aren't a big problem as long as you make noise, stay aware of them and don't step on them.

Near a bank keep your feet on the bottom and shuffle your feet so you bump into instead of step on any submerged gator. Same method used to keep from stepping on a skate on the ocean. Bumping into them while they are dozing under, or mostly under, water and they tend to just slither away. Running you shin into a large meaty mass underwater, alligator skin isn't hard like a turtle shell but more like stiff rubber, and feeling it shift and then the thrust from the tail as it swims away, all this happening underwater, is disconcerting the first couple of times. Gators are just a whole lot more adept at fleeing in their natural environment than I am. I step back a bit in shock and they swim off.

Snakes, In my experience particularly water moccasins, and mosquitoes are much bigger problems than alligators.

I also suggest that anyone spending time around swamps to learn the fine art of using 'dummy cords'. Swamps are notorious for making anything that sinks disappear forever. I have lost a couple of small knives, a compass, and various other small items. If the water is clear and the bottom firm it isn't hard to retrieve most of what falls in. But if the bottom is soft, the water murky and full of neutral buoyant leaves you can drop a pocket knife and know exactly where you dropped it without being able to find it.

Best strategy is to stop and hold still when you drop something. In shallow water you reach straight down and gently feel around using a patting motion. In deeper water I have had luck using a bare foot to feel around in a similar motion. If your good, and lucky, you can retrieve what you drop.

Dummy cords, lanyards, make it all a lot easier. They save a lot of trouble in swamps, but are also generally useful around sugar sand or anywhere losing gear might be an issue. My compass, light and pocket knife get a lanyard attached when I go into the swamp. Using dummy cords I don't lose so much stuff. The most used stuff in my PSK have dummy cords.

Before anyone figures they are smart enough and together enough not to need such cords remember that if you do bump into a gator the last thing on your mind will be hanging onto that compass you were using at the time. Stuff happens in the woods and humans don't stay their sharpest for long, tired, terrified, dehydrated and borderline hypothermic it is easy to forget or drop gear. Or, as it happen once to me, miss the pocket when your putting equipment away.

#189400 - 11/29/09 12:48 AM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: Art_in_FL]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Art - What's the strategy for cottonmouths?

#189402 - 11/29/09 03:40 AM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: UpstateTom]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: UpstateTom

I am not Art, but the best strategy is a 12 Ga. shotgun IME.

RIP OBG

#189407 - 11/29/09 05:26 AM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: Desperado]
raven397 Offline
Stranger

this guy has to be the stupidest, and luckiest, guy in south Florida.

#189414 - 11/29/09 09:40 AM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: Desperado]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Originally Posted By: Desperado

I kinda meant along the lines of avoiding them, other than just staying out of the water. What I'm used to is copperheads, and my plan for those has always been to be cautious around rock overhangs and fallen trees.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why I would ever slog around in a swamp in the first place. I believe I wouldn't.

#189418 - 11/29/09 02:50 PM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: UpstateTom]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Desperado

I kinda meant along the lines of avoiding them, other than just staying out of the water. What I'm used to is copperheads, and my plan for those has always been to be cautious around rock overhangs and fallen trees.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why I would ever slog around in a swamp in the first place. I believe I wouldn't.

Probably a good idea…

RIP OBG

#189433 - 11/29/09 06:05 PM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Two more shots were subsequently heard, apparently further away each time."

What do you want to bet it sounded like he was moving because he WAS moving? Fire the gun, move, fire the gun, move. Dumb.

"Mosch said he’s accepted an offer from the owner to go back to the hunting camp in the Big Cypress in about a month."

We shall probably be hearing about this guy again... A GPS isn't going to fix stupid.

Sue

#189536 - 11/30/09 07:43 PM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
You should always carry two compasses. So you can compare one to the other.
When I do that, they just point at each other smile

#189606 - 12/01/09 05:54 AM Re: Four Days in the Everglades [Re: UpstateTom]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Backpedal a bit and throw or kick anything handy at them to see if they will break off. Pound your stick in front of them. Most will back off. Sometimes you can get the stick under it and flip them away. Most snakes seem to turn and run after being tossed in the air.

But if they come right at you and you feel really threatened you hit them with your stick. Even if they are swimming a strong blow will break their spine. Waaaay more effective than a gun. A good stick won't jam, disturb the peace, get you accused of poaching, have people thinking your with the local idiot militia, or attract thieves.

If you hike, especially in Florida, do carry a sturdy walking stick. Before you step into that murky water or blindly into dense brush you prod it with your stick. As far as footing goes three legs is better than two. Also saves wear on knees, steadies you on slopes and when crossing water. Two sticks make a stretcher. A good stick makes a tarp into a tent.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.