Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#188485 - 11/17/09 03:52 PM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Does anyone know of a prepaid cellphone service (on a reliable network) where the minutes do not expire if you don't use them within a certain timeframe? I'd like to toss a prepaid phone using Verizon's network in my bag as a backup to my usual phone, but all of Verizon's prepaid plans expire if you don't use them pretty quick.

I'd really like to use Verizon's network because it is a stout one, but if you have good alternatives please post them.

One word: Rollover smile Sorry couldn't help myself, seen one too many of that commercial. I am not even sure if there is a rollover plan for a prepaid cellphone service. Maybe check with your current provider and see if they will work something out with you. Much easier to do with a local service provider than with one of the huge national chains.
Another lesson here is that redundancy is a good thing everywehre. A car charger, a solar panel charger, back-up batteries etc all seem to be good options when employed as a layered system. And I recall that energizer also has a battery powered emergency cell phone charger as well.
Good list, great discussion; "Please sir, may I have some more?"

Edited by Mark_Frantom (11/17/09 03:53 PM)

#188498 - 11/17/09 09:14 PM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: Mark_F]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

IIRC the company putting out those rollover minutes isn't a reliable one.
know anyone already on Verizon (friend/family) that could add you on for $9.99/month?

#188500 - 11/17/09 09:33 PM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: Eugene]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Tracfone has a deal where you can get a year of service for $124 or so. Even if the minutes or service is expired you can call 911. I personally have a Tracfone as my cell. my old one (old lg from tracfone) currently lives in my glove-box as a back-up. it is in a little bag with the car charger.

I know 124 + the 10-30 dollars for the phone seems high, but it will work on pretty much any network, in my experience. I usually have better coverage than all of my coworkers with us cellular and a local company. My Motorola 376g runs on the at and t network here. my old lg, 3018? was on the us cellular network. The great thing about tracfone is that if there is cellular service available, it works. That is what it seems, i have been told that it is a secondary to any regular cell phone, so in an emergency, with overloaded circuits, prepaid might not be the best.
I have an extra.

#188501 - 11/17/09 10:32 PM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: EchoingLaugh]
NobodySpecial Offline

Tracfone uses either CDMA (older models) or GSM (new models with a SIM) - the same handset can't do both there's nothing special about it.

#188502 - 11/17/09 10:41 PM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: NobodySpecial]
NobodySpecial Offline

In the "you couldn't make this stuff up dept."
My wife works for a government agency and frequently is out on-site in remote areas.
So for safety they have a policy of phoning in, to report, before leaving the last site.

They were recently told that they must not use SMS anymore because it is too expensive (apparently the government can't negotiate some sort of discount with the cell providers to get free minutes - well it's not like they are a big customer or anything!)

So now they must call in and wait while a receptionist answers - so we save 10c on the SMS but now waste the time of two employees, sounds like government as usual.

Next problem. They are in a remote area with little or no cell coverage, although SMS usually works - this was pointed out to managers.

The solution came through today - they are looking at fitting the trucks with satellite phones!!!

I'm pretty sure this is how the stealth bomber came about. "General we have had complaints that our fighters are interfering with Mrs Smith's garage door opener, the solutions are to buy her a new one from HomeDepot or develop a new $billion aircraft that doesn't reflect radio waves".

#188696 - 11/20/09 02:30 AM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: NobodySpecial]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Tracphone minutes roll over as long as you keep the service paid. In other words, you buy a card for X minutes and X days, the minutes and months are added to your service. If you run out of either you have to add more, but the numbers just add, the minutes don't ever reset to 0. (I'm probably not describing it well.)

I use trac for my personal cell because I use very few minutes, and that makes it cheap for me.

#188916 - 11/22/09 08:50 PM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: JohnN]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: JohnN
Originally Posted By: billvann

5. Store back-up batteries for electronic devices, including your cell phone.

I've tried to standardize many of my small electronics to use USB charging.

Then you will be happy to know that there is a big push in the telecommunications industry to standardize on the mini-USB for power. All new GSM phone models are supposed to have them next year (that's AT&T and T-Mobile in the US). Hopefully, Verizon and Sprint will follow suit.

Here's a few more ideas for you:

Cheers!

#188934 - 11/23/09 01:31 AM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: Mark_M]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Actually they decided on microUSB. IMHO thats because everything else such as cameras, GPS, etc use miniUSB so by standardizing on microUSB they can still sell some adapters. The microusb standard has already been adopted a year or two ago and all the new phones are coming that way.
So now I have to carry a mini and micro cable rather than just the miniUSB that worked with our old phones.

#188983 - 11/23/09 04:21 PM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: Eugene]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Actually they decided on microUSB. IMHO thats because everything else such as cameras, GPS, etc use miniUSB so by standardizing on microUSB they can still sell some adapters. The microusb standard has already been adopted a year or two ago and all the new phones are coming that way.
So now I have to carry a mini and micro cable rather than just the miniUSB that worked with our old phones.

FWIW, at least according to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroUSB#Mini_and_micro
everything ought to be migrating towards Micro now.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#189004 - 11/23/09 07:08 PM Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters [Re: thseng]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That mini/micro section only mentions cell phones (mobile devices). The term mobile devices is confusing since gps, cameras, etc are mobile, but the USB official mobile devices term refers to cell phones.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.