The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#190776 - 12/14/09 04:43 AM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
No nerves hit, just wondering in print why it seems so hard for some folks to understand what is a very simple concept.

Don't need to take any deep breaths either but thanks.

You've been made privy to some EMS "established protocols" by myself and by other EMS professionals who have posted in this thread numerous times, we've tried to tell the original poster as well as those who've chimed in what the best solution is for the given situation. Instead of using what's been offered by those in a position to know better, some folks think that they've come up with a better alternative, the purpose of my post above was to reaffirm again that they're wrong in their assumptions.

Anyone who feels that making up their own medical alert system in the hopes that it will improve their treatment if they're found in an unresponsive state is gonna be in for a rude surprise if they ever regain consciousness.

There are times and places for opinions and there are times and places for actual factual knowledge. But hey, do your own thing, hope it works out for you.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#190816 - 12/14/09 09:51 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: JohnE]
Jakam
Unregistered

Yikes again- and ouch-

I come to this forum for opinions, and would never take anything I read as empirical data without first checking it out with a vetted source. As far as I know, there is no vetting process in signing up to trade information or opinions on this forum.

I don't know you, don't know your background, don't check profiles nor would I believe the data contained therein.

So again, all I did was mention what I have and what I do, not looking for validation or to change anyone's mind- in fact, I appreciate the feedback as to other folks' opinions as to what works best..

#190980 - 12/16/09 02:53 AM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

I will end my part in this silliness by referring you to the question posed by the original poster, to wit, "what is the best way to clue EMT's to medical facts?" Note they didn't ask what are some methods that other people use.

The best way, as requested by the original poster is the way that myself and others who actually work in the emergency medical services is the use of the Medical Alert system.

Any other method is less effective.

Jakam, when you find your vetted source, they will agree with the above statement.

I sincerely hope that you and your family never have occasion to need a medical alert system of any kind.

Edited by JohnE (12/16/09 02:55 AM)

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#190985 - 12/16/09 03:08 AM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: ]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
You caught 'em. These guys are pretending to be paramedics as a ruse to trick people into wearing "jewelry" and other accoutrements. Jeff, in particular, is actually the finest tailor in Dublin, Ireland, and is world famous for introducing the western suit to the Kingdom of Jordan back in '32, and the age of 22.

It would be more obvious if they hadn't deleted the thread on the survival necktie and cufflinks set.

#190986 - 12/16/09 03:38 AM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Jakam
Yikes again- and ouch-

I come to this forum for opinions, and would never take anything I read as empirical data without first checking it out with a vetted source.

There is no emergency medical "system" in the U.S. There are several thousand systems, each with it's own practices and procedures. So there is no definitive, single, established, standard protocol or methodology for obtaining patient data in the pre-hospital environment.

But, on this subject, there is a body of professional knowledge and practical wisdom that has been accumulated and validated over and over by hard won experience. Have you noticed a certain uniformity of opinion and lack of disagreement here, as to the "best way to clue EMTs to medical facts," among all the people who have actual hands-on experience in the field? That, my friend, is the collective voice of the real world sharing it's wisdom with you.

We aren't trying to tell you what to do; we're just telling you what works for us.

Jeff
paramedic/firefighter, 30 years experience

#190989 - 12/16/09 04:21 AM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: UpstateTom]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: UpstateTom
You caught 'em. These guys are pretending to be paramedics as a ruse to trick people into wearing "jewelry" and other accoutrements. Jeff, in particular, is actually the finest tailor in Dublin, Ireland, and is world famous for introducing the western suit to the Kingdom of Jordan back in '32, and the age of 22.

It would be more obvious if they hadn't deleted the thread on the survival necktie and cufflinks set.

These are not the Paramedics you are looking for...;^)

In the interest of full and complete disclosure, I am only a lowly EMT. However I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#191391 - 12/20/09 10:13 PM Re: Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts? [Re: comms]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: comms
To keep beating a dead zombie here, 'cause I like beating dead zombies, the best flat out method is having someone you know with you. Next is a med-alert bracelet bracelet of some kind.

Ever since I bought a medical alert bracelet and had it engraved, which is nearly two months ago, I have been wearing it every day. Given its location, my left wrist, any rescue personnel will quickly discover it and yet as a bracelet it looks fashionably acceptable for everyday situations.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.