Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#188699 - 11/20/09 02:43 AM extra tobacco tins? anyone?
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
i want to know if any one has an extra tobacco tin for a pocket survival kit? I am only 15 so i cannot buy one. (hopefully there is no age limit on ETS!) if you happen to smoke and have an extra, it would be greatly appreciated. large or small. thank you!

#188707 - 11/20/09 04:06 AM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: sybert777]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Hello, new human. I'm assuming you are human, not highly evolved leftovers from the back of the fridge. If you are, I apologize for the anthrocentric mistake, and promise not to put ketchup on you.

Nope, no age limit, unlike, say, Zombie Squad. So we are a G-rated forum. A hard G, but still still G. :P

As for the tobacco tins, they are getting hard to find for all of us. Most of us have used altoids tins, they are the same size, but I'll point you to somethig even better: gift card tins. And it is the season to find them in stores.

The ones I'm thinking of are square, a little longer on each side than the longest of the altoids tin, but they hold almost twice as much, and lacking a hinge, are easier to waterproof. I saw a similar, but larger and rectangular tin full of gingerbread cookies in Walmart a few days ago for a dollar. But there are a TON of tins. You generally want to ones that are stamped from one pierce, not the ones with rolled and crimped bottoms, but keep your eyes open. In any case, you'll probably want to sand and repaint them.

Unless you want Santa looking up at you from your PSK.

But no small number of us have retired our tins for other things. Me, I like the Playstation Portable and external hard drive cases from Case Logic, very tough. Other people use tiny, pint (literally) sized dry bags or something similar. Other people go the other route, and use the smallest of the Pelican and Otterbox cases, which are even harder than the tins. Now, not saying that tins don't work, because they do. It is just a matter of taste. The hard cases are neigh on indestructable, the softer cases are easier to sit/lie/land on, and those who like a zip open case usually like the organization.

*looks around, whispering conspiratorially* It runs in phases. I'm planning on going back to tins in about four months, make them fashionable again.

So, the gear junkies want to know what are you putting in the tin? *tries to peek*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#188710 - 11/20/09 04:52 AM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: ironraven]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
I do NOT have tobacco tins but there ARE some on ebay for pretty cheap. I also found mint tins work very well also. I have a miniature mint tin in a waterproof airtight bag now for my edc (winter)

If you are still at all interested in the mint ones let me know, but not to be a prick I would need shipping cost from you. Just msg me

#188714 - 11/20/09 07:21 AM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: freeballer]
marantz Offline

What Ironraven said. Lots of gift tins around, especially this time of year. Also a lot a things to use as containers. The advantage of a tin is that it's relatively crushproof, or at least crush resistant, and has a very high percentage of useable space. A Ziploc freezer bag also has a very high percentage of useable space, and is waterproof to boot, but rates zero in crush resistance. So the question is, how large a container do you want, and how are you going to carry it? Jeans pocket, cargo pocket, backpack, car trunk, etc.

But first, try free. Ask your family and friends if they have any tins they don't want. Look for people that are eating Altoids mints and ask them what they do with the empty tins. Most probably recycle them or throw them away, but some have dozens of them laying around. Search ebay for "altoid tin" and you'll see lots of 20-30 empty tins for ~$5.00. Of course, then there's at least $5.00 shipping.

If you just have to have a brand new tin, try specialtybottle.com. They have no minimum order quantity, but again, there's going to be at least $5-10 shipping, depending on mode. Here's a link for a tin slightly larger, and shallower, than an Altoids tin: http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=63

There's always the trusty BCB International tin, that is used for a lot of survival kits: http://www.bestglide.com/tin_info.html Kind of expensive, though.

You could always buy some Altoid mints, dump the mints into a Ziploc bag, and wash and reuse the tin right away. I think the cheapest tin I've seen was from Sweetarts. It was also the ugliest, but after you fill it and wrap it with paracord, who cares.

Finally, troll through your local dollar stores and thrift stores. You might decide the best "tin" is the tiny imitation Rubbermaid plastic container and lid.

#188724 - 11/20/09 12:58 PM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: sybert777]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Ignore him, ketchup's good for you smile

Seriously, my best advice to you is to have a chat with your Dad. Not your Mum!

Wimmin just don't understand these things...

Not you Susan, your an honorary man. grin whistle

#188725 - 11/20/09 12:59 PM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: marantz]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
This comeing from a guy who was epic at fiding trouble at your age, I may sugest that you NOT find a Tabaco tin.

While the Tabaco tin may work great, at 15 anyone who sees the tin on you, will imidatly form an opinion of you that may be totaly wrong! And that may cause problems for your.

Just a thought.

And welcome to the ETS forums.

#188729 - 11/20/09 02:04 PM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: Tyber]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Ditto on mint tins though they can be a bit small IMO. Ditto on ebay but by the time you consider the price of the tin (let alone shipping charges) you can usually find it cheaper locally (and get the candy to boot smile ) Wal-Mart can be a great resource if you know which departments to wander. Try Sporting goods at the beginning of fishing season, automotive, hardware, housewares, crafts, and electronics. I'm sure others have some suggestions as well. Let us know what you come up with.
*also trying to peek at the kit and its contents*

P.S. Leigh I am sure Susan will be VERY happy to know you consider her an honorary man (dripping with sarcasm).

#188738 - 11/20/09 03:41 PM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: sybert777]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Hi sybert777,

First of all welcome to the forums. I looked at our profile, but it might be helpful if you tell us a little about your background and interests. For example are you a Scout? Without giving out your specific location, can you tell us what county, what state/providence and what type of environment (woodlands, dessert, mountain, seashore) you commonly engage outdoor activities?

The guys and gals on this forum are great resources of information. However, I would suggest before you give anyone you meet through the Internet, your address (to send you tins, etc.) you discuss it with your parents and get their permission.

Pete

#188743 - 11/20/09 04:07 PM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: paramedicpete]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Welcome. +1 on the gift card tins ( who knows why a card needs to be in a tin?) and looking at your local dollar store. Tupperware might also work well...

Teach

#188754 - 11/20/09 05:46 PM Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? [Re: sybert777]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
If I were 15 again, I think I'd paint that tobacco tin, or pick something else: I got in enough trouble, without making grownups think that I was smoking.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.