The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#187792 - 11/07/09 10:27 PM 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Looks like an interesting segment on 60 Minutes tomorrow night, about the U.S. power grid's and other vital systems' vulnerability to cyber attack.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/06/60minutes/main5555565.shtml

The revelation is part of a Steve Kroft investigation into how computers and the Internet can be used as weapons to be broadcast on 60 MINUTES Sunday, Nov. 8 (7:00-8:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Former Chief of U.S. National Intelligence Retired Adm. Mike McConnell believes it could happen in America. “If I were an attacker and wanted to do strategic damage to the United States, I would either take the cold of winter or the heat of summer,” he tells Kroft. “I would probably sack electric power on the U.S. East Coast, maybe the West Coast and attempt to cause a cascading effect.” If hackers did attack the U.S. power grid, “The United States is not prepared for such an attack.” says McConnell.

#187797 - 11/08/09 01:03 AM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: Dagny]
LED Offline
Veteran

All the more reason to have a well designed home with proper ventilation/insulation I suppose. Up until the 1950's wasn't every home built that way?

#187805 - 11/08/09 02:19 AM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: LED]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Up until the 1950's wasn't every home built that way?"

No. There were homes built long before then that had no insulation at all.

My mother lived in a house in Las Vegas that was built right after WWII. I moved there in 1989 to fix it up for her so she could get a decent price. This is an area that has temperature extremes of 0ºF to 116ºF (18ºC to 47ºC). There was no insulation anywhere in the house, top, bottom or sides. I made enough tips on the first New Years to call in the blow-in insulation guy to at least get it into the ceiling. The house also had no built-in source of heat, and faced east toward tall trees.

I don't know when the fanaticism about building every house to face the street (instead of the sun) started, but it was over 100 yrs ago. I can't believe that people had never noticed the advantages of solar gain prior to the 1960s (even though it is still ignored by most builders today, if the PNW is any indication).

Cody Lundin was talking about the house he had built in his last book (When All Hell Breaks Loose), and he has no mechanical heating or cooling, and that's Arizona.

My dream: straw bale/passive solar.

Sue

#187807 - 11/08/09 02:55 AM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: Susan]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
A bigger problem might be remotely turning off power & disabling the "smart meter" on your house.

A few months ago a paper was presented on the security of these devices: there was none. Anyone on your leg of the system can send a command to your meter to turn off power to your house.

Worse: there is a firmware upgrade command, also unprotected. After turning off power an attacker can load garbage over the meter's firmware, completely disabling it, meaning that the power company must send someone put to physically _replace_ the meter to turn power back on (the meter cannot be repaired on site - it must be replaced).

This is a doomsday scenario if carried out in Phoenix around noon on a 120F day. A coordinated attack on the system in several areas should easily overwhelm the number of workers available to replace the meters as well as the number of working meters in stock (all of which will be easily killed smart meters too).

#187808 - 11/08/09 04:07 AM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: Dagny]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Dagny
“If I were an attacker and wanted to do strategic damage to the United States, I would either take the cold of winter or the heat of summer,” he tells Kroft. “I would probably sack electric power on the U.S. East Coast, maybe the West Coast and attempt to cause a cascading effect.” If hackers did attack the U.S. power grid, “The United States is not prepared for such an attack.” says McConnell.

Aw heck, all we have to do is flick a couple of switches in Quebec to do that.

#187816 - 11/08/09 01:09 PM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: scafool
Originally Posted By: Dagny
“If I were an attacker and wanted to do strategic damage to the United States, I would either take the cold of winter or the heat of summer,” he tells Kroft. “I would probably sack electric power on the U.S. East Coast, maybe the West Coast and attempt to cause a cascading effect.” If hackers did attack the U.S. power grid, “The United States is not prepared for such an attack.” says McConnell.

Didn't that already happen?

RIP OBG

#187820 - 11/08/09 04:17 PM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: scafool]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country

I dunno... wouldn't all the Canuck's suddenly start sweating to death from hyper-functioning home furnaces if that happened? Kind of an accidental mass heat-stroke disaster?

wink

#187824 - 11/08/09 07:11 PM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana

I dunno... wouldn't all the Canuck's suddenly start sweating to death from hyper-functioning home furnaces if that happened? Kind of an accidental mass heat-stroke disaster?

wink

Nah, even the separatists are smart enough to use gas or fuel oil heat. That total electric crap is expensive!

RIP OBG

#187836 - 11/08/09 11:42 PM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Depends. I seem to recall that Quebecers use electricity for heat quite a lot, because of the huge hydroelectric resources they have. This was the preferred/subsidized choice for a long time.

In the Maritimes (East Coast), I think heating oil is the preferred choice.

In Alberta, it's natural gas all the way. We have a large domestic supply, and it's easy to dig pipelines in that good glacial clay.

On Vancouver Island, the only way to dig pipelines is with dynamite. I think that propane, often supplemented with a wood stove, is pretty common.

Aren't you glad you asked? whistle

#187838 - 11/08/09 11:45 PM Re: 60 Minutes: power grid vulnerability, plus [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I watched the 60 Minutes segment tonight.

Instructive. It should have given a few million people something to think about.

Perhaps some of them will be Googling tonight and find this forum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 427 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.