Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#188320 - 11/14/09 08:36 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Pete]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Pete
One thing that would be really helpful is some kind of SS lid that fits on top of the SS cup.

Some of the high end, titanium ones do. And they are taller (larger) to boot.

But if you are going with a stainless steel one, no one makes a commercial lid for them. So you'll have to make one. Observe, the rim of the GSI or Olicamp cups are a perfect fit to the end of a coffee can. So, if you have a side cut can openner, use that, and carefully remove the end. A very basic lid. If you want to get fancy with an eyebolt and a nut, or just a bit of cotton cord, you've got a handle you can lift it off by.

But if you are going to do that to a coffee can... *looks around and whispers conspiratorially* Keep the coffee can. Get a hose clamp, and you can make yourself a removable handle. The coffee can is a tight fit for most Nalgene carriers, and not as tough as some of the other options, but considering that you can do that for fairly cheaply, so long as you don't kill your pot/cup with the hose clamp by over tightening it.

Right now I'm trying to decide on what to do for a handle material, then I'll be posting pictures. Probably over Thanksgiving weekend.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#188321 - 11/14/09 08:38 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: T_Co]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
One thing to keep in mind- if you think your ONLY water might be contaminated by petrochems, bring it to a boil without the lid. That will let the volatiles boil off.

Then cross your fingers and hope you don't die.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#188322 - 11/14/09 08:46 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: ironraven]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: ironraven
One thing to keep in mind- if you think your ONLY water might be contaminated by petrochems, bring it to a boil without the lid. That will let the volatiles boil off.

Then cross your fingers and hope you don't die.

Good point on that. I was thinking along the lines of already having purified the water before it went in the nalgene and then pouring it into the cup for warming at a later time in my last post.

#188324 - 11/14/09 09:07 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps some titanium foil could be fashioned into an Orikaso Multi-functional Dish flat folding type metal cup for boiling and easier storage.

http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/orikaso_dish_use.htm

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

I should have enough left to try out for such a project after making all the windscreens I could ever wish for when the titanium foil arrives from the USA.

#188334 - 11/14/09 10:00 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Does anyone know if the Olicamp with the graduations on the side has a completely flat bottom or does it come up with an inner circle like the GSI (already have the GSI). Also are the graduations on the inside of the Oli aslo or just the outside?

Canoe Dogs - Keep us posted on how your new project is coming.

#188347 - 11/15/09 12:09 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Pete
One thing that would be really helpful is some kind of SS lid that fits on top of the SS cup.

My Snow Peak 600 comes with a titanium lid that fits nice and tight to facilitate boiling. I checked through my various cloth canteen holders and found one that was big enough to accommodate the lid placed below the cup which in turn is nested around the Nalgene (or the recycled Gatorade bottle if I am really trying to save weight. A 1L platypus could also be used). I can also stuff in some HD aluminum foil for a windscreen. I found some very light weight plastic sheeting to place between the cup and the canteen - otherwise, the cup can become very grungy and I might not have a water to spare for cleaning.

Lids and windscreens have an enormous influence on the ability to boil water.

#188353 - 11/15/09 03:02 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: T_Co]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The foil thread was here. Even heavy-duty foil just isn't much good for heating water in. When you need a pot or cup, there isn't much else that will do.

Potlike containers have been extremely valuable to Mankind for several thousand years. Not having one in your kit is a serious omission, weight or bulk notwithstanding.

I always hated to see people in westerns drain the last drop of water from their canteen and then toss it. What were they planning on putting water in if they found any? Movie directors are dummies.

Sue

#188365 - 11/15/09 01:35 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Real men don't get thirsty.

#188367 - 11/15/09 04:01 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: hikermor]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Real men don't get thirsty.
Because they hydrate continuously?

#188386 - 11/15/09 09:01 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Compugeek]
Pete Offline
Veteran

T_Co and Ironraven

Great idea on just using aluminum foil for a lid. That ought to work pretty well as an improvised lid. Plus - you can buy heavy-duty tin-foil, and double it if you need to. I also like the idea of improvising a lid from the bottom of a coffee can. I have no idea why the people who make SS cups don't make a decent lid for these things.
----------------------

Hikermor said: "Real men don't get thirsty."

Yeah ... they just stay in the mountain bar and drink Corona's - and watch with amusement as the dehydrated hikers plod in at the end of the day.

Pete

Edited by Pete (11/15/09 09:05 PM)

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.