Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#101588 - 08/04/07 04:27 PM How do you Repel Using Paracord?
Enter_Narne Offline
Stranger

Is there a safe way to repel down a building or sheer drop using 550 paracord? I'm thinking it can be done if you use several lengths of paracord to multiply its thickness. I know it is not recommended and I know it's not what it is designed for, but I know it can do it because I keep reading about emergency instructors showing how to do it and I keep reading about people's personal experiences doing it. I'm trying to find out how they do it and I want to see for myself if it is safe. Maybe we can find a way to make it safer. The thing is, with all the stuff I'm reading I don't see any instructions or any pictures/videos.

Can you post a link to instructions on how it is done?

I'm trying to find a way to repel using only the items in my Go Bag.

The things in my kit that I think may help are:
Work Gloves
Backpack (maybe the straps can be used somehow)
Tarp (maybe can be fashioned into a seat)
Hooded Poncho (again maybe a seat)
Re-usable Tie-Wraps
Hammock

I'd be willing to carry a climbing carabiner.

#101590 - 08/04/07 05:03 PM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: Enter_Narne]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Do you know how to rappel on a regular rope diameter? If not then no chance in hell. If you are already an expert in descending a rope probably not. The most experienced climbers in the world use 5MM diameter minimum and that is scetchy.
Where are they teaching this?
If rappeling is at all new to you then forget this nonsense. I have been climbing for more than ten years and I would not want to try it.
Got some links to others using this system?

#101592 - 08/04/07 05:30 PM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: billym]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Its not safe. Wrong tool for the job. Bad idea.

#101594 - 08/04/07 05:41 PM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: billym]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I'm second interested in such a knowledge. Nobody going to climb with paracord on a regular basis. But it's not impossible to descend with it, right? What would you prefer in 9-11 situation? To jump out of the window or try to carefully descend with paracord from your EDC kit even if that's not safe?

So, why don't you give us a lesson on rappelling as an expert? Or may be you know some good links on the subject? Google returns too many commercials to dig through.

What I know so far, is that for an emergency rappelling I need some sort of harness (probably ballistic nylon straps around hips and waist - the lightest variant). Rope, and a rappelling device like the figure 8 thing. Not sure about tubular devices, because they are designed for a standard rope diameters (probably the same applies to figure 8 too). And a carabiner to hook the harness to the device.

Something like this:
http://www.sealsactiongear.com/catalog/store/new_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=12

Edited by Alex (08/04/07 05:50 PM)

#101595 - 08/04/07 05:42 PM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: Enter_Narne]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Several things come to mind as I read the post:
1. If you haven't had professional training in rappel techniques, get some or don't do it. It's more difficult and dangerous than it looks.
2. ONLY use the correct equipment. Most items needed for an emergency egress are small, light weight, and easily carried. Some vendors market this equipment as "Firefighter Bail Out Bags".
3. Equipment should include (at a minimum) 50'- 100' of 8mm low stretch kernmantle (4-4.5K tensile), (2) 1" tubular webbing (one for the anchor and one for the harness), and (4) locking aluminum carabiners.
4. A pair of gloves with leather palms (minimum).
LEARN TO USE THE EQUIPMENT CORRECTLY AND SAFELY. This is a small investiment that potentially has a large return. YOUR LIFE!!
To do less than what is suggested above is inviting grave personal injury or worse, IMHO. YMMV!!

#101597 - 08/04/07 06:14 PM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: rescueguru]
Enter_Narne Offline
Stranger

I have decided my kit will not support rappelling thank you for your advice everyone.

It is no longer necessary to reply to this thread.

Edited by Enter_Narne (08/04/07 06:20 PM)

#101614 - 08/04/07 10:41 PM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: Alex]
billym Offline
Addict

Well in your link they show paracord with the "high angle" gear so maybe the military is teaching this. confused
Of the gear on the site I would choose the rappel harness,the regular figure 8, 6 ovals (I don't like the lockers they have)and the 200' rope. Now you are getting out a window up 100 feet given you can build an anchor. If it was one's appartment I would install masonry type bolts with climbing hangers and add two more biners to the mix. The excess oval biners could allow me flexibilty in my set up including a carabiner rappel set up.

The biggest problem is holding the cord itself.
I have only rapped off 8MM or thicker. When using the 8MM as compared to let's say the standard 10MM I can feel a big difference in my ability to grip the cord.
There are ways one could make up a system with reduncancy but I would rather downclimb a building than try to rap on "sewing thread".

If you wanted to learn how to rappel I would suggest a local climbing gym, a certified guide while visiting the mountains or at least read Freedom of the Hills. I know of no great links for climbing instruction and the one forum I go too is not too Noob friendly for some reason.

Hey if my tone was a little obnoxious before I apologize it is just the rapping off paracord seems like something only John Rambo would do; or maybe his Cliffhanger guide cousin. smirk

It would be difficult and very dangerous to try. Just the cutting factor of the cord is an issue. Climbing ropes running along an edge of the rock have been know to cut like a knife went through it. How would parachord do running along the edge of your window or balcony?
Bill

#101616 - 08/04/07 10:47 PM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: Enter_Narne]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
FYI, there is an entry in the 2006 Accidents in North American Mountaineering where a guy fell 30' while abseiling down a cliff and broke his back, legs etc. Evidently he had no training, was taking long bounds and was using narrow diameter military kevlar cord that frayed/melted over a rock edge at the top of the cliff.

#101619 - 08/04/07 11:14 PM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: aardvark]
billym Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: aardvark
FYI, there is an entry in the 2006 Accidents in North American Mountaineering where a guy fell 30' while abseiling down a cliff and broke his back, legs etc. Evidently he had no training, was taking long bounds and was using narrow diameter military kevlar cord that frayed/melted over a rock edge at the top of the cliff.

Bingo

#101626 - 08/05/07 12:13 AM Re: How do you Repel Using Paracord? [Re: billym]
Enter_Narne Offline
Stranger

Okay. I get the point.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.