The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#186375 - 10/24/09 03:00 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: aloha]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
My cell phone has a built in radio. I have a Motorola 376g from Tracfone

To use the radio you have to plug in the hands-free. The wire works as an antenna. It chews through the battery quickly, and the reception is pretty spotty but its better than nothing.
I have an extra.

#186429 - 10/25/09 01:30 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Yes, telecommunication and information are needed in urban survival. However I feel we are drifting off-topic with the discussion of radios.

People either have no idea what is needed in an urban pocket kit, did not read my clarification post or do not think a pocket kit is needed in an urban setting. I'm not sure which. If people did not read my post of clarification then maybe I need to write a new thread which spells everything out.

Jeanette Isabelle

#186439 - 10/25/09 03:03 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
My understanding is that you wish to add/delete items from your PSP to create a kit that is geared more specifically to an urban environment without changing the footprint of the original kit.

I would add a condom so you can carry water and if would fit, a garbage bag as rain protection/ground cloth/harvesting sack. I would lose the fishing gear if I needed the space but otherwise feel everything else in the kit has utility in an urban environment.

I would add a couple of crisp dollar bills for vending machines I might encounter.

Kona 1

Edited by Kona1 (10/25/09 03:14 AM)
Edit Reason: Just thought of it

#186442 - 10/25/09 03:31 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Kona1]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Trying to think of specifically what you could add to a pocket sized kit that would help in an urban situation, I can only come up with 4 things:

Small flashlight - always handy, even the coin cell type

Paper dust mask - handy if there are fires nearby or dust from fallen structures in the area.

Self adhesive retro-reflective tape - handy if you're walking near where others are driving. Even a 2"x4" piece front and back would make you much more visible to a car or truck at night.

Cash - a couple of 20's for rides and a couple of singles for vending machines, as others have mentioned.

#186455 - 10/25/09 10:54 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: philip]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

City wood produces toxic arsenic ash,
http://www.origen.net/ccawood.html
Originally Posted By: http://www.origen.net/ccawood.html
Burning:Incineration of CCA wood does not destroy arsenic. It is incredible, but a single 12 foot 2 x 6 contains about 27 grams of Arsenic - enough arsenic to kill 250 adults.
Burning CCA wood releases the chemical bond holding Arsenic in the wood, and just one Tablespoon of ash from a CCA wood fire contains a lethal dose of Arsenic. Worse yet, Arsenic gives no warning: it does not have a specific taste or odor to warn you of its presence. No one disputes that the ash from burning CCA wood is highly toxic: It is illegal to burn CCA wood in all 50 states. This has serious implications for firefighters, cleanup and landfill operations.

#186456 - 10/25/09 11:46 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Carpal Tunnel

Thank you. I am considering these suggestions. I am particularly relieved to know people are paying attention.

Jeanette Isabelle

#186871 - 10/29/09 11:58 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I'm in the process of modifying my Pocket Survival Pack to make an urban survival kit. I'm keeping the most important item in the PSK, the instructions. Though most of the information pertains to strictly wilderness survival, there is some information which pertains to all environments. The magnifying lens would come in handy in the event anything happened to my glasses. The Spark-Lite and tender would come in handy if I needed to light a barbecue grill, assuming I had charcoal. The signal mirror can be used as a mirror. Though I already have a conventional size FOX40, a backup whistle wouldn't hurt. A compass can be used in any environment. I can definitely use the sewing needle, thread and safety pins. There is one important item missing from the sewing group, a thimble. I always felt the PSK was missing this important item so today I'm adding one to it.

Using the information in the thread, "Best way to clue EMTs to medical facts," I included a piece of paper (4 1/2" by 3 5/8") with medical and contact information, front and back, placed in the back of my Pocket Survival Pack. I plan to EDC my Pocket Survival Pack in my pocket rather than in my purse in the event something happens to my purse.

Today I realized the thimble is a bit big for the Pocket Survival Pack so I took it out. I will be adding a $5 bill (day pass bus fare) with a high likelihood of additional bills. I imagine this has been addressed before, how is the best way to add medications without crushing them? I was thinking of using an additional plastic vial, like the one for the sewing needle and safety pins. Does anyone have another suggestion for storing medication in my Pocket Survival Pack?

Jeanette Isabelle

#186882 - 10/30/09 02:20 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My EDC/PSK (at home) consists of what I carry daily upon my person:

Double Leather Magazine pouch with the following: photon/laser light (w/spare batteries), leatherman, Buck 110 lock blade, 20 ft woven nylon cord

In my pants: cell phone, inkpen, Bic lighter, eyeglass case, pocket watch, & a Blood Stone

If, like Monday morning, I had to run an errand to a town 20 miles away, I also carry my GHB and a pistol/hunting knife

At work, I carry the same things in my pants, but in the pouch that I have on my belt is: SAK, Leatherman, photon/laser light (w/spare batteries), magnesium bar w/flint, Bic Lighter, 4 AA size batteries, Mini-Maglite, "credit card survival tool" (includes a magnifying glass and a compass)

At work, I alweays keep my GHB close to me.

#186906 - 10/30/09 05:00 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Does anyone have another suggestion for storing medication in my Pocket Survival Pack?

Does it have to be in the PSP? How about a pill fob on your key chain?

#186907 - 10/30/09 05:07 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: aloha]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
A travel pill case is very flat, about the size of a matchbook and should have a flatter profile than the vial, even multiples would be flat, also have you looked at a leather thimble? Flatter than regular ones and quite effective.

Kona1

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.