Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#187931 - 11/10/09 03:37 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Very interesting Aloha. Is there any organization in the compartments or are they each just a large bag? Can you post some pics of the interior, and your loadout?

I had an idea when looking at the site. For a more discreet urban/non-wilderness carrying option, I envisioned some strategically placed snaps that would connect the 2 carrying bags and unite the shoulder straps into a form like a sling bag. That way you could move around less noticeably in the city but unsnap it and go into vest mode when practical. It would take a few tweaks to the root design but I bet it could be done... just brainstormin'!

There is organization in em. Here's a video by a great guy. David does a better job than I could showing the Ribz vest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BushcraftOnFire#p/search/0/H1r_cGe9wpM

#187932 - 11/10/09 03:40 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: ironraven]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Originally Posted By: thseng
ala Ironraven's ditch kit.

WOOT! I have fans!

*gets very still, realizing I look silly, then going into calm and distinguished*

It is similiar to my MAV and other similiar vests. This has the advantage of looking very civilian, while still being well built (at least based on it's reputation). While it would probably set off the paranoia of TSA and mall cops, I think it looks very innocent. Which my MAV really doesn't, although most things hanging on me aren't going to look very innocent. But I would put into the same category as Civilian Labs- it looks like someone is adapting high-speed designs to high-drag life styles, and I have my concerns that it might be inadvertently much higher profile than most of us want. But worn with a pack, I honestly don't think anyone would really notice.

My concern with it is the configuration of the straps. As this is designed to be warn with a pack, I have my concerns about them almost being too thin and thus prone to rolling or getting slack if worn alone. I've had that with my MAV when I don't have the X-Harness in it, even.

The price is good, but I don't see any colors other than black on the website.

Right now black is it. A hunter's camo is being released. Other colors will probably follow. Ray's company is quite new so the production will likely have to ramp up before he can produce more variety. Although I did ask him about making it in aloha prints to be none threatening to PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER..

#187933 - 11/10/09 03:43 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: hikermor]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
It is interesting gear, but I have one question. Have you worn it together with a back pack, and how does it feel? (Uhh.. I guess that's two questions.) It looks like you would have two sets of straps over your shoulders and I suspect that might not work out too well on a fairly long trip.

It is really nice to have frontal access when wearing a pack. You can also achieve that by attaching pouches or bags to the waist strap, although those will ride a bit lower than the Ribz pack.

It is fine with a pack although I cannot say about extended carry. Once I get a long hike in, I will let you know.

I like that what I carry in it is separate from my pack and also not attached to my pack.

The straps are 1 1/2 inch wide.

See the video I posted the link to. That and the Ribz website.

#187964 - 11/10/09 04:07 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: hikermor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Like I said I have been looking for front access systems for quite some time. Honestly there is not the supply of pouches and pockets to put on the hip belt or shoulder straps like one would think.

Just for example, I have a Delorme PN-40 GPS. Delorme does not have a pouch for carry. I looked at every sports/rec store, office supply and techo big box, nothing fit. Ended up using a MOLLE radio pouch.

If you have a cell phone or camera, no problem. If your looking for a pouch with any real space for holding items like a map, food, etc, your S.O.L. Your better finding something military based or McGuyver something you find that you like.

#187971 - 11/10/09 04:33 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: comms]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Just for example, I have a Delorme PN-40 GPS. Delorme does not have a pouch for carry. I looked at every sports/rec store, office supply and techo big box, nothing fit.

This should fit your Delorme GPS;

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Berghaus/ECase-Large.aspx

http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1532&Gear=3

I use the small version and is a perfect fit for a Garmin Etrex.

The Berghaus Sun Glasses case is excellent as well.

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Berghaus/ShadeCase.aspx

#187975 - 11/10/09 06:14 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the links, you think outside the box like me. Part of my problem with specifically the PN40, is that it is taller and thicker than most any GPS. I was very surprised at the lack of civilian marketing for decent storage on pack straps and webbing. I had to do fit tests for the PN40, so excluded all online purchases. if its a perfect fit for the eTrex, (I own one) there is no chance in heck it will fit the DeLorme.

To spin this back around to the Ribz vest and why I think its a good idea is that it allows, I don't know, probably 400 cubic inches of space. About half a normal backpack. Plenty of space for jamming in all sorts of hands on stuff you'd normally put in the top pouch of a large pack but too small to fit in a camera, cell phone, sunglasses case.

This is ultimately why I chose, in my situation (YMMV)a mountainsmith DAY lumbar pack. I use it daily right now for work, will use it for short hikes as a stand alone, and as a front pack with my backpack for multi day trips. The DAY will never leave my body outside my tent. Much like an Army LBE.

I think the one detraction of all front wear systems, and the Ribz or MS Day is no different, is body heat dissipation. If it gets the rep of being to hot to wear, it won't gain market share.

#188011 - 11/11/09 01:48 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: comms]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
[censored]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/US-AIR-FORCE-SURVIVA...=item2303b68410

Edited by big_al (11/11/09 02:04 AM)

#188029 - 11/11/09 04:20 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: big_al]
comms Offline
Veteran

@ Big Al, are you trying to list a Pilots Survival vest? I have one. FWIW, I am not impressed by it. I have tried to use it but it doesn't hold enough space for even a basic day hike and its uncomfortable to wear under a pack. Thats my opinion. I like military gear, I'm a vet. Its a novelty IMO, but I am very opinionated.

#188033 - 11/11/09 08:00 AM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: comms]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: comms
Like I said I have been looking for front access systems for quite some time. Honestly there is not the supply of pouches and pockets to put on the hip belt or shoulder straps like one would think.

Just for example, I have a Delorme PN-40 GPS. Delorme does not have a pouch for carry. I looked at every sports/rec store, office supply and techo big box, nothing fit. Ended up using a MOLLE radio pouch.

If you have a cell phone or camera, no problem. If your looking for a pouch with any real space for holding items like a map, food, etc, your S.O.L. Your better finding something military based or McGuyver something you find that you like.

+1. I sweet-talked a shoe repair man into making a pouch for my GPS out of some vinyl kind of material. I cut holes in it so I can operate the GPS inside the pouch. Each corner of the pouch has a tab with a hole, so I can fasten the pouch to anything, the backpack strap or whatever. If I want to look like an über-geek I can strap it to my forearm.... I mostly strap it to my map case. That way I can look at the map and the GPS at the same time without opening anything. (Compass needs to be taken out of the map case and away from the GPS and everything else magnetic to work).

The pockets of my jacket fulfill the role of front load system. I am always adjusting my clothing (hat on, hat off, gloves on, gloves off and so on) in response to my varying heat production and environmental factors. Gloves/mittens, hat and scarf goes into my big jacket pockets when they go off, which also has room for some additional items. I also have 2 small pockets that are used for stuff like flashlight and small odds and ends.

This vest looks like a great system, but I am a bit hesitant to jump on this wagon:

• I worry a bit if this vest would interfere with my current "front pack" system. (Map+GPS+compass on front as described above. Clothing for my head, neck and finger clothing on my person or in my front pockets. Whistle, flashlight and perhaps some additional small gadgets in my small front pockets).
  • When I'm not wearing a backpack this system allows me to bring more stuff without overloading my jacket pockets, which is good. But why don't I just use a smaller backpack, the day pack size or similar? This vest may actually be more comfortable than a small day pack, remains to be verified.
  • With a backpack on I frankly do not need this system, and would not wear it (except perhaps in my pack).

To me, the biggest merits of this system would be to have it easily accessible in or on my backpack so when my backpack goes off this vest comes on. It weights next to nothing compared to a regular small daypack, and it may even be more comfortable to wear. You need some system for organizing your critical gear anyway, and this vest may fulfill that role AND be a comfortable means of carrying it as well.

#188041 - 11/11/09 02:51 PM Re: Ribz Vest [Re: hikermor]
sotto Offline
Addict

I just scanned through the thread and didn't see anything about the following (sorry if I missed it), but this "chameleon gear" vest looks like just the ticket for the stuff I'd like to carry discretely when heading out:

Video review of the ScottE Vest

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 491 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.