Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#188019 - 11/11/09 03:05 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: tomfaranda]
UrbanKathy Offline

Loc: Queens, NYC
I work 10 to 14 hours a day in Manhattan, sometimes weekends too, and ride the subways constantly. That's what can happen.

#188020 - 11/11/09 03:15 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Neither the Northridge quake (1994) or the Loma Prieta quake (1989)resulted in the doomsday scenario you envision. The largest quake to hit an US urban area, the 1906 San Francisco quake (somewhere around a 7.8) was a bit different. Martial law was declared and the army shot roughly 500 looters, some of whom may have been legitimate owners salvaging their own property. Refugee camps were established, including some temporary structures that resemble Katrina cottages, and remained in use for about two years. The 1906 quake was the largest insurance payout in US history until Katrina.

Some looting is an inevitable result of almost any incident, but it takes a really big event to trigger chaos. Historically, California does a pretty decent job of weathering catastrophes. San Francisco in 1906 had a population of just slightly over 400,000, so the next Richter 8 may have a much nastier effect on highly urbanized and heavily populated SoCAl. Maybe we will find out and maybe we won't.

#188025 - 11/11/09 04:00 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Hikermore - those were minor earthquakes compared to the big one that is coming. A huge earthquake will affect millions and millions of people over a wide scale in So. California.

Next time you take an airplane out of Los Angeles, take a look at the density of housing. It goes for long, long distances in all directions. There are very few sources of fresh water in the L.A. basin, and those that do exist are not accessible to a lot of people. It is reasonable to expect that the scenario of looting, scavenging, and fighting could be very real.

I do believe that a lot of people will show some of the best traits in human nature. People will share food, water and meds. But it's also reasonable to expect the worst as well.

The smart strategy is to be as self-sufficient as possble - because it allows you (and your family) to stay off the streets as long as possible. Maintaining a good survival kit, with long-term food & water, is a vital way to do this.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Pete

#188027 - 11/11/09 04:11 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

JeanetteIsabelle: As I said earlier - the idea of a mini kit is fine. But you do need extra stuff if you really want to seriously improve your odds. Definitely you will need sneakers and a warm jacket (fleece is good). These things WON'T fit into your purse at all. Therefore, the strategy I am suggesting to you is that you pack these extra bulky items in a special (larger) bag and store it in a special location. You do not need to access this emergency bag daily, or even weekly. It can sit for months in your designated location - just so long as nobody messes it up. Therefore, a part of your survival strategy is to figure out WHERE to stash this emergency bag. Maybe you've got a friend who lives close to work? Maybe there's a locker you can get for free? Maybe there is some spare storage space somewhere at your work location - some place that you can lock and nobody cares about it. It will really help you if you can find your pwn personal storage spot.

UrbanKathy: You've got a lot of great ideas there. I use bandannas for a lot of purposes. They are great for head protection (do-rags), bandages, water filters, pressure dressings, providing flammable materials to start a fire, signalling, and - believe it or not - as a very effective self-defense tool. Carry on with the good work! Some time we need to start a separate thread to discuss how to find sources of drinking water in an urban environment. This is not a trivial undertaking. That's why it is REALLY helpful to have one (or two) quarts of clean water stashed away in a place that only you can access.

Pete

Edited by Pete (11/11/09 04:17 AM)

#188040 - 11/11/09 02:30 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Pete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Pete
Definitely you will need sneakers and a warm jacket (fleece is good).

Pete. I really do not think we are communicating. Why would I need sneakers when I am able to walk from where work to home in the footwear I normally wear? Furthermore, as I said in my last post to you, "I always bring a jacket when there is an indication I may need it." Today I checked today's forecast as I normally do. Today's high temperature is 70°F. I most certainly need a jacket today. The jacket I'm wearing today is not a fleece jacket but it is ideal for today's weather.

Jeanette Isabelle

#188043 - 11/11/09 02:58 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Jeanette: Perhaps you are already ready for anything that could happen during a 24-hr period. In that case you are perfectly fine. No problems - best wishes to you.
Pete

#188055 - 11/11/09 05:20 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: UrbanKathy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Kathy,
What part of Queens? I'm up in Bayside Hills
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#188062 - 11/11/09 06:26 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: KG2V]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If I thought that I was prepared on every level I would not be asking about urban pocket kits.

Here is a brief refresher on what I have on different levels:

At home I have a couple of cases of bottled water, food which does not require cooking such as protein bars, a first aid kit and extra first aid supplies, battery powered radio, flashlight, spare batteries, and tools.

In my car I have one day's supply of bottled water, tools specific to repairs I know how to make on my car, a roadside kit which includes a small first aid kit and an escape tool. The escape tool has been relocated from the roadside kit to the pocket of the driver-side door and secured by placing a detailers' towel on top of it.

In my purse I have things like a checkbook, Ultralight .7 first aid kit, CPR mask, a .5L bottle of water, medications and certain other items typically found in a purse.

On my person I have clothing and footwear appropriate for that day's forecast, an FOX40 whistle, a pill fob with my anxiety medication, cell phone, medical ID bracelet, AA LED flashlight and a pocket kit (which is a work in progress). Sometimes I carry a .5L bottle of water in addition to the one I have in my purse.

Note: Earlier I carried a bigger flashlight in my purse. Now that I have a smaller flashlight on my person I find that I use it more often.

Jeanette Isabelle

#188078 - 11/11/09 09:01 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Urban Kathy, my comment as to what can happen in Queens(?)was a feeble effort at humor by a New York suburbanite!

#188087 - 11/11/09 11:22 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: tomfaranda]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I am going to put my oar in the water on this one.

I have been following this thread closely. I check it almost every day. What I have gathered is there are variations on a theme in regards to the USK. After perusing this thread time and again, I believe the answer has been given in the form of all the options and insights put forth. I am thinking that a definitive list or answer is being requested. A few times there have been statements similar to "what I meant to ask" or "what I meant to say". I do not think there is a lack of communication. I believe it is just as mentioned earlier, there is not a definitive list posted by a single person. I have gleaned more than enough information from the recommendations to assemble a USK. Everyone has done a great job at bringing forth ideas and asking questions to further clarify the situation. This is an outstanding discussion. I have learned a lot. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

My $.02

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.