The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#186188 - 10/22/09 04:41 PM Urban Survival Kit
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Does anyone know of any urban survival kit?

Jeanette Isabelle

#186189 - 10/22/09 04:57 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I used to until losing it recently. It was an Altoids tin that held some first aid stuff, "repair" stuff, and few odds/ends.

First aid: aspirin, Imodium AD, Midol (for the wife), Benadryl, bandaids, moleskin.

Repair stuff: duct tape, dental floss, zip ties, safety pins, sewing needles, small uber-strong magnet, paper clip

Odds/ends: small compass, mini-Bic, trick birthday candle (relights itself after blowing out), emory board, 3 NATO stom matches.

The theory behind this kit (coupled with my LM multitool) allowed me to make a lot of makeshift repairs to stuff or handle minor boo-boos right on the spot rather to go off in search of the necessary supplies. Most of my time is spent in urban setting where I am able easily able to obtain water, shelter, food from many places under most circumstances so I don't worry about that (though I do keep extra food/water/clothing stashed at work and in my truck).

It was really just a convienence kit and and I haven't replaced it in the six weeks since losing it, though I did start carrying a lighter. I like to know I can call up fire anytime I want.

Sidenote: my keychain has a whistle, a flashlight, a P-38 can opener, a pill fob, and a screwdriver thingy.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#186190 - 10/22/09 05:18 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Blast]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
In a wilderness setting, fire making tools are good to have. In an urban setting, firewood is sparse. Also in an urban environment one can't build a camp fire just anywhere though there are places to do so such as in a park charcoal grill.

Jeanette Isabelle

#186200 - 10/22/09 06:39 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
In an urban setting if you have to traverse a lot of city before you get to the country you might try to carry one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/785006
that way you could slip into an alley and at least have a hot cup of something.

#186202 - 10/22/09 06:50 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
In a wilderness setting, fire making tools are good to have. In an urban setting, firewood is sparse. Also in an urban environment one can't build a camp fire just anywhere though there are places to do so such as in a park charcoal grill.

True, but my lighter has come to the rescue lighting the candles on more than one birthday cake at work. This definitely scores me brownie points which is a good thing. Tools aren't just for disasters, the ability to create a flame isn't just for campfires.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#186205 - 10/22/09 07:05 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: big_al]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: big_al
you might try to carry one of these:

ESBITs work really well.
There is a more rugged version folding steel stove that also contains the tablets - they were standard British army issue before chemical heating packs.
Not exactly precise control for fine cuisine and a bit pricey for extended use but half a tablet will make a cup of tea on a mountain in 5mins.

For all things Esbit http://zenstoves.net/SolidFuelBurner.htm

ps. If you are a Brit of a certain age - these are the fuel tablets from Mamod steam engines.

#186207 - 10/22/09 07:09 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I live in a town, and I have no intention of building a camp fire, but I definitely keep fire-making stuff in my kit. I have survival candles that give off heat as well as light. I have a propane camp stove that I would cook on if I'm in my particular survival situation.* There are lots of uses for fire other than camp fires, even in a town.

However, don't discount campfires just because you live in an "urban environment." Assuming it hasn't all burned down from raging gas-fed fires when all the gas mains break, there'll be lots of building scraps laying in huge piles after the quake, and having a camp fire in a parking lot is a great way to fight off depression and cold. I recommend safely built and tended fires. They're not just for cooking.

*I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and my expected disaster is an earthquake. It's my assumption that I'll be stranded a week with no outside help of any kind. I have supplies for the two of us for a month.

#186223 - 10/22/09 08:48 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: philip]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
If you Google "Urban Survival Kit" quite a few items pop up. None I'm familiar with.

By Urban Survival Kit, are you envisioning something sized for a pocket? A purse? Briefcase? Backpack?

My life is truly urban -- inner city home, office and most socializing. I can walk home in pumps without too much pain. For a suburban commuter I'd put footwear and blister prevention and care high up on the USK list.

My tiniest USK is my neck lanyard that I don't even walk down the block without, on it is: Doug's new flashlight, Fox-40 whistle, house key. Several years ago while walking home from work, much of my zip code lost power. Thank goodness I was already in the post-9/11 habit of having a Petzl Zipka headlamp in my purse. Couldn't see my hand in front of my face before I turned that headlamp on.

Purse: cash, headlamp, Doug's e-PICO flashlight, small cheap pocketknife (in case it's confiscated at a security checkpoint), pepper spray.

Car: my Honda Element is itself a tent on wheels and well stocked at all times with bottled water, Luna Bars, camping gear (including Coleman Dual-Fuel one-burner), backpack, hiking boots/socks, rain parka, Marmot Dri-Clime, hats, gloves, First Aid and road safety gear. Whenever I'm driving around the metro area or further I grab a shoulder bag that includes cash, Doug's MK3 knife, CRKT MAK-1 and CRKT Extrik-8-7 (emergency tool and seatbelt cutter), Gransfors Bruks mini-belt hatchet and an extra pair of eyeglasses (my contacts are disposables).

Home: Now that I've got 7 seven-gallon Aquatiners for storing water, I have enough food, water and camping gear at the ready at home to be comfortable far longer than I'd want to be in this city in a severe emergency. Oh, and the preparations include dog food and dog meds. My dog is on a high-end food that the chains don't carry so I'm in the habit of keeping at least a month's supply on hand for her.

Edited by Dagny (10/22/09 09:15 PM)

#186224 - 10/22/09 09:14 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Someone (Doug) should market a Commuter Survival Kit, with a lightweight rucksack as the vessel.

If I lived more than a few miles from work, I would have in my office a backpack that had Gore-tex hiking shoes containing hiking socks carabinered to it (in the event there is much wreckage from buildings collapsing then you'd want some sturdy shoes).

Backpack contents:

Two water bottles
AM-FM radio + extra batteries
Headlamp + extra batteries
Flashlight + extra batteries
Knife (Doug's RSK MK-1 being my preference)
Rain parka
Hat
Season-appropriate clothes (especially in winter)
Leather gloves
Extra eyeglasses
First Aid kit
AMK Bivvy
cotton bandanas
pepper spray

More than a 10 mile commute and I'd have a larger backpack and add to it:

firestarter + lighter + matches
AMK Heatsheets 2-person Survival Blanket
paracord
Luna Bars (or Cliff MoJo bars)
Katadyn Micropur Water purification tablets

There ought to be a sizable market for a Commuter Survival Kit. Few ever hike in the woods yet those kits are selling.

Edited by Dagny (10/22/09 09:17 PM)

#186225 - 10/22/09 09:25 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Dagny]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.