The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#187742 - 11/07/09 12:31 AM Hydration
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Does someone have a reference regarding the hydration requirements of a person hiking, hunting, nordic skiing?

How much water do you need per day.

#187743 - 11/07/09 12:35 AM Re: Hydration [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
In what enviroment/temerature?

#187758 - 11/07/09 03:26 AM Re: Hydration [Re: T_Co]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Let's use 3000 feet, dry conditions at 68 degrees F.

A solid reference would be appreciated.

#187778 - 11/07/09 01:43 PM Re: Hydration [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
Does someone have a reference regarding the hydration requirements of a person hiking, hunting, nordic skiing?
How much water do you need per day.

the united states army field manual, known for dealing with the needs of large groups of people:
here.

#187780 - 11/07/09 05:25 PM Re: Hydration [Re: bsmith]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
You are asking for three very different types of activity. Nordic skiing is a very aerobic activity. Hiking can be considered aerobic but it is mostly a low impact activity that affects the muscular/skeletal systems before the heart/lungs. (This does not consider the individual fitness, amount of weight being carried, temperature, altitude and elevation.) Hunting also has a wide variance of aerobic potential but is is mostly a walking, stalking, sitting environment. Depending on the animal, birds would add very little to effort but hauling a deer would be quite taxing physically.

All this activity also does not include how each individuals body processes exertion, heat and sweat rates.

Still with me? So all this being said as a general rule of thumb I recommend drinking between 4-6oz of water every hour awake. This is not guzzling a liter every 4 hours, this is consistent imbibing every hour. This is also in line with most philosophy of drinking 12 oz of water 6x per day or 8oz of water 8x per day. With increases in consistent activity, nordic skiing by example, a person could/probably should be looking at closer to 1 liter per hour.

It is not advisable to 'pound' water or guzzle a liter at a time, regardless of activity. Consistent sipping will allow the kidneys to flush toxins out of the blood and keep your core temperature lower.

#187784 - 11/07/09 05:53 PM Re: Hydration [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
There is no one answer.

Things that factor in:
-physical condition
-activity type and duration
-temperature
-humidity
-general health
-what you eat
-medication
-injury

You should be peeing clear and colorless. You should do so several times a day. That is the closest there is to "one answer".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#187795 - 11/08/09 12:44 AM Re: Hydration [Re: ironraven]
comms Offline
Veteran

@IronRaven

Well put. I suppose I will also through out the cliche, "if your thirsty its too late."

#187799 - 11/08/09 01:38 AM Re: Hydration [Re: comms]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Back in the 80s a few military organizations went to a [censored]/drink on demand standard in the field during hot weather. August in Camp Blanding, pushing 100F, no wind, 100% humidity can eat your lunch.

At the first sign of dragging, other times entirely randomly, someone would tell you to take a leak. If you couldn't produce a good stream you were told to drink a canteen full of water. Other times they would just tell you to drink, just making sure.

Mostly it was the macho guys who were too tough to drink, and a few country boys who think 'you sweat less if you don't drink', as if that was a good thing, that had issues. They were usually the ones who got 'bear caught' and fell out. It can come up fast. One minute I was talking to a guy who looked a bit winded and the next he was on the ground having convulsions. Serious enough a situation that we flew him out by helicopter packed in ice.

We had had problems but after that it was [censored]/drink on demand.

Cold weather doesn't drop the bodies from dehydration as quickly. It kind of sneaks up on people. Cold seems to suppress the feelings of thirst. Under such conditions dehydration can make you feel colder, make you more prone to frostbite and generally decrease physical and mental performance. Having a few people who had to be surgically 'opened up' with a glorified apple corer due to 'fecal impaction' caused by dehydration, described as the worse case of constipation imaginable, caused a greater emphasis to be placed on proper hydration.

Good times.

#187801 - 11/08/09 01:49 AM Re: Hydration [Re: Art_in_FL]
comms Offline
Veteran

I would peacefully disagree with your comment on Cold weather not causing dehydration as quickly. I may be parsing your words or thoughts, but coldness is a false sense of hydration security.

Perhaps because people don't stay out in the elements as long in cold or the activities are not as vigorous but people get dehydrated at alarming rates because of this false sense. A cold wind will absolutely dehydrate a person.

As to to the drink on demand in the military. i remember those times very well. A deep booming voice saying loudly, "HYDRATE".

I use that with my son to this day.

#187804 - 11/08/09 02:02 AM Re: Hydration [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Dehydration can also contribute to hypothermia. If it hadn't happened to me, it wouldn't have occurred to me. Then I looked it up, and guess what?!

"Cold weather dehydration can lead to total body core cooling."
http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/cold.htm

Sue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.