The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#188263 - 11/14/09 12:44 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: LED]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
One of my previous dogs panicked when a friend walked into the house wearing a hat. She had her pinned in a corner, barking furiously. I yelled, "Take off the hat!"

My dog was VERY embarrassed when she realized who The Killer really was. You wouldn't think dogs would be embarrassed, but she was. Apologetic, too.

Treats can be very handy. And many dog owners will preface giving them one with "Do you want a treat (or cookie)?" That might prevent the dog from thinking your throwing motion is a threat.

Sue

#188280 - 11/14/09 03:11 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Susan]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
Blast,
You did an excellent job of keeping your group safe. It's a shame no one else had a hiking stick and stepped up to help you and themselves.

Here's a little food for thought...
Last year one of my wife's co-workers was attacked by 2 dogs on her daily run.

The dogs, Labrador Retrivers, weighed less than 100 pounds each.
They escaped their enclosure, chased her, and attacked her from behind. During the attack they severed her brachial artery and she nearly bled to death from her wounds, which included severe lacerations to her arms, chest and legs. One of the EMT's on the scene was overheard saying that he had never seen so much blood.

These dogs had never so much as barked at her before, she lived across the street and jogged past every day. She knew the dogs and they knew her.

Fortunately, the dog's owner, a registered nurse, was at home at the time of the attack and heard her screaming. Her quick action probably saved her neighbor's life.

The RN's dogs were put down. The jogger is still in rehab regaining the full use of her hand.

The moral of the story boys and girls is that dogs, no matter how much we love them, are only a few steps removed from the pack of wolves or coyotes chasing a deer through a forest near you.

No matter the size of the dog be aware that they may attack you for what may seem like no reason at all.

Does this mean that we should be scared of all dogs? No, but, we should be aware of what they are capable of doing.

#188330 - 11/14/09 09:47 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: porkchop]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I always cringe when I see some stupid runner/jogger/cycler going merrily down the street, both ears plugged with music, totally oblivious to everything around them. No street smarts. No survival instincts. Dumb.

Sue

#188340 - 11/14/09 10:37 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Susan]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Wow. I've never heard of labs doing that. Defensive? sure. Offensive when not mistreated? I guess you're right, you never know.

#188355 - 11/15/09 04:01 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: UpstateTom]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
What makes the jogger/cyclist an even greater danger to themselves is that they are usually traveling in the wrong direction.

I had never heard of labs doing it either. Sure they've bitten people, but chase them down and maul them. That's a new one to me. That was one of the reasons the owners gave for having the dogs put down. Once the trust was gone what were they going to do?

Edited by porkchop (11/15/09 04:04 AM)

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.