Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#185030 - 10/12/09 03:50 PM Anyone use a Lumbar pack?
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I am considering a Mountainsmith DAY or TOUR lumbar pack. Has anyone used either of these and give me a +/-?

I normally use camelbaks or backpacks for day hikes but have been enjoying my running belts modified for more gear carry.

Been looking at reconstituting my LBE with buttpack or a Wildfire firefighter rig, but would need to add 32 oz lexan bottle holders. I intend to use the Mountainsmith Strapette harness that complements their packs.

Thanks for your feedback.

#185031 - 10/12/09 03:52 PM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: comms]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I use one-I forgot what model it is. I suggest finding the suspenders for it-rides MUCH better that way.
The model I have is quite capable of holding a surprisingly large amount of equipment-I can get a good sized survival kit in there, and even a soda can stove with a little thing of fuel. A jacket strapped on the outside, it makes a great emergency/overnight pack.

#185096 - 10/13/09 01:16 AM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: oldsoldier]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
I have an old Mountainsmith lumbar pack I got in the late 80's. It's very comfortable to carry, has straps to tie on jacket, pad, etc. and expands a little. I like to use it on short hunting trips, and used to take it on occasional minimalist overnights.
Mountainsmith, REI, Cabela's and several others make quality lumbar packs that should do what you want. shop around and find one that feels good on you and go with it.
And yes, the suspenders are vital to carrying any load in them.

#185098 - 10/13/09 01:31 AM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: EdD270]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I have both models. The Tour is very good size for a day hike and I've used it quite a lot.

But the Day model is almost too big - it just doesn't ride right. I have never used it with the strappettes, which convert it into a quasi-day pack and I'm sure it would work better that way. however - I have several day packs which I'd prefer.

Really the Day model is too much of an in-betweener. If you want mine I'll give it to you at a good price!

Strongly recommend the Tour.

#185282 - 10/14/09 04:13 PM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: tomfaranda]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I prefer a backpack with a sturdy hipbelt.

#185289 - 10/14/09 05:23 PM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

I tried on a mountainsmith Tour pack and didn't like the water bottle set ups. Its just drawstring cords which are not very secure.

I am reconstituting my LBE with two nalgene water bottle holders instead of canteens, ammo cases to old odd/ends and my buttpack for storage. Unless I find something different, I will start to manufacture my own suspenders and belt to old all this gear, just to get the GI style off it. It would certainly be lighter.

My dad has an older USFS wildfire belt & suspender kit that he is looking for. Always liked those too and will try that out.

#185349 - 10/15/09 01:41 AM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: comms]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

I haven't had a problem with my mountainsmith Tour, as far as the water bottles. Haven't had any fall out, or even start coming out, either in 20 or 32 ounce size. And I've used it a lot.

#185353 - 10/15/09 01:57 AM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: comms]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: comms
My dad has an older USFS wildfire belt & suspender kit that he is looking for. Always liked those too and will try that out.

Ugh...don't. Can't put it any more succinctly than that...just don't. Massive slippage and poor weight distribution.

Recommended: the Pack Shack's webgear (bottom only):

http://thepackshack.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=Packs

Nobody is going to know what's going to fit you except you, so see if you can arrange a meet-and-greet-and-fit with one of the Tonto's 'shot crews (PV, Payson, and Globe)...they might think you're nuts, but they'll probably let you hike around with one for a bit. Shot crews are down right now, so ask for the Hotshot Superintendent or the AFMO (Assistant Fire Management Officer). The Mesa RD engine crews also used them if that's closer to home (Lower Salt River Rec).

This is all ten-years-plus info, by the way. But somebody should know what you're talking about and be willing to help out.

#185415 - 10/15/09 04:45 PM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: yelp]
comms Offline
Veteran

@Yelp: based on PM's I have always liked the way you think. Great advice.

@Tom: good to know about slippage. I am paranoid about losing gear and if its not secured I'd just as well dummy-cord it. After trying the Tour on, I was underwelmed at the placement of the water holders and my ability to reach it easily and put it back easily.

This is why I may go with an LBE now and then stitch up my own suspension system in the end. I'd just use the milispec gear along the belt. I do have some 'rigger' skills and my father is much better than I. If I wanted to Big Shot it, I have a custom build company I have worked with in the past that is out of this world on gear.

Any chance we can keep this thread going? Any experience with Mountainsmith lumbar packs?

#185429 - 10/15/09 06:12 PM Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? [Re: comms]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Comms, you're right - reaching the water bottles can be a bit awkward (never a deal-breaker for me)... but they won't fall out!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 409 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.