Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#187786 - 11/07/09 06:21 PM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: dweste]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: dweste
Your suggestion to turn the kettles into samovars by adding folding spigots would seem to introduce new problems of packing and transport, as well as vulnerability to damage.

Have you ever saw the reversible screw on spigots on plastic water jugs? That would be a perfect solution when made in metal. Need it - unscrew and reverse. Don't need it - leave it inside.

A removable top lid for the fire chamber "volcano" might make transport of items inside the chamber more handy. A second removable lid that opened the top of the water chamber would ease filling, emptying, and cleaning it - and might allow its use for cooking. A lid that incorporated both features seems possible, though might challenge the stability of the overall strength of design.

The secret of samovar strength is in its shape. Most of those decorative ribs, extrusions, and curved shapes are in fact the product of deep knowledge of physics, hydrodynamics, and structural strength.

Have you sent your suggestions to any of the three kettle companies?
They wouldn't listen. Look at their prices now and imagine quadrupling their expenses on implementing the necessary features. I've calculated once how much it might cost to make an ideal one myself... ~ around $700 - minus cost of materials (80% - turning lathe work, 20%- manual threading, 0% welding).

Edited by Alex (11/07/09 06:22 PM)

#187843 - 11/09/09 01:08 AM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: Alex]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Alex
We've discussed the drawbacks of these kettles several times on this forum (and the ways to fix that) years ago. But manufacturers aren't listening.

What you think are "drawbacks" are debateable. I'm perfectly happy with my Kelly Kettle, and it didn't cost close to $700.

#187847 - 11/09/09 02:36 AM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Seems awfully heavy for what it does. Still, an interesting gadget.
Smaller sizes weigh about a pound or so. What does your water filter, UV pen, stove, fuel and fuel bottle, water bottle and cooking pot weigh?

The lightest weight for a kelly kettle in the cited sources was 1lb, 13 oz. If I were going lightweight, the alternative I would choose is an sub liter aluminum pot (or recycled coffee can, if we are saving money, weighing , oh, say, 4 oz. Now life is simplified and there is no need for water filter, UV pen, stove, fuel,or fuel bottle. Build a fire, boil water, brew tea, and enjoy life.

When I started in the outdoors, we routinely cooked on campfires. Later I went to various stoves for convenience and use above timberline and during winter climbing trips. On most of my normal trips, either on foot or by bike, I now favor a gas canister stove, but I retain the ability to build a simple campfire using available fuel. In an emergency situation, the campfire cooks your food, purifies your water, and directly heats your body and the immediate surroundings, as well as signaling your location.

The Kelly kettle would definitely be a good tool if you are in stealth mode.

#187850 - 11/09/09 03:12 AM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I note that Christmas is coming up. If a Kelly kettle found its way into my stocking, I would prefer that to all the gewgaws and disposable rubbish in the world. I need to put out the word.

But I always thought the reverse design would be more practical -- chimney on the outside, and a sealable vessel on the inside. I've considered scrounging up an old Alladin 2-litre stainless steel thermos, cutting up the outside for a firebox and chimney, and lighting 'er up. Then, when the tea/coffee/soup was ready, scrape out the coals and screw the top back in for transport. Voila!

#187852 - 11/09/09 03:28 AM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: dougwalkabout]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California

#188054 - 11/11/09 05:14 PM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: dweste]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I finally got around to testing the Simplex No4 Kettle (a new one just arrived today) to test its efficiency and speed using an old Coleman Gas Stove and Gasmate adapter.

Simplex No4 Copper Kettle

Simple No4 Copper Kettle Heat Exchanger

The Simplex No4 Kettle is all Copper Construction (beautifully chromed outside with Nickel plating inside) except for the kettle lid top and handle, which is apparently made from turned ebonised beech wood and is designed to be used with gas burning stoves due to the design of the heat exchanger system. The Kettle weighs 1048 grams or just under 37oz. The Capacity is stated at 1.7 Litres or 57 fl oz. Overall the kettle has the look of a very durable and quality well made and designed product with excellent ergonomics i.e. it is very easy to pour boiling water into smaller containers. The ambient temperature inside was around 18C under controlled conditions.

I tested the kettle with around 38 fl oz of water (1.125 litres) of quite cold water at around 3-5 C. I measured the weight of a new UN2037 Butane gas Cartridge at 325g then set about to boil the water in the Simplex No4 Kettle. Boil time with the old Coleman Stove was around 7-8 minutes, which is excellent considering the limited heat output of the old Coleman and the cheap butane gas cartridge. The Kettle will also indicate when the water has reached a rolling boil. A whistling sound that many younger folks may have not heard in their lifetimes. wink

Old Coleman Stove and Gasmate Adapter.

I measured the weight of the gas cartridge once more and subtracted it from the initial weight and found that boiling just over 1.1 litres of water consumed around 14 grams of fuel. Fuel efficiency for the Simplex Kettle was again excellent i.e a single UN2037 Butane gas Cartridge (220 gram net weight of fuel) should allow 17.6 litres of very cold water to the boil. This is getting near the same efficiency as an MSR reactor stove. Not bad for 100 year old technology. grin

The Simpex No4 is great durable piece of emergency kit, which should last a lifetime but has unfortunately has been relegated to my domestic backup gear list as my domestic stove is currently all electric and so is my current domestic Kettle (a more convenient faster boiling electric kettle).

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/11/09 05:17 PM)

#188064 - 11/11/09 06:37 PM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
The Kettle will also indicate when the water has reached a rolling boil. A whistling sound that many younger folks may have not heard in their lifetimes. wink

Don't underestimate my generation.

This is getting near the same efficiency as an MSR reactor stove. Not bad for 100 year old technology. grin

Sometimes old school is just as good as new school.

Jeanette Isabelle

#188067 - 11/11/09 06:54 PM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A whistling sound that many younger folks may have not heard in their lifetimes. wink

I heard that sound last night, shortly before the hot water was poured over some ball jar lids, which thereafter capped off some preserved fruit and went through a boiling water bath. Old School stuff, it could really pay to know how to do it.

#188601 - 11/19/09 12:22 AM Re: Kettles - I keep thinking I should get one [Re: Dan_McI]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
OK, going off thread a little bit.

The local re-use-it store had 4 cases of 1 quart jars with lids and rings back in August.
$5.00 for 18 jars in a case and the lids were still in the flat boxes inside the cases. These sealers had never been used.
They had a pressure canner for $10 dollars, (stainless steel) and the tools were in a box of kitchen junk which they threw in for free.
So 72 1_quart sealers and a canner for $30.00

Now I have a shelf full of canned stuff out of the garden and some that was picked wild.

USDA canning guide is here
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/publications_usda.html
Bernarden and Ball guides here
http://www.homecanning.com/

It was kind of fun to do.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 255 Guests and 97 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.