The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187312 - 11/03/09 05:10 PM Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT

We finally got our hands on one of the new second generation SPOT Satellite GPS Messengers. While we haven't been able to truly wring it out, a few days of playing with SPOT have given us a feel for both the improvements and other areas we weren't quite as impressed with. Check out our initial impression of SPOT 2.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=114
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#187339 - 11/03/09 09:02 PM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: Doug_Ritter]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I know that you don't enjoy being critical of SPOT, and it doesn't have any bearing that they have hardly been a fan of you. I think this report, very honestly put, will hopefully be taken as real critical feedback that is outside the institutionalization they have within their own company.

I think SPOT could be great. But it doesn't look like it yet from a tester like Doug.

#187341 - 11/03/09 09:05 PM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: comms]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I am a SPOT user and look forward to the review. Take the gloves off.

#187346 - 11/03/09 09:18 PM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: comms]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: comms
I know that you don't enjoy being critical of SPOT

Enjoyment or not has nothing to do with it. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

While I am appreciative of the fact that SPOT has numerous “saves” to its credit and, perhaps more importantly, has put a fairly capable distress alerting device in the hands of many who would otherwise never carry one, due to its value added capabilities, many issues remain unresolved from my perspective. Of course, the misuse of SPOT by users, the so-called "Yuppie 911" problem, has raised its own set of concerns and the backlash could seriously imperil lives in the end, but that’s a whole other issue for another day.

It's critical to me that consumers understand what they are getting, how it really works and whether they want to bet their life on something. Once they are educated, it's their decision

From my perspective, it's just another tool that has pros and cons for me to report on and give my opinions about, hopefully tot he end user's, the survivor's, benefit. What is done with what I say, well, I will admit it is appreciated when folks listen, be they consumers or manufacturers, but I hope it's because my comments make sense and are based on facts and experience.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (11/03/09 09:20 PM)
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#187361 - 11/03/09 11:21 PM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: Doug_Ritter]
NobodySpecial Offline

Not sure how much you can blame Spot for "Yuppie 911", the same problem applies to cell phones and presumably to PLBs once the $300 unit becomes widely available.
At least they offer insurance as part of the fee (perhaps they could include it in the fee) which is a good step.

#187362 - 11/03/09 11:29 PM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: NobodySpecial]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial
Not sure how much you can blame Spot for "Yuppie 911", the same problem applies to cell phones and presumably to PLBs once the $300 unit becomes widely available.
At least they offer insurance as part of the fee (perhaps they could include it in the fee) which is a good step.

The current issue almost exclusively is SPOT related. Unfortunately, bad reporting has resulted in the term PLB being used interchangeably for SPOT. Everything else pales in comparison. When the state SAR coordinators and the others involved at higher levels are talking about this, they are talking about SPOT. They have been dealing with cell phones for enough time now that they have a handle on that and being two-way communication, can weed out many of the questionable alerts. Not so with SPOT.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#187376 - 11/04/09 01:21 AM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: Doug_Ritter]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
It reads like a fair review to me.

If it isn't already a requirement, I'd suggest pushing the FCC to require SPOT to forward SOS calls to the appropriate authorities with or without subscription, just as they do with cell phones. If they're marketing this thing as a life saver - and they are - the life saving part shouldn't be turned off just because they didn't pay their bill.

My personal 2 cents on spot is that to make it useful, they need to make it capable of 2 way text. People would love that, especially the younger folks.

#187384 - 11/04/09 01:35 AM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: UpstateTom]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: UpstateTom
My personal 2 cents on spot is that to make it useful, they need to make it capable of 2 way text. People would love that, especially the younger folks.

Perhaps, but first Globalstar will have to get its duplex satellite system rebuilt, and that's not happening as fast as they hoped.

Then there are the significant technical, size and cost issues, all of which impact marketability.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#187397 - 11/04/09 02:59 AM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: Doug_Ritter]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
The current issue almost exclusively is SPOT related.

Is that just an availability thing?
When $200 PLBs are on sale at REI or (various deities forbid) they are made mandatory for national parks/inland boaters - will they have as many 'false' alarms?

#187399 - 11/04/09 02:59 AM Re: Initial Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: UpstateTom]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: UpstateTom
If it isn't already a requirement, I'd suggest pushing the FCC to require SPOT to forward SOS calls to the appropriate authorities with or without subscription

The problem then is that nobody would ever buy a subscription and SPOT would go bust. I would like to be treated the same with or without medical insurance but it ain't going to happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.