The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#187351 - 11/03/09 09:52 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
What you did worked, and it's hard to improve on that.

The use of pepper spray could be a lesson to the owner: doesn't that smell linger? Two large dogs reeking of pepper spray in the Cooper grin. Most people of that ilk only respond (learn) to what affects them personally.

Approaching dogs that don't seem to be attacking may respond to a low, firm 'Sit!' But if it doesn't work immediately, it usually doesn't work at all.

Dogs that have learned how to work together to hunt and one starts to circle behind you are an incredible danger. If I were armed, I would take them down ASAP. The one in front will try to grab the muzzle of a deer/sheep/goat/calf, the circling one goes in for the hamstring. I have often wondered when I hear of a child being bitten in the face if that wasn't the first instinct on how to take down prey.

I am wondering if firing a shot into the ground would be effective at all? Scare them off? Make them worse? But I do suspect that it might kick up the IQ of the owner a couple of points...

Sue

#187352 - 11/03/09 09:56 PM Re: Dogs: notifiy law enforcement [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Blast
. . .I don't think the dogs were just playing but they weren't in full-on attack mode, either. They scared the heck out of one of the students who stood there screaming in fear. Like someone else said, my stick wouldn't have done anything against two Rotts bent on eating me. . . .
Someone screaming in fear probably got the Rotties more excited than they would have been if your charge had been calm. Dogs respect calm; if you (or your charge) shows fear the dogs react to that energy. Best thing to do IMO would be to close ranks and ignore them -- maybe even to the point of turning your backs to the dogs. Cesar Millan is big on a calm assertive posture.
Quote:
Calm-assertive energy – This is the energy you project to show your dog you are the calm and assertive pack leader. Note: assertive does not mean angry or aggressive. Calm-assertive means always compassionate, but quietly in control.

Watch a true alpha dog interact with a group of dogs and it will tend to ignore the other dogs -- head up but turned away -- no fear, no threat, just disinterest. IME that attitude works for people interacting with dogs too.

#187357 - 11/03/09 10:56 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:

Part of me feels like I just got lucky. And to be honest, another part of me feels like I was being coward who was afraid to shoot.

It's been the first (and I pray last) time I had reason to draw since getting my CHL. It's been a real eye-opener.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#187359 - 11/03/09 10:59 PM Re: Dogs: notifiy law enforcement [Re: Russ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Best thing to do IMO would be to close ranks and ignore them -- maybe even to the point of turning your backs to the dogs.

D'oh! I remember that now from my paperboy days. I learned back then that you were supposed to walk away from the dog while watching it with peripheral vision. Dogs take a direct stare to be a challenge. Given the screams of the student, I think that wouldn't have worked.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#187360 - 11/03/09 11:04 PM Re: Dogs: notifiy law enforcement [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Owners need to control their dogs, teachers need to control their students -- bad student. . . smile

#187364 - 11/03/09 11:37 PM Re: Dogs: notifiy law enforcement [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Russ
Best thing to do IMO would be to close ranks and ignore them -- maybe even to the point of turning your backs to the dogs.

Unless I had Kevlar underwear on -- granny-size -- that would seem awfully risky.

;-)

#187369 - 11/03/09 11:56 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Susan]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: Susan

The use of pepper spray could be a lesson to the owner: doesn't that smell linger?

I am wondering if firing a shot into the ground would be effective at all?

Pepper spray does linger. I sprayed a Bichon that was going to town on a co-worker's ankle. The owner could not process my command to "control the dog," but understood "put the dog in the car." She promptly got in the car with the dog, petted it, told the dog it was OK, and wiped the tears from her own eyes, transferring the pepper she'd picked up while petting the dog...made for an interesting report.

Our department policy prohibits warning shots. "GET CONTROL OF YOUR DOG, BEFORE I SHOOT IT!" has been generally effective for me.

Anytime you can walk away from an encounter like this, without injury, it's a good thing.

#187372 - 11/04/09 12:23 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Blast]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
If your class remained safe, I'd call that an appropriate response.

Nicely done.

#187374 - 11/04/09 12:59 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: samhain]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
Sounds like a well handled situation to me.

Excellent plan on having the 5' stick with you, too.

#187378 - 11/04/09 01:28 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: UpstateTom]
sodak Offline
Addict

You did well. The spray might be worth looking in to.

You have more patience than I do...

In a perfect world, you would spray the owner and send the dogs to obedience school and another owner....

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.