Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#187073 - 10/31/09 05:18 PM Seat belt cutter
NAro Offline
Addict

This is an old topic, but fresh in my mind. I just had to review a police dash-cam video and audio and watched while a young woman burned to death in her wrecked car because she couldn't cut out of a jammed seatbelt. Police on the scene just couldn't get thru the flames to extricate her. The screams went on for a long, long, time. I can still hear them.

There are plenty of emergency cutters out on the market. This is similar to the one I've just placed...and for my loved ones. Please, folks!

http://saveyourlife.us/resqme.html?gclid=CLPap6Ly550CFRtY2godIBRyLg

#187077 - 10/31/09 06:13 PM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: NAro]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
That is a hideous way to die.

Will be interested to see how this discussion goes. I recently acquired and now carry in the car the CRKT MAK-1 and Extrik-8.

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=CL-2050&bhcd2=1257016044

MAK-1 is a rescue knife designed to meet the needs of a firefighter, made of tough 3Cr13 stainless steel at 54-56 Rc. It is truly a multiple-use tool. The chisel pry-bar tip is designed for opening doors, windows, and prying open locks and hasps. The 4-7/8" Razor-Sharp knife edge is a useful cutting tool. The handle features a deep finger choil and textured black G10 scales to give an excellent grip in wet conditions and when wearing gloves. The end of the handle has a stepped groove, which can be used as a window glass twist breaker and battery wrench. At the butt is a carbide tip breaker for instant shattering of windowpanes. An orange reflector lanyard is designed to keep the MAK-1 easily in sight. Overall length is 10". Weighs 10.0 oz

Extrik-8-R is a lightweight skeletonized seat belt cutter. It is also an oxygen bottle wrench and has two emergency screwdriver tips, blade and basic Phillips. It comes complete with an orange reflector fob and Kydex® sheath. Overall length is 4-1/8" and weighs 1.5 oz.

Attachments
mak-1.jpg

#187078 - 10/31/09 06:40 PM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I started keeping a Spyderco Rescue knife and a Benchmade Rescue hook in the truck console after an accident here that had a child trapped in back because no one had a knife to cut the seat belt. He was there quite a while, fortunately no fire.

#187082 - 10/31/09 07:18 PM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: Russ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Yes- that is a bad way to go.

If the flames were already so bad that policemen could not get to the car, then the chances are that the woman inside would have had serious or fatal burns - even if she escaped. But still - you'd always want to see someone rescued if possible.

You need a cutting tool, and also an impact tool as well.

Any pocket knife with a reasonable blade would be fine for cutting a seat belt. Same goes for a tough pair of kitchen scissors, or paramedic shears. A rescue knife is also good for the job.

The impact tool is needed for breaking open the windows (drivers side or passenger side) in the event that the vehicle gets submerged. Just saw a police rescue on TV where a family in an SUV went into flood waters. Not good if you can't break windows and get out fast.

Thanks for posting this article.
It reminded me that I need to get these tools into my wife's van. She and the kids use it all the time.

Pete

#187086 - 10/31/09 07:29 PM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: Pete]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I bought the MAK-1 with the intention of using it to help others. It nows occurs to me that I'm going to put a Ritter MK-5 in my driver door storage area.

Have to figure a way to secure it there in the event of a crash.

A strip of duct tape?

#187104 - 10/31/09 11:06 PM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: Dagny]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My wife & I carry Res-Q-Me's on our keychains.

Recently I added one to my tractor keychain figuring that if my tractor ever rolled I may need to cut my seatbelt - if I end up hanging on my side.

I also carry the larger Life Hammer in my console.

#187105 - 11/01/09 12:06 AM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: KenK]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I also carry the ResQme on my keychain and LifeHammers in each car. I also have the ResQme on my carry bag and my dog walking EDC as I like to have them around even when I'm a pedestrian as you never know when you'll happen upon an accident.

#187106 - 11/01/09 12:07 AM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: KenK]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Martor SOS-Cutter No. 537
http://www.martor.com/first-aid-cutters.html

Also worth looking at:
Mini-Salvex No. 536
Ruck-Zuck No. 55337

Martor is available from Germany or USA
The link I gave above is German, here is the one for USA
http://www.martorusa.com/

#187115 - 11/01/09 03:39 AM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: scafool]
fasteer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: away
I hung a ResQme on the rearview mirror in the car & showed the wife how to use it.
I have another one on a keychain with a minimag solitaire & a Fox-40 Micro. Carried this overseas with me, no issues with airlines so far. I like the look of the Extrik-8R, but might get too much attention at airport security.

In the car, we also have a cheap flashlight rescue tool similar to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BP...p;creative=9325
Figure it only needs to work once...

#187371 - 11/04/09 12:17 AM Re: Seat belt cutter [Re: fasteer]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hanging things on vehicle mirrors can prove counterproductive. In several accidents that I've seen, the mirror was not on the windshield after the accident. Either something hit the mirror and it snapped off and/or the windshield had broken to the point that the mirror had nothing to stay attached to. In either event, anything attached to the mirror would most likely disappear in the resulting confusion.

Some folks have talked about placing them in glove boxes, ash trays, hanging on gear shifts and the like...I suspect that these places and methods will also be subject to accident issues and you may not find it where you left it.

No method of placing it is perfect. For me, the ResQMe lives on my neck lanyard along with a Fox40 whistle and an ARC AA flashlight. This method may or may not work for others. I thought about pockets,tyrapped to seat belts etc. and was unable to find a place that seemed like it would be easy to find when hanging upside down in the vehicle with glass all around...and yes, I once found myself in exactly that situation.

I'm certainly open to suggestions about other locations and your mileage may vary using a neck lanyard.

Regards,
Comanche7

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 161 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.