The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#187265 - 11/03/09 07:42 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Tom_L]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
My verdict is that you handled that situation extremely well.

From your description I would also have called in the cavalry (police). The lack of control and judgment that woman demonstrated is dangerous, especially with that kind of dogs. To me, it sounds like an accident waiting to happen. You calling the authorities upon her could prevent her dogs from attacking someone less prepared.

#187270 - 11/03/09 11:49 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Scary. Ditto on the pepper spray. Perhaps even bear spray, which you can carry on your hip belt if carrying a pack.

That stupid woman. There are a few women and men around here with Rotties and Pits -- one or more -- who look they wouldn't have a prayer of holding onto their leashes if they lunged. And there's a jerk in our local park that lets his two big dogs off leash despite multiple previous attacks and at least one ticket. That owner stays clear of me since I yelled at him and prominently display my pepper spray ever since (I carry to protect my dog from off-leash dogs, his in particular).

Is that some place the woman may frequent? In which case, I'd consider going back with a camera to document the dogs being off-leash as well as her license plate. The police might at least send her a letter saying they've had a complaint and reminding her of her criminal liability.

She keeps letting those dogs run and someone is going to sue her rear off.

#187272 - 11/03/09 11:56 AM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
LoneWolf Offline

Just to echo MostlyHarmless, I think you handled it extremely well.

I too would have called the police. I used to be guilty of letting my German Shepherd run off lead, but he was obedience trained and all I had to do was call him and he would come running. He was also never out of my sight when off lead. In my opinion, this lady was irresponsible in letting them out of her sight. Dogs as big and powerful as a Rott. can hurt you badly. Very well trained ones would not have come after you like that (at least I wouldn't think so).

LW

#187274 - 11/03/09 12:27 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: LoneWolf]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
My hat is off to you for exhibiting presence of mind, coolness under pressure, and reasoned action. I hope others follow your example. I agree with Desperado that the addition of pepper spray to your arsenal would have given you an additional cog on the force continuum if that had been necessary. As a dog lover, I applaud you for electing to only use the force that was necessary in the situation.

I am quite angry at the dog owner for putting you in this position. Owning a big dog carries responsibility and if you are not willing to accept that responsibility, give the dog to someone who will. Additionally, it was obvious to anyone (including the owner) that her dogs were not properly socialized and potentially aggressive. Possessing such knowledge, she was criminally negligent in taking the dogs out in public without proper control. People like that give responsible owners a bad name. I pray that this incident was a wake-up call for her.

#187279 - 11/03/09 01:35 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: celler]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Originally Posted By: celler
I pray that this incident was a wake-up call for her.

Me too... but I seriously doubt that it was.

There is a beautiful park near my home, but it's hard to enjoy it because of all the idiots and their dogs.
I have witnessed so many bad situations involving dogs, that I am uncomfortable around ANY dogs in public places.

Blast, it sounds like you handled the situation in the best way. I believe you showed the proper restraint that a responsible gun owner should; but I am glad that you had that option (gun) available.

#187282 - 11/03/09 01:47 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Lon]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Lon
Originally Posted By: celler
I pray that this incident was a wake-up call for her.

There is a beautiful park near my home, but it's hard to enjoy it because of all the idiots and their dogs.

Complain to the police and keep complaining. Get your neighbors to complain (give them the contact numbers) and bring your local elected officials into it.

Dogs should only be off-leash in designated off-leash areas, preferably fenced, or in private yards. It's extremely rude otherwise, and dangerous for the dogs and people. Many people are scared of dogs, some for good reason, and it's terrorizing them to have dogs running around loose. People can't tell just by looking at a loose dog, how well-trained and socialized they are.

Responsible dog owners, like myself, resent the self-centered owners who think they can do as they please in public areas. They are a threat to my dog (hence the ever-present pepper spray -- a non-lethal means of defense).

#187287 - 11/03/09 02:38 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Dagny]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Well-handled for sure. With several "layers" of security, you have the option of escalating your response to match the degree of danger that the scenario presents. I would definitely add pepper spray to your EDC. You would have been justified in using it, and the vegans would not have been upset. (Tell them the pepper spray is delicious with tofu and sprouts) Also, when her dogs come back whimpering, maybe the idiot owner will learn to keep them on a leash.

Question...if the dogs had attacked you or someone else...what is your next move? I would think you'd have to shoot.

Edited by el_diabl0 (11/03/09 02:40 PM)

#187288 - 11/03/09 02:39 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Dagny]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
you did all the right things.

Next time whip out your cell phone if you can and get pics, especially of the owner.
Carry bear spray (pepper spray) with your next class ( get the holster to hang it on your belt, not the key chain version..) and hose the hell out of them.
She'll probably be facing a heck of a vet bill if you did that.

Edited by DannyL (11/03/09 02:39 PM)

#187289 - 11/03/09 03:01 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: DannyL]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Blast - smart move using a stick to deter the dogs. Sticks are also quite useful for deterring annoying and aggressive animals like monkeys in some other parts of the world.

You did a very good job keeping cool - two aggressive Rottweilers is not an easy situation to handle.

As far as shooting the dogs goes ... I'm not sure if your vegans would have cringed or cheered. How do you know that they would not have broken into applause. :-)

Pete

#187293 - 11/03/09 03:12 PM Re: Dogs: the proper response? [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Thanks all. My first thought was "shoot the dogs". They were big and very mean-sounding/acting. My wife was attacked by a loose dog years ago and has been terrified of them ever since. This means I can't have a dog, only nice, safe cats. shocked This makes me especially sensitive to loose dogs. Doubly so if my kids are present. Luckily they weren't there on Sunday.

The pepper spray is a good idea, it gives me an option between stick and bullet and also is less likely to upset my students. REI has some nice bear sprays and I have a coupon...

Sidenote: a Rottweiler can shrug off a strong blow to the head.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.