Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#186916 - 10/30/09 10:29 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
how is the best way to add medications without crushing them? I was thinking of using an additional plastic vial, like the one for the sewing needle and safety pins.

I use one of those plastic orange 'match' containers. They are sturdy, and most importantly, have a plastic/rubber seal and a screw top. This keeps the top on--I've used 'pill boxes' only to have the tops pop open. Also, the 'pill boxes' don't keep out humidity/moisture, which causes meds to become useless in short order.

The only problem is that unless filled tightly, the pills will bounce around and eventually you get a fine powder off the pills. If this is a problem, try stuffing it tight with a cotton ball to keep everything snug. It also will double as tinder.

#186918 - 10/30/09 10:49 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: bws48]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
If it is an Rx medication, you better have a copy of the 'script or the label with you. If you don't, it can be difficult to explain to the LEO that has had legal reason to search you. Ask my wife, she experienced this herself in Dallas.

Luckily, the fine officer went along with a cell phone call to me. I verified the script and offered to come to the scene with it. (pill case fell out of purse in front of officer at traffic stop.) Also blew any chance DW had at hiding the ticket from me......

RIP OBG

#186952 - 10/30/09 04:22 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Desperado]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I used the small zip-lock bag used to hold the tinder, filled one row of tablets, rolled it up to squeeze as much of the air out as possible, placed the rolled-up zip-lock bag in a plastic vial from a used-up Ultralight first aid kit, printed out the name and milligrams of the medication, trimmed it to the size of the text and placed it in the vial with the print visible. With three layers of protection, zip-lock, plastic vial and Pocket Survival Pack, the medication should be safe.

Jeanette Isabelle

#187230 - 11/02/09 08:57 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I used the small zip-lock bag used to hold the tinder, filled one row of tablets, rolled it up to squeeze as much of the air out as possible, placed the rolled-up zip-lock bag in a plastic vial from a used-up Ultralight first aid kit, printed out the name and milligrams of the medication, trimmed it to the size of the text and placed it in the vial with the print visible. With three layers of protection, zip-lock, plastic vial and Pocket Survival Pack, the medication should be safe.

I transfered the pills over to a nickel-plated brass pill fob which I bought today at the apothecary. I also bought a blank emergency alert bracelet which I will have engraved tomorrow.

Jeanette Isabelle

#187236 - 11/02/09 11:45 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Jeanette

Exactly what situation do you have in mind when you think about urban survival?

How big of a town or city do you live in?

Do you expect your location to be affected by a major natural disaster, or is this more like a personal survival situation?

Pete
(not "Paramedic Pete" ... but the other Pete)

#187241 - 11/03/09 02:06 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Pete]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Pete
Jeanette

Exactly what situation do you have in mind when you think about urban survival?

How big of a town or city do you live in?

I want to be prepared for all reasonable situations including, but not limited to, widespread power outages, man made disasters, restricted transportation, unable to return home and unavoidable loss of some EDC items. I live in The Metroplex, the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States.

Originally Posted By: Pete
Do you expect your location to be affected by a major natural disaster, or is this more like a personal survival situation?

Both.

Jeanette Isabelle

#187251 - 11/03/09 04:19 AM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: sybert777
im using a phone to get on ETS and i cant post a reply. but depending on the size of the pills, IMS plus has a good aluminum pill container. very compact! please post this since i cant. and if you can, include a link! thank you!

There is no link in the private message you asked me to post in the forum; the nitroglycerine pill fob I bought is the right size for my PRN medication.

Jeanette Isabelle

#187281 - 11/03/09 01:40 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I am not convinced of the efficacy of a pocket kit for urban preparedness. I carry a backpack daily to work and all of my vehicles have one as well. I also wear cargo pants so pockets aren't a problem.

One thing that I am never without, especially in a city, is a handgun. I realize that it won't fit in your pocket kit, but realistically in an emergency it could be critical to getting you home safe. It may not be an option for someone in Wash DC, but in DFW you would have that option.

Oh, as for your thimble problem, my wife likes to use these:

They take up almost no space and work pretty well.

Enjoy!

Greg

#187291 - 11/03/09 03:07 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Jeanette

I'm with Greg on this one.
I don't think a pocket kit is the answer.

You need at least a small backpack for your urban survival needs. Some items like a spare pair of sneakers, a warm fleece jacket, a quart of water, a flashlight (w. batteries), and some energy bars are bulky. But they are necessary. Some warm gloves and a beret (or a fleece hat) are also good ideas.

I suggest that you expand the volume of your gear a little bit.

Pete

Edited by Pete (11/03/09 03:08 PM)

#187317 - 11/03/09 06:57 PM Re: Urban Survival Kit [Re: Pete]
Carpal Tunnel

Backpacks are not fashionable. Furthermore, in an emergency situation, one needs to blend in. I looked at alternatives in the usual places and I came across what could be an acceptable alternative, a weekender bag such as this:

http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=39765&vid=1&pid=700095&scid=700095002

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.