The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#187301 - 11/03/09 03:31 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: KG2V]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
As I am past 35 I can identify and use the tools shown, minus the slide rule. Never learned.

I can land nav with the best of them. When I went into the Army I could read a map, make a map, knew my pace count and could use a compass. Now they start map classes with the memnoic "Never Eat Soggy Weenies" - north east south west - to get the rudiments of a map into the heads of the trainees. Scarey huh?

I knew all that camping and hiking with the Scouts would help me sometime.

#187307 - 11/03/09 04:27 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
Can people even do long division these days?

Depends on their age. Anyone under the age of 35 would struggle or look at you blankly and ask what's long division.

I object. I am twenty-three-years-old and I can do long division.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
They would even look at you more blankly if you asked them about fractional adddition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/number/fractions2hirev1.shtml

I was able to get seven of the nine questions right, which would have given me a grade of 78, by doing the math in my head. I did not use a pencil and paper. I wanted to illustrate that it can be done in one's head. However, I had to use a pencil and paper to convert a fraction into decimal, 7/9 is .777 which, when rounded off, gives me the passing grade of 78.

Had I used a pencil and parer in the quiz, I may have gotten eight of the nine questions right. I missed the second question because I did not pay attention. I added instead of subtracted.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (11/03/09 07:52 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#187309 - 11/03/09 04:46 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
It's been a while since I've used some of the skills, so some would be a bit rusty.

I was in school in the 70's, so my basic math in the early 70's didn't require the slide rule, and by the time I was getting to the more complex math in the late-70's, affordable calculators were available, so I missed the slide rule training, though my dad would break out his Versalog from time to time.

This weekend, I'm going to take a brush up with my slide rule, and expose my son to the slide rule. He's said that he can use all of the items listed except the slide rule.

#187310 - 11/03/09 04:47 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: JBMat]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: JBMat
As I am past 35 I can identify and use the tools shown, minus the slide rule. Never learned.

Dad showed me once how to use a slide rule and I did practice with his a couple of times. I don't know if I could do it today.

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Now they start map classes with the memnoic "Never Eat Soggy Weenies" - north east south west - to get the rudiments of a map into the heads of the trainees.

The one I learned in fifth grade is, "Never Eat Sour Watermelons."

Jeanette Isabelle

#187321 - 11/03/09 07:34 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
The little parallel roller thing in the center of the picture is great for penciling in UTM grids onto your USGS quads :-)

And the dividers are for more precisely plotting the points...

Ya, I know how to use all that stuff. And I have used all but the slipstick recently.

Shouldn't there be an E6B "computer" in that picture?

#187327 - 11/03/09 07:52 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: unimogbert]
Xterior Offline

I've bought a sliderule just to get the hang of it. Should practice more with it though. fractional adddition, subtraction, multiplication, division and long division is not realy a problem.

Then again, my age 37 has something to do with that. That and the fact that my profession is in the ICT, so .... I just don't trust electronics. wink

#187332 - 11/03/09 08:17 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Is that slide rule that's in the picture, or is it a substitute for a set of parallel rules? Seems to look like something I've seen that would be the latter.

I am a user of triangles when it comes to chart plotting, although I've used parallel rules any number of times. I think anyone who relies on navigation should be able to use both.

I will admit to being shaky with the log tables. I was taught how to use them, then quite promptly allowed to forget. Other set of tables I have no problems with using.

We've got lots of skills that are lost among the general population, in a lot of areas. I know few women today who can knit. While Mom has knitted, she has not in more than 20 years, but she was no match for anyone in her mother's generation. There are examples of the traditional skills practiced by both men and women disappearing, and, FWIW, I have no qualms about someone crossing gender lines in this regard.

#187338 - 11/03/09 08:56 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: Dan_McI]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
Is that slide rule that's in the picture, or is it a substitute for a set of parallel rules? . . .
Quote:
Tags in this image: slide rule, dictionary, grid paper, compass, map, pencil, pens, ruler
The ruler looks like it has a roller built in so that it can hold a bearing from the compass rose to wherever you need to draw a course (vice versa); so that would be a substitute for parallels.

I've got all that here, except that the parallels have been replaced by an Air Navigation Plotter which is a protractor designed for navigation.

#187345 - 11/03/09 09:18 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: Tirec]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I recognize the rolling ruler in the upper right corner, I had one years ago. I see someone else mentioned it as well. It wasn't a fancy navigation plotting ruler, it was called the rolling ruler, one of those as seen on TV things. it could draw parallel lines and circles and such.

Edited by Eugene (11/03/09 09:21 PM)

#187356 - 11/03/09 10:39 PM Re: Lost Skills [Re: Tirec]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I've got to admit that my "old school" math skills are in a pitiful state... most likely because it's been a long time since I've had the need for them.
And, thinking back, I was never very "focused" in math classes at school... and, I've never used a Slide Rule in my life.

Get past anything really basic, and I am totally "Calculator Dependant" blush... I should probably spend some time re-learning some math skills.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 458 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.