Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187147 - 11/01/09 06:12 PM Ethnic food markets for long term food staples?
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Good morning all, hope everyone is recovering well from the candy overload from yesterday!
I live in a small ex-military community, and as a result, we have a large Korean population. There are 3 korean markets, and two korean restaurants in my town. I have shopped at the markets a couple times, and I was just eating a version of their ramen, and I thought to myself "this would be a GREAT place to stock up on on storage food!" There are a lot of dried foods, spices, crackers, cookies, all kinds of stuff, that is intended for long term storage. Some of my purchases have been culinary adventures, as I can neither speak, or, more importantly, read korean. One of the stores even sells basic goods like blankets, pillows, towels, and daypacks.
I got to wondering if other ETS members have looked into these little gems within their community for long term foods? The prices are cheap, the choices are wide, the flavor is outstanding, and I get to try new & interesting foods all the time. Has anyone else out there visited ethnic markets for their shopping needs, and had similar positive experiences?

#187150 - 11/01/09 07:05 PM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: oldsoldier]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Sure, it's a great way to get real, natural food at a decent price. Personally I'm a major fan of Middle Eastern cuisine but these days we are blessed with such abundance and diversity you can get just about any kind of food imported from the remotest corners of the Earth.

Also, I very much agree with your observations re: long term storage foods. There are usually plenty of choices at various ethnic markets and they tend to be much better (tastier as well as healthier) than canned or dehydrated rations.

#187152 - 11/01/09 07:06 PM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: oldsoldier]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Yup--Minneapolis has quite a few like that from Russian,good for dry meats,to Asian,good for dry noodle sort of things..
one tip---Mango Tang--

#187156 - 11/01/09 07:21 PM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I've shopped ethnic stores -- always interesting and with good result -- but never had an epipheny related to preparedness.

There is much to be said for variety in the pantry, under any circumstance.

#187158 - 11/01/09 09:00 PM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: oldsoldier]
LED Offline
Veteran

Coffee/tea biscuits like "Ulker" brand are out of this world. For some reason you can only find them in ethnic stores.

#187166 - 11/02/09 01:00 AM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: oldsoldier]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
There are a lot of dried foods, spices, crackers, cookies, all kinds of stuff, that is intended for long term storage.

Not just long storage, but long storage with no refrigeration.
The only real caution is that some of the stuff needs special techniques to cook.

I usually find there are a lot of things that are very cheap and store forever but take a day or more to prepare. I don't mean you work at it for a day, just that you start to prepare it a day ahead of time.
It might be as simple as a quick soaking to rinse excess salt, a day of soaking to get rid of more salt and rehydrate the product or it might be a day of slow simmer on the back of a stove to tenderize it enough to eat.
Kind of like cooking dried beans.
Of course this is fine if you are not going anywhere in a hurry anyhow.

#187169 - 11/02/09 01:21 AM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: scafool]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Sca, that is true-a lot of their dried veggies you need to soak. I had primarily looked at their dried soups & things though-better tasting & more nutritious ramen, as it were. And their cracker selections, as well as their sweets-they have some amazing confectionaries at the local store!
I just think its a nice mix of longer term food staples-beats mac & cheese, which I can take or leave.

#187179 - 11/02/09 01:43 PM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: oldsoldier]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Although not everyone has a store in their area, any place that serves the Amish also will have a lot of items that (duh :-) do not require refrigeration.

I always end up spending a lot of money on storable foods when I'm in there.

#187181 - 11/02/09 02:17 PM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: oldsoldier]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is a German company that is producing authentic long shelf life American style ethnic food but the product is very expensive. wink grin

A review is available here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30c6BiexSiw&feature=related

#187182 - 11/02/09 02:28 PM Re: Ethnic food markets for long term food staples? [Re: jaywalke]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I am going to live up to my signature for a moment.

I have a hard time getting the tone right in print. I hope the comment about long prep times was not taken wrong. In an awful lot of situations you have a lot of time available and not a lot of things to do.
Sometimes a "slowfood" meal offers a relief from boredom and worry because it at least gives you something to do while you wait out the emergency.

One of the other things I lament with our modern and efficient homes is the loss of our root cellars and other normal storage places.
We don't usually have the places our grandparents would have stored enough veggies to get through the winter or the dry lofts they would have stored dried foods in.
Most of us have replaced those storage options with a small refrigerator and a quick trip to the store to restock it every few days.
Jaywalker's comment about the Amish reminds me about how the older farmers used to spend a lot of time every year canning and preserving. They usually made one trip to town a month and expected to have enough supplies in their kitchen pantry to last at least 2 months in case they couldn't get to town.
We don't live like that any more, and while I do value refrigerators and freezers they do have a cost in addition to the hydro to run them.
We no longer use the alternate food storage methods.
I can remember my parents filling crocks with cabbage to ferment into sauerkraut. Bags of onions hanging in the cellar along with bushels of apples and sacks of potatoes.
We don't place rows of pickles in jars on shelves behind the basement stairs or have bins full of winter squash available anymore.
In the early part of the last century even houses in town usually had these storage places available. From about the middle of the last century these storage options disappeared.
Now you don't see those storage places even in rural homes.

That is about the end of my wandering thoughts about it.
I only add that there are a lot of storage methods we no longer even think about. They include fermented foods too.
Things like fermented pickles, long storing root crops, sugar or salt curing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.