The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#187180 - 11/02/09 01:56 PM Re: Car Kit for teenager [Re: Nicodemus]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
Before going with any kind of knife, make sure none of them go to any schools where there are rules forbidding those items on campus. We've seen several cases this year of students suspended for such things.

This is definitely the wave of the future. Pocket knives have gone from a tool to a weapon. Unfortunate.

I would suggest a pair of EMT shears instead of a pocket knife, they can cut almost anything and don't generally have sharp points to be considered a weapon.

#187195 - 11/02/09 04:58 PM Re: Car Kit for teenager [Re: LeeG]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'd suggest you add to the kit: a poncho, tinder, cooking vessel even if its just a can, water purification at some level, basic SA type knife. And for the cars: reflector triangles, "HELP" sign, jumper cables, small shovel, sand or carpet remnant, small fire extingusher, duct tape/bailing wire and a Life Hammer or Rescu-Me.

#187196 - 11/02/09 05:12 PM Re: Car Kit for teenager [Re: acropolis5]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
LeeG - I'm rereading the thread and looking at your location and relationship to these kids and wondering if perhaps you're being taken advantage of. Or are being given an assignment to get you to stop talking about preparedness or something.

Seems to me that their parents should be doing this since they'd know how much blanket or sleeping bag would be enough for the location. And they'd know whether the kid would appreciate and use the kit or would just chuck it out of the way. And they'd know how much would fit in the particular car.

I've got relatives (cousin) who've been given several completely reliable used cars over the years by their grandfather and she immediately turned them into junk. And I've got neices who stand to inherit a great deal of money from their grandparents but who can't be enticed into paying any attention at all to the concepts of money management so they have no concept of what a boost they will get.

Sometimes the gift of preparation goes unappreciated.
Don't be surprised if this is the case. I hope it's not.

On the other hand, if you can spend time with the kids in a positive way showing them what's there and practicing using it, there can be a good role model / bonding experience. Hope so.

#187201 - 11/02/09 05:33 PM Re: Car Kit for teenager [Re: Eric]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
yup. First aid kit, couple of flashlights, jumper cables.

for winter, some sand or whatever works for traction in your area. Instead of a shovel, I prefer a small garden hoe for moving snow from around tires and such.

Throw a deck of cards in there.

#187217 - 11/02/09 06:53 PM Re: Car Kit for teenager [Re: Nicodemus]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
Before going with any kind of knife, make sure none of them go to any schools where there are rules forbidding those items on campus. We've seen several cases this year of students suspended for such things.

Roger that!

Since my son uses my car on occasion to go to school functions, I put the knives, first aid meds, and other things that could cause him grief with some idiot school admin in a locked Pelican case. A key stashed in the glove box and another in an out of sight place.

I told him if they ever search the car, not to open the case. If they insist then to refuse and call me and not to tell them about any keys. Just say, "It's my Dad's, you want to see inside, call him."

The case is also secured inside with a bicycle cable so they can't remove it from the car without the key.

It a shame to have to go to such lengths to prevent your child from being victimized by school officials.

Tom A.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.