Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#186966 - 10/30/09 04:47 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: 7point82]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Also something to think about is to be sure that you have medical supplies for your pooches. I know your Vet can help you find the right materials and techniques for the puppies.

Just an idea.. and I am sure that I am preaching to the chior

#186970 - 10/30/09 04:54 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: Dagny]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Dagny

A friend of mine has a Chi-Poo, she is fierce!

At the least, they are noisy security alarms.

That alone is worth a liver treat.

You aren't kidding! I call the male dog "Radar" (think M.A.S.H.) about half the time because he hears so well. No one gets onto the property without him knowing it.

Here's Lucy full grown. (Excuse the quality; the picture is off my phone.)

Edited by 7point82 (10/30/09 05:03 PM)
Edit Reason: added pic

#186976 - 10/30/09 05:23 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: 7point82]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
I did this the same way -- mark the date on a new bag upon opening and then note the date when it empty.

We feed kibbles + canned, but the math for that was easy since each dog gets a can a day (1 can split in half, morning and night).

For us, with two large dogs, that means 30 lbs bag = 20 days, in which time they will need 40 cans of food.

Our approach to this is simply to buy extra food and perform stock rotation.

I tend to shoot for 30 days, so I have 9 cases of canned food in the garage, and three bags of dry food in the house (don't want it to collect moisture) in addition to what is in the pantry.

As soon as we take food from those stockpiles we replace it.

Also as suggested above, I compute the water usage the same way we do for humans.

In terms of first aid, I make sure the normal kits cover the dogs as well. For first aid, I tend to use a decentralized approach, with a fairly full kit in numerous locations which allows a kit to always be close and increases the amount of supplies overall.

-john

Edited by JohnN (10/30/09 05:26 PM)

#186977 - 10/30/09 05:26 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: JohnN]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: JohnN
In terms of first aid, I make sure the normal kits cover the dogs as well. For first aid, I tend to use a decentralized approach, with a fairly full kit in numerous locations which allows a kit to always be close and increases the amount of supplies overall. -john

What do you include in your first aid kits for the dogs in addition to the human stuff?

#186978 - 10/30/09 05:30 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: dweste]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dweste

What do you include in your first aid kits for the dogs in addition to the human stuff?

Nothing really. I just tried to make sure the kits were comprehensive enough and had adequate supplies.

For example, each kit has one or two trama bandages (4x6), lots of 4x4s or 4x6s, lots of tape -- at least two rolls of medical tape, plus a small roll of duct tape (the mini rolls for hiking).

-john

#186979 - 10/30/09 05:31 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: JohnN]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: JohnN
I did this the same way -- mark the date on a new bag upon opening and then note the date when it empty.

We feed kibbles + canned, but the math for that was easy since each dog gets a can a day (1 can split in half, morning and night).

For us, with two large dogs, that means 30 lbs bag = 20 days, in which time they will need 40 cans of food.

Our approach to this is simply to buy extra food and perform stock rotation.

I tend to shoot for 30 days, so I have 9 cases of canned food in the garage, and three bags of dry food in the house (don't want it to collect moisture) in addition to what is in the pantry.

As soon as we take food from those stockpiles we replace it.

Also as suggested above, I compute the water usage the same way we do for humans.

In terms of first aid, I make sure the normal kits cover the dogs as well. For first aid, I tend to use a decentralized approach, with a fairly full kit in numerous locations which allows a kit to always be close and increases the amount of supplies overall.

-john

Good looking dogs. I've had a couple of Rotts and they were simply great dogs. I would LOVE to have another one some day. One of my kids is allergic to just about everything on four legs and it seems like the bigger the critter is the bigger his problems are.

#186980 - 10/30/09 05:31 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: Tyber]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Tyber
Also something to think about is to be sure that you have medical supplies for your pooches. I know your Vet can help you find the right materials and techniques for the puppies.

Just an idea.. and I am sure that I am preaching to the chior

Had that conversation with my vet this summer. Still have to consolidate everything.

Drs. Foster and Smith has quite a bit of pet preparedness info

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/search?af=type%3Aproduct&view=grid&w=preparedness&visitorID=&cartcount=0&wishcount=0&subtotal=0.00

Pet owners should also have a health record from their vet. I keep a couple copies in my camping gear and the car because most campground systems stipulate proof of rabies (though I've never been asked to prove it).

In the event of evacuation, even if you find a dog-friendly shelter, you had better be prepared to prove that your dogs are current on their rabies vaccination (or titering).

#186982 - 10/30/09 05:34 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Whether it's in your First Aid kit or somewhere else, it'd be a good idea to have booties for your pups. At least a couple booties.

In case they injure a paw and to prevent injury to paws.

Can't say my pup is enthusiastic about booties but she's worn them.

Also, a muzzle. If your dog is in pain, you don't want to also deal with them biting you as you try to treat it.

A friend's dog recently broke her leg and chomped on my friend's husband when he went to pick her up.

Edited by Dagny (10/30/09 05:44 PM)

#186984 - 10/30/09 05:42 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

On First Aid, it's good to have Benadryl for your pet.

One miligram per two pounds of dog is the correct dosage, according to my vet.

I also have anti-itch products and antibiotic ointments. She has a thick coat which will be a problem for her skin if she's damp for an extended period of time.

And obviously if the pup is on some medication (such as insulin) that's something that should be kept in supply.

There are commercial pet First Aid kits. I have a Dog First Aid book in the car.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2125

#186985 - 10/30/09 05:43 PM Re: Pet Preparedness [Re: 7point82]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: 7point82

Good looking dogs. I've had a couple of Rotts and they were simply great dogs. I would LOVE to have another one some day. One of my kids is allergic to just about everything on four legs and it seems like the bigger the critter is the bigger his problems are.

Thanks. Maggie was a rescue. You've probably heard of embedded collar cases, but Maggie had what looked like a severe embedded harness *and* embedded collar. She was found dragging a chain and pregnant. She has multiple severe scars all the way around her neck, her chest, shoulders, back, etc.

Despite all that she just licked up the shelter people while they were cleaning up her wounds (ouch) and remains a very calm, easygoing dog to this day.

Amazing disposition.

-john

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.