Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#186904 - 10/30/09 04:51 AM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Russ
Being in California I'm vain enough to know that everyone realizes SOCAL is SOuthern CALifornia and that it would be totally redundant and unnecessary to spell it out wink

Damn straigh! Former SoCal boy myself. Really, it should be its own state, since it's so different than NorCal.

Why "The VA?" Kind of a medical joke - VA is Virginia, but "The VA" is the Veterans Administration, ie, the VA hospital (usually a location with a VA hospital only has one, and it's called The VA).

Metroplex was, I thought, a football stadium or something.

#186915 - 10/30/09 09:24 AM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: MDinana]
fasteer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: away
yeah, SoCal is in enough movies that even I get it and I'm somewhat acronym-challenged.

Think I read somewhere that American state abreviations are the 1st & last letters of the word, but not always (WA).
WA is also the acronym for Western Australia and Warrington, UK.
Are most ETS posters USA based? Has there been a poll?

#186922 - 10/30/09 12:42 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: fasteer]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I think "NYC" is fairly obvious, without saying "NYC, NY"
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#186927 - 10/30/09 01:27 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: scafool]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Northeastern Ontario, Canada, I think that shows where I am pretty good. If you have ever seen the Survivorman "Winter Plane Crash" or "Lost Hunters" episodes then you have seen the country I live/work/play in.

Hey Scafool, I see you are now in Muskoka, I am going down that way tomorrow for a week of deer hunting at my bush camp (we have few deer here).

Mike

#186929 - 10/30/09 01:39 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: SwampDonkey]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas

RIP OBG

#186941 - 10/30/09 03:14 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Saying I live in The Metroplex is what I accustomed to and everybody in Texas knows what The Metroplex is. After all, the term was coined for this metropolitan area by an ad agency for the NTC (North Texas Commission).

For clarification I'm changing it to Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

Jeanette Isabelle

#186947 - 10/30/09 04:11 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
the term was coined for this metropolitan area by an ad agency for the NTC (North Texas Commission).

Jeanette Isabelle

I wonder how much the ad agency billed for coining the term "Metroplex."

Sounds like a movie theater.

#186955 - 10/30/09 04:29 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Saying I live in The Metroplex is what I accustomed to and everybody in Texas knows what The Metroplex is. After all, the term was coined for this metropolitan area by an ad agency for the NTC (North Texas Commission).

Jeanette Isabelle

If it's any consolation, at least one person here knew what you meant. I guess the term only works within about 500 miles of DFW. grin

#186956 - 10/30/09 04:33 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: Dagny]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dagny

I wonder how much the ad agency billed for coining the term "Metroplex."

Sounds like a movie theater.

I don't know as this was done in 1972. The term originated from an ad agency's combination of the terms "metropolitan" and "complex."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroplex

Jeanette Isabelle

#186959 - 10/30/09 04:41 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: fasteer]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"W.WA is Western Washington...? the state or the city?"

Washington D.C. is usually just D.C.

WA is the official state abbreviation.

Sue

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.