Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#186961 - 10/30/09 04:43 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: NightHiker]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
LOL! That's what I though too, but I think that's because JeanetteIsabelle sounds better to me when said with a french-canadian accent than a texas drawl laugh

I am one-quarter French, my second language is French and I was named after the traditional French Christmas carol "Un Flambeau, Jeanette, Isabelle."

I therefore understand why you have that impression.

Jeanette Isabelle

#186967 - 10/30/09 04:48 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, but since DFW is not the only Metroplex, adding DFW is probably a good idea for an audience that extends outside DFW.

Notice that SOCAL is also on the wiki list as a Metroplex. Nobody I know refers to SOCAL as a Metroplex.

#186983 - 10/30/09 05:42 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Contrarian opinion: Replies should be based on what you know best, typically the replier's locale not necessarily the question poster's locale. So, while I do not think it hurts for the questioner to post their location, I think it is much more important for those who reply to do so.

And why don't you just include your locale in your profile?

#186993 - 10/30/09 06:25 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I do not think it hurts for the questioner to post their location, I think it is much more important for those who reply to do so."

It seems to me that people could give better advice if they know the likely conditions. A major earthquake in winter in Missouri would have a whole host of additional problems from a major earthquake in SoCal in winter. A lot of good information could be tilted toward existing conditions, and other info would be useless.

Sue

#186994 - 10/30/09 06:40 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: NightHiker]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
ahhhhh, I thought I remembered you posting something in French at one time. Ok, I'm going back to my mental image of you having a French accent - don't destroy my illusion if you don't have the one wink

As those in the French community in Texas say, "Bonjour y'all!"

Jeanette Isabelle

#187004 - 10/30/09 08:33 PM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: 7point82]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: 7point82
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Saying I live in The Metroplex is what I accustomed to and everybody in Texas knows what The Metroplex is. After all, the term was coined for this metropolitan area by an ad agency for the NTC (North Texas Commission).

For clarification I'm changing it to Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

Jeanette Isabelle

If it's any consolation, at least one person here knew what you meant. I guess the term only works within about 500 miles of DFW. grin

Make that two and I'm a Canadian living in the Caribbean! ;-)

#187029 - 10/31/09 01:59 AM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendati [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Saying I live in The Metroplex is what I accustomed to and everybody in Texas knows what The Metroplex is. After all, the term was coined for this metropolitan area by an ad agency for the NTC (North Texas Commission).

For clarification I'm changing it to Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

Jeanette Isabelle

Rest assured that everyone outside of Texas has no idea what "the metroplex" means. I've never heard that term until now.

That also goes for people that live in the "Bay Area". That term always amuses me. I have to ask, "What, Hudson Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Tampa Bay, Bay of Fundy, which is it?" Like there's only one Bay in the entire world....

Sorry, I'll step down off my soapbox now...

#187030 - 10/31/09 02:02 AM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendati [Re: sodak]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
where's your soapbox located at....;^)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#187041 - 10/31/09 03:58 AM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendations [Re: Susan]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I’ve always tried to avoid ambiguity where I can, so that is why my profile has always specified, “Dallas, Pennsylvania, United States.” (“Always” being at least since I moved to this location. wink) I just wish people would actually pay more attention to the fact that is says, “Dallas, Pennsylvania,” not, “Dallas, Texas.” Oh, well.

#187042 - 10/31/09 03:59 AM Re: Posting where you live helps with recommendati [Re: sodak]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: sodak
That also goes for people that live in the "Bay Area". That term always amuses me. I have to ask, "What, Hudson Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Tampa Bay, Bay of Fundy, which is it?" Like there's only one Bay in the entire world....

I don't know what is so amusing. While there is more than one metroplex, there is one place known as The Metroplex for the term was coined for this area; only a few million people know this.

I don't know the history to know why the Bay Area is specific to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.