Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186877 - 10/30/09 01:10 AM Wood you can (and can't) burn
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Another thread had passing references to wood you can burn, and wood you should never burn.

This is worth a thread in itself. It's useful information for scrounging/recycling fuel, in normal times or emergency.

My understanding is:

1) Never burn pressure-treated lumber. Anything that kills fungus will likely do you harm. If it sits on or near grade, it's probably treated.

Most of the new residential stuff uses copper-based compounds. Older stuff, and certain industrial-grade structural wood products, uses arsenic. Avoid.

2) Other real wood products, such as 2x4 studs, are okay for heat. But I'm leery of cooking food directly on the flames. I hear rumours (high-quality hearsay) that kiln-dried lumber is sprayed with fungicide before it is shipped. There are no warning labels, but it doesn't break down nearly as fast as natural wood. Hmm.

3) Laminated-type products like plywood or oriented-strand board (OSB board) are a question mark. I wouldn't cook food directly over them. But I have thrown small pieces in the wood stove; they burn like the dickens, hot enough to overheat the stove if you use too much. But I don't know ... better off in a landfill?

Thoughts?

#186879 - 10/30/09 01:37 AM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: dougwalkabout]
Redbeard Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA state of confusion
never burn poison oak/ivy...

#187000 - 10/30/09 07:39 PM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: Redbeard]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I have wood I burn inside and wood I burn only for camping.

Anything with a lot of sap I burn for camping.
Anything dry I burn inside.

I also never burn what you mention no matter the location.

Camping I burn pine cones, etc too, and never inside.

Make sure you say WHERE you burn it wink

#187036 - 10/31/09 02:39 AM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: Todd W]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
In my burn barrel I burn about anything that's scrap from my dads shop in his garage. I don't cook on it, just for me fire pit. Haven't noticed any headaches or issues but not cooking on it.

#187222 - 11/02/09 07:46 PM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: comms]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I seem to remember being told when I was a kid to never burn holly.

#187224 - 11/02/09 08:17 PM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: gonewiththewind]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
I understand that you can't burn zumac. The smoke is poisonous and apparently, food cooked over zumac will poison you.

#187225 - 11/02/09 08:20 PM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: gonewiththewind]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Holly is okay to burn (the berries are poisonous), but doing so is considered sacrilegious by some people.

Never burn any part of oleander shrubs, even the smoke is toxic.

Sue

#187373 - 11/04/09 12:41 AM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: Susan]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
From a camping trip too many years ago...

A group of us were camping, each night we'd drive somewhere else and everyone rotated duties...one night, the campfire wood collector was amazingly quick returning with the load of wood for the night. The other 11 of us were too busy setting up tents etc. trying to beat the imminent rainstorm. We all ended up rain soaked and ate cold dinner in our tents.

In the near darkness, we all failed to notice that he had brought back pieces of creosote coated railroad ties that had been discarded when an old railway was dismantled somewhere in the local area. At some point, the wood collector went back out after the rain stopped and lit a fire which stayed lit (barely) the rest of the night. Next morning, we all woke up with amazingly bad headaches from the fumes that resulted. At least we all woke up. Had we been in a less breezy area it could have been different.

Here are a few other things that you don't want to burn or cook over:
Brazilian Pepper trees, also known as Florida Holly.
Austrailian Pine trees.
Melalluca trees.
Poisen Oak, Ivy or Sumac.
Any tree or vegetation with white sap.
Building materials, i.e. plywood, tar paper, shingles, painted wood and the like.
There are many others.

Regards,
Comanche7

#187417 - 11/04/09 06:14 AM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: Comanche7]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Comanche7
From a camping trip too many years ago...

A group of us were camping, each night we'd drive somewhere else and everyone rotated duties...one night, the campfire wood collector was amazingly quick returning with the load of wood for the night. The other 11 of us were too busy setting up tents etc. trying to beat the imminent rainstorm. We all ended up rain soaked and ate cold dinner in our tents.

In the near darkness, we all failed to notice that he had brought back pieces of creosote coated railroad ties that had been discarded when an old railway was dismantled somewhere in the local area. At some point, the wood collector went back out after the rain stopped and lit a fire which stayed lit (barely) the rest of the night. Next morning, we all woke up with amazingly bad headaches from the fumes that resulted. At least we all woke up. Had we been in a less breezy area it could have been different.

Here are a few other things that you don't want to burn or cook over:
Brazilian Pepper trees, also known as Florida Holly.
Austrailian Pine trees.
Melalluca trees.
Poisen Oak, Ivy or Sumac.
Any tree or vegetation with white sap.
Building materials, i.e. plywood, tar paper, shingles, painted wood and the like.
There are many others.

Regards,
Comanche7

I`ll burn painted wood outside.
I don't think all painted wood is actually bad to breath... but I make it a point to not be in the smoke when I do burn it.

#187426 - 11/04/09 01:11 PM Re: Wood you can (and can't) burn [Re: GauchoViejo]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo
I understand that you can't burn zumac. The smoke is poisonous and apparently, food cooked over zumac will poison you.

I noticed that your location is Argentina; I see that spelled Sumac here, but I assume we're talking about the same thing.

It's quite a coincidence, because I was just researching Sumac yesterday. I found this web site (poison-sumac.org) devoted entirely to Poison Sumac!
Apparently, Poison Sumac is even more toxic than Poison Ivy or Posion Oak.
The good news is that Posion Sumac is very rare, occuring only in Wetlands ... and, apparently, "very wet" Wetlands at that.

That's good news for me, because I needed to cut some Staghorn Sumac (not poisonous) out of a fence row.
If I even "look at Poison Ivy or Posion Oak the wrong way", I get a rash eek... so, I know I don't ever want to tangle with Poison Sumac.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.