Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#186822 - 10/29/09 01:04 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: ironraven]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: ironraven
I'm more worried about the UPS or FedEx guys going "wait... I know who has order lots of stuff!"

That why I hate mail ordering preps. smile

If you mail order what are obvious preps, also make sure you order a decent supply of ammo that's delivered via mail. If the delivery guys know you are armed, they are less likely to want to tangle with you. If they know you are armed and do tangle with you, it's probably going to be nasty and, IMO, is only likely to occur in a real TEOTWAKI scenario.

Speaking of delivered, I'm waiting for a FedEx guy right now, who is supposed to be bringing me a new toy from the CMP.

Edited by Dan_McI (10/29/09 02:28 PM)

#186827 - 10/29/09 02:12 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Dan_McI]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The Fed Ex, UPS and USPS delivery people are the last ones I worry about.

They all know I have a big dog.

#186829 - 10/29/09 03:05 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Susan]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Too many armed people.

total guns in the US 223,000,000

^ "Bureau of Justice Statistics Selected Findings". http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/guic.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-21.

Total US armed forces 3,385,400

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_active_troops

#186835 - 10/29/09 04:02 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Pete]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"There's NO way that the US Gov't is going to commandeer food or water supplies from average citizens. It ain't happenin'. If they try it - they will get a face full of bullets. Seriously!"

Seems as though I recall hearing of rationing programs during WWII, whereby the US Govt commandeered a lot of food and other items to feed/supply the troops with, and the civilians got rations of things like fresh meat, vegetables etc. Now I realize this ain't the same as coming into your home and cleaning out your cupboards, but I suspect if the US govt wanted our food, they would more likely grab it long before we ever even see it. Likewise our water supplies. In fact, they'd probably have confiscated it long before we even knew it was gone.

Knowing that, it kinda reinforces the notion of hoarding food at home even moreso. I doubt the govt would want to bother with the hassle of home to home confiscation, not when they can be the first in line at the supermarket before the doors even open for the rest of us.

#186836 - 10/29/09 04:22 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: benjammin]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I suppose, if the gov't was inclined to confiscate food from households, it would make sense to start with the year's supply in every Mormon's pantry...

#186845 - 10/29/09 06:30 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: benjammin]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: benjammin
but I suspect if the US govt wanted our food, they would more likely grab it long before we ever even see it. Likewise our water supplies. In fact, they'd probably have confiscated it long before we even knew it was gone.

I think Benjammin's right. The ability to control access and distribution is far more important than anything else. We're just small fries.

#186857 - 10/29/09 07:59 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...they would more likely grab it long before we ever even see it. Likewise our water supplies."

Now that I would believe in a heartbeat. That was the reason for the Victory Gardens. I believe all governments do that.

I used to have an English couple as neighbors. During WWII, he was in the Army and going home on leave when a guy sold him a 'hot' chicken (no, not roasted). He found an old pack or something and put the chicken in it on the train. Since chickens can't see in the dark, they're quiet, so he was able to get it to his recent bride in London and they had a nice chicken dinner, a Big Deal at the time.

There was also a severe reduction in the number of wild rabbits, as good hunters were selling them to the butchers, who were mostly staying in business this way. Tom also advised his wife to only buy 'rabbits' that had their heads on, as some people were selling cats as rabbit meat.

Sue

#186859 - 10/29/09 08:09 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Susan
only buy 'rabbits' that had their heads on, as some people were selling cats as rabbit meat.

Sue

America's stray cat population equals a lot of protein.

Ick.

#186880 - 10/30/09 01:45 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Dagny]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: Susan
only buy 'rabbits' that had their heads on, as some people were selling cats as rabbit meat.

Sue

America's stray cat population equals a lot of protein.

Ick.

Ick is right in my current frame of mind. However, I can imagine extreme hunger could change my mind. I hope to never find out.

#186888 - 10/30/09 02:46 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Dan_McI]
Redbeard Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA state of confusion
cat. the other white meat.

seriously, having eaten cougar, i think cat would be quite good if the need arose to have to eat it...but, given the choice, i think i would try for something else first. smile

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.