Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#186747 - 10/28/09 06:56 PM Building an urban storage shed for preparedness
Henry_Porter Offline

I am going to replace a small decrepit metal tool shed and want to maximize it for a few garden tools and for a growing inventory of preparedness items.

An online search has turned up some ideas, but I'm hoping the forum might have some recommendations, caveats, etc.

My general specifications:
  • plans that I can use to build with my beginner/intermediate building skills or that I can hire someone to build for me
  • I expect I'll get a building permit
  • want to collect water from roof and collect in two 55-gallon food-grade drums
  • may or may not run electricity to it (for lights and limited power tool usage)
  • located in a climate with four seasons, high of 35 C, low of 0 C
  • plan to store garden and hand tools, bicycles, some camping gear, lanterns, fishing gear, parts bins, etc.
  • approximate dimensions desired: 10'wide x 12'deep x 10' tall
  • needs to be well-secured - I'd like vents to help with temperature extremes but maybe just a door otherwise to reduce points of entry. (love the idea of skylights, solar panels, barred windows
  • I'm currently saving for this project but haven't fixed a budget yet.

With no basement, garage or attic, I have very little indoor storage, which I am using mainly for additional food storage and items that need the moderate temperature/humidity environment of my home. The shed is going to be a real boon to my organization and improving my being "equipped to survive."

Thanks for any ideas or tips you can share.

#186750 - 10/28/09 07:09 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Henry_Porter]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Go to Home Depot, Lowes, Orchard Supply and at least check out their outbuildings and tool sheds. If nothing else, it will give you some ideas.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#186751 - 10/28/09 07:10 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Henry_Porter]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Great project!

Perhaps plan to build the basics with room to add more expensive stuff, like solar, later?

Nobody ever had too much storage. Can you build with the idea of adding to the shed down the road?

Will you need or want to be able to shelter yourself [doghouse] or others in the shed if the house becomes uninhabitable?

Good luck!

Edited by dweste (10/28/09 07:10 PM)

#186755 - 10/28/09 07:43 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: dweste]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Hm, hmm, lots of ideas but it's hard to say anything specific without some pictures of the site and maybe a very basic drawing of what you're looking for.

Would you prefer to build a new shed from scratch or buy a prefabricated shed (and possibly modify it later on)? Either way, lots of options, largely depending on your budget and whether you want a permanent or just temporary structure.

In terms of construction...
- metal frame & sheet metal shed
- metal frame and wood
- just wood
- brick
- reinforced concrete TEOTWAWKI bunker w/ basement a.k.a. underground nuclear shelter
- ...?

If you want to do most of the construction yourself take a good look at what skills, tools and machinery you have already. Some options might be easier than others. Either way, best of luck with your project!

#186762 - 10/28/09 08:13 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Tom_L]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT

#186765 - 10/28/09 08:22 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: UncleGoo]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
And this seems a step up from the steel storage shed, but it caught my eye - http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/realestate/2009943992_prefabhomeoffice27.html.

#186766 - 10/28/09 08:31 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Tom_L]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I've built two sheds almost exactly like you describe.

Just a couple of things to think about

What are you going to build it on? Concrete slab, dirt, grass, slope, etc? That's probably the first thing to think about. Most important thing is to keep everything level and square, it'll save you a lot of headaches later on. If you're building on flat concret, that's a lot easier than on a grassy slope cuz you won't have to make a level foundation.

Once you have the foundation set the actual construction is fairly easy. Total cost (about 6 years ago), came out to maybe $1200? +/-, I don't remember the exact cost but it was roughly half of what you would have paid at Home Depot for the same size, and much better quality.

Didn't really follow any plans, just estimated how much materials, then started building. 2x4's on 16" centers, 2x6 rafters, exterior 3/4" plywood panel walls w/1x3 molding around the exterior edges to give it a finished look. Roof was just plain asphalt shingles over plywood. I think it took about 2 days for actual construction with 6 people, then another couple weeks to finally get around to painting and finish roofing. Added a couple of wall vents and a roof ventilator to help with the temperatures in the summer time, it does get very hot inside. Doors were also 2x4 and plywood construction. Most importantly, while you're designing it keep in mind plywood comes in 48" widths, so plan the stud locations carefully so you don't need to do any extra cutting. That might mean the final wall sizes might be something like 9'10" x 11'9" (for example), but you won't end up with a lot of odd size scrap pieces left over that are 2" too short to use anywhere. If you have the room to make it taller, you can also add a couple of rafters up top to store really long bulky items to conserve floor space.

If you plan on collecting water off the roof you'll probably need a certain type of roofing material, then you also have to install gutters. Shouldn't be too hard, but will probably add more cost.

Also, unless you build it out of brick/concrete, there's only so much you can do to make it secure. Anything more than a padlock or two on the door, and thieves will just cut through the wall to get it in. I'd skip the windows if this is just for storage, your stuff doesn't need to see out, and you don't want people seeing in. Plus it will take up valuable wall space inside if you want to install shelves or stack boxes. If you alredy have an idea of what you are going to store in it, you can build shelves into the wall during construction.

#186772 - 10/28/09 09:21 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: Henry_Porter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not being familiar with your situation, I don't understand why you don't just fill your water drums with tap water. I could see collecting rainwater for use in watering crops and the like.

#186774 - 10/28/09 09:36 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: ducktapeguy]
Henry_Porter Offline

JohnE: good tip re: checking out the readymades at the DIY/Home Improvement stores in town.

dweste: yes, I actually could approach this as a Phase 1/Phase 2. I hadn't thought of that and like the idea alot.

Tom_L: good questions; I hadn't really thought enough about different construction materials and their pros/cons. Also I definitely need to take a cold-eyed look at my current skills and tools. Should be a fun project, especially with a sidekick helping me.

UncleGoo: Wow, nice tip. Opened my mind to new possibilities. Thoreau's cabin might be just the think to make the shed into a Man-House or "Fortress of Solitude".

Lono: wow, the Modern Cabana. If I make my space this nice, it might be more comfortable than my home. Then I could put my work shop in the living room. Sweet!

ducktapeguy: excellent info re: foundations and leveling. Thanks for sharing budget range and process from your experience. Very good to have the sizing tips because I'm leaning toward the materials you mention, with perhaps a tin roof if I can address the heat issue. Good points about windows and security. (The biggest obstacle aside from budget is accepting that my bicycles and tools will be merely padlocked in a shed rather than stuff around my house.)

Thank you very much to each of you.

#186777 - 10/28/09 10:08 PM Re: Building an urban storage shed for preparedness [Re: hikermor]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Try to make the sheds match the style of the house.
You know, similar siding, roofing and trim. Same colours of paint if you can.
It is just for aesthetics but if you ever decide to sell the property it becomes a feature.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.