The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#186486 - 10/25/09 11:25 PM "Confiscated for the common good"
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There have been previous conversations here where some folks felt that Authority (police, army, etc) might/would attempt to take the supplies (esp food) from individuals or families that have prepared, to spread it out among those who didn't see fit to prepare.

Exactly how likely do you think this is?

Personally, I don't think it's very likely, but if I am overlooking something fairly obvious, I would like to hear about it.

First, even though a store like Costco could keep a list of what you buy, or a Power Behind the Store might see fit to do it, or some entity kept track of every bar code scanned by every store by everyone who purchased as much as a candy bar, I think it's hardly likely.

Second, even what some of the hardest-core people on this or any other survival site might collect, it would probably still be a fairly miniscule amount if divided among thousands of HaveNots.

Thirdly, if conditions warranted such an intrusion, one might suspect that much of the infrastructure was down enough to hinder such searches and seizures.

So, how likely do you think this scenario REALLY is?

Sue (maybe cynical and paranoid, but not THAT cynical and paranoid)

#186487 - 10/25/09 11:52 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Susan]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Not gonna happen. Commercial and government resources are simply vastly more logistically available, at least until we are reduced to roving bands of spiky haired mutants roaming the shattered wastelands.

#186489 - 10/25/09 11:57 PM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Jeff_M]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Agree with Jeff.

#186490 - 10/26/09 12:02 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Dagny]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I think that if it was going to happen, we'd have already seen it happen in some of the flood/natural disaster responses we've already seen.

I don't think they could have kept it a secret if they had, so I don't think it's happened before, and I don't think it will happen in the future.

#186492 - 10/26/09 12:13 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Compugeek]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I think Jeff has it exactly right.
If they are going to requisition food supplies they need truckloads, trainloads, shiploads. Not a few cases of tinned beans here and there.
It would be the warehouses, feedlots and grain silos that would get used.
In North America the biggest problems would be setting up the soup kitchens and the transportation instead of getting enough food to feed people.
---
I saw a band of spiky haired mutants once, not quite bluegrass music, but not far off.

#186493 - 10/26/09 12:40 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Jeff_M]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
Not gonna happen. Commercial and government resources are simply vastly more logistically available, at least until we are reduced to roving bands of spiky haired mutants roaming the shattered wastelands.

I think you have it right. The key to understanding this is scale. What might be seen as a vast cornucopia for a family of four is insignificant for the thousands, possibly millions, most states have to worry about. Get to the national level and your vast larder doesn't even register. In the end any family, or even community, supplies are just not worth the time, trouble and diesel fuel to go get them.

A community of any significant size will be looking at major stockpiles. Like the Walmart or Costco regional distribution center, grain silos, warehouses. And if previous custom hold the people who own the resources will be compensated.

I wouldn't worry about the National Guard kicking in my door to haul away by supplies of Beanie-Wienie and generic aspirin.

#186494 - 10/26/09 12:49 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Art_in_FL]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Though, and I am fairly certain I am INcorrect, I believe some unsavory LEO after Katrina did do some confiscation most likely for personal gain. Fairly certain they confiscated firearms. I would love to be wrong on both points.

#186496 - 10/26/09 01:24 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'm more worried about the UPS or FedEx guys going "wait... I know who has order lots of stuff!"

That why I hate mail ordering preps. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#186497 - 10/26/09 01:27 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: comms]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Such confiscation would also be a highly risky business. I would assume that at least half of the neighbors around me are well armed, and that a lot of them would open fire in the event of a home invasion during a community crisis, whether the invaders claimed to be police/official or not.

#186499 - 10/26/09 01:37 AM Re: "Confiscated for the common good" [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeff_M

Exactly.

Not to mention:

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Such confiscation would also be a highly risky business. I would assume that at least half of the neighbors around me are well armed, and that a lot of them would open fire in the event of a home invasion during a community crisis, whether the invaders claimed to be police/official or not.

Uninvited "guests" tend to get their @$$ shot off around these parts.....

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 190 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.