Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186465 - 10/25/09 04:43 PM Pigeons (a brace of squab?)
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
(Not sure where this belongs, so I'm posting it here.)

I periodically have common pigeons (Rock Doves) trying to set up housekeeping in an old barn in my property.

They're very insistent, breaking through screens and going through all sorts of contortions to get in.

They also make an unholy mess. (I store good lumber etc. in the hayloft.)

My first thought is to banish them yet again, plugging up holes, and possibly plugging the perpetrators.

But maybe I'm going about this all wrong. They were domesticated as meat birds thousands of years ago. Maybe I should be encouraging them, building a nest loft to control the mess, with the option of charging "rent" in the form of meat for the pot.

Anybody have any experience with pigeons? What do you all think?

#186468 - 10/25/09 06:39 PM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: dougwalkabout]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Pigeon and chicken coop instructions:
http://www.abe.psu.edu/extension/ip/IP727-25.pdf
Of course it you are putting in a pigeon loft you can just make a one way entry for them with the roosts, shelves and nest boxes inside a cage of chicken wire or whatever to close them in.
You will want to be able to leave the trapping gate open so they can go out to feed but you also might want to shut it at night so racoons or weasels can't get to them.

You could just get or make a pigeon trap too. They are not hard to build and even a fairly small one will hold 20 pigeons with space for water and feed until you are ready to cook them.

A fancy pigeon pie recipe:
http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-01423j.html

#186470 - 10/25/09 07:48 PM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: scafool]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have eaten urban pigeon. I grilled it on the BBQ. meh. not impressed.

I have had 'squab' in restaurants just to compare and it was considerably better. So it must be me.

#186481 - 10/25/09 09:32 PM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: comms]
sotto Offline
Addict

How to cook a pigeon on a homemade cooker.

Pigeons are excellent airgun quarry (or slingshot). ;-)

#186482 - 10/25/09 09:56 PM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: sotto]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Pigeon = OK

Sea Gull = Only if Desperate

RIP OBG

#186491 - 10/26/09 12:04 AM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: Desperado]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
My understanding is that squab is young pigeon, probably fledged but not out of the nest. (Hence the nest box idea ... "1, 2, 3 ... hey, where's little Charlie?" ;-)

Adult birds are said to be a lot tougher. The ones I've had were done in a slow cooker, in sauce.

I don't think I'd fuss with plucking a bird that small. Just take the breast and drumsticks. The ravens will clean up the rest.

#186501 - 10/26/09 01:41 AM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

On small upland birds (quail, etc) we always just cut the head and wings off, then split the skin/feathers and peeled it all off. Clean out the in(sides) and pull off the breast/legs.

Get to cooking dear......

RIP OBG

#186506 - 10/26/09 02:51 AM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: Desperado]
sotto Offline
Addict

I've often wondered if the old technique we used when cleaning pheasants in Iowa would work with pigeons, and similar birds.

With pheasants, we used to lay the bird on its back, spread one wing well out, place a foot on top of it right snug up next to the body, then do exactly the same on the other side. Grab the pheasant securely by both legs/feet, and pull strongly and steadily upward. In about 1 second you have the skinned breast laying on the ground neatly stripped from the guts and everything else, and all you have to do is cut off the wings. If you want the legs, there's a bit more work to be done, but we rarely bothered since most of the meat is in the breast. All very neat and clean. My wife would take the best feathers and make Christmas ornaments out of them for gifts, particularly for the farmer and his family who let us hunt their property in the first place.

#186522 - 10/26/09 09:44 AM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: sotto]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sotto
I've often wondered if the old technique we used when cleaning pheasants in Iowa would work with pigeons, and similar birds.

With pheasants, we used to lay the bird on its back, spread one wing well out, place a foot on top of it right snug up next to the body, then do exactly the same on the other side. Grab the pheasant securely by both legs/feet, and pull strongly and steadily upward. In about 1 second you have the skinned breast laying on the ground neatly stripped from the guts and everything else, and all you have to do is cut off the wings. If you want the legs, there's a bit more work to be done, but we rarely bothered since most of the meat is in the breast. All very neat and clean. My wife would take the best feathers and make Christmas ornaments out of them for gifts, particularly for the farmer and his family who let us hunt their property in the first place.

Basically the same as we did with pheasant. On smaller birds, you just peel the flesh back at the breast almost like opening a book. With small birds, the "step on the wings" method often results in a wingless carcass or a legless carcass that still needs to be skinned.

It also helped to deliver 1 of every 3 birds to the farmer, but we were from out of state, so that was a lot easier than shipping gifts later.

Edited by Desperado (10/26/09 09:47 AM)

RIP OBG

#186538 - 10/26/09 02:53 PM Re: Pigeons (a brace of squab?) [Re: Desperado]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
When I got permission to pheasant hunt or deer hunt on someones personal property, I always gave a cut to the property owner. It ensures good relations for years to come.

There was a great shop in Billings, MT that if you brought in your deer for butchering, he would weigh out the meat and give you the option of waiting for your meat to be cut into steaks, salami, venison etc. or give you same poundage, same day already. He also had deerskin clothing like vests, chaps, pants, boots and gloves that he adjusted the prices. Gave some great flannel lined and fur lined gloves out for gifts that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.